Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Flailing Escapist said:
And here I was; I couldn't decide if I wanted to get Battlefield 3 for my PC or my 360.
Thanks for making it easier for me! XD
You should read about the compromises they're making for consoles.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111901-DICE-Details-Console-Compromises-in-Battlefield-3

I wouldn't want to touch the console version with those compromises.
*reads article*
Goddammit.
I hope the singleplayer blows my mind.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Frost27 said:
PC gaming community freaks the he'll out regardless of the fact that valve did precisely the same thing years ago with Half-Life and Steam in order to force an early presence on the market in 3...2...

(and in answer to the above, if it is an issue of authentication and stat tracking, consoles will likely connect to EA in the background just like Mass Effect 2)
So? People raged ALOt when valve did that not sur if i get your point. If people had been ok with valve doing the same sure it would be hypocritical. But the outrage when hl2 came out was massive. now that everyone has steam and its great no one complains of course. But BF3 will be the first origins game for alot of people who had their digital games all in one place before.
I will only launch it to play bf 3 after thats done it won't bother me. would have preferd the gamersgate model, online store without any client at all. It's not like the client is needed for games to function, just artifical inconvenience for sales.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, probably not buying Battlefield 3 on PC if this is the case. EA was shitty enough trying to support BF2 and I don't want to be dependent on one of their services to play my games.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I'm not installing a whole new steam so I can use 1 game.

This is the thing that most influenced me not to buy the game.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
If origin means good support for the game and maybe even free dlc update thingys i dont think its a bad trade, i used the program for the alpha and it seemd to work fine for what it did and did not take up much ram so this is no supprise and i dont mind as long as i get to play

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I can understand why everyone here's getting up in arms about this, but the way I see it, it's only a bad idea if the program itself is bad. So is it any good? I don't know, I've never used it. As other people have said before, Steam was pretty sub-par when it launched (and, to be perfectly honest, it only really functions at an acceptable level for myself half the time anyway), and that turned into a juggernaut of games distribution. So what about Origin? Is it about the same level as Steam, or basically EA's version of GFWL?

Although, just looking at the wiki page [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_%28digital_distribution_platform%29] for Origin, I'm not particularly impressed with this part:

Medal of Honor: Airborne costs $21.15 AUD in the United States but costs $99.99 AUD in Australia as of July 2008
Now, that's three years ago, but if this kind of shit is being pulled on a regular basis even now on Origin, I see no reason to even consider aiding EA in their quest to topple Steam as the leader of DD.

Loufly

May 8, 2010
The difference to me as a consumer is simple, I trust Steam & Valve for the most part to do right by me and the gaming community and they have proven this to me time and time again, being Australian steam enables me to play more then 3 games per year without having to justify the cost of admission, thanks in-large to steams sales.

Origin/EA on the other hand have proven nothing to me in-fact it has proven the opposite I dislike them as a publisher and I loath them as a digital distributer, since they have started this venture they have made no valid reason for me to cross over to Origin, they have instead angered me by forcing me to use their client whether I like it or not.

What it all ends up coming down to for me is that I like having all my games in one place, ignorant, selfish and bad for market distribution as a whole call it what you will but it's the old console woe, if I have 230 games on my PS3 and then Microsoft suddenly says "No this is going to be exclusive, that is going to be exclusive and all those games we released a few months ago we're also taking those off of your platform and making them exclusive."

I'm not going to turn around and say "Je jolly wiz, I better go buy a new Xbox just so I can play that game." no I'm going to say "Fine then bugger off I don't want your business."

You could argue that consoles and digital distribution clients are two separate entities but the fact still remains a lot of people (not all) won't buy into or even commit to another platform if they are already heavily invested in another.

again I'm drawing this from my personal view as a consumer, I'm not looking at this from a community stand point or indeed as business stand point either.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Waaghpowa said:
EverythingIncredible said:
BioWare already definitively said that this isn't want they're going to do.
Not that I care about using their DRM, but didn't EA spend weeks swearing up and down that they weren't trashing Valve in favour of Origin? Just because Bioware said they wont, doesn't mean they're not lying.
This info came from our community manager. Who is ALWAYS upfront with us. Even when the news isn't pleasant.

That said, I haven't seen any definitive proof that they are trashing Valve. I guess you could assume that, but I try not to assume.
It's kinda hard not to assume they are trying to trash valve considering the most recent squabbles regarding their recent titles. The way I see it, it's EA's way of marketing which, as we've seen in the past, has always been kinda dumb.
Flailing Escapist said:
Waaghpowa said:
Flailing Escapist said:
And here I was; I couldn't decide if I wanted to get Battlefield 3 for my PC or my 360.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111901-DICE-Details-Console-Compromises-in-Battlefield-3

*reads article*
Goddammit.
I hope the singleplayer blows my mind.
I honestly would still get it for PC, it's not worth spending all that money on a console game for single player when it's original intention was MP. Origin isn't going to be a huge issue if you only get the one game. People are blowing this way out of proportion.

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
Tesral said:
Darn it... I really want Battlefield 3, but i don't want to help support Origin, i'm firmly against the idea of EA taking their games off Steam to force us to use their service instead.
Caught in a bit of a pickle here.
And this is why I am happy that I am mainly a console gamer. I don't have to put up with all the shit that the PC gamers have to.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
OptimusPrime33 said:
Alphakirby said:
This makes me care even less than when they said no Battlefield 3 on Steam. Now I officially give 0 fucks whatsoever about this game because I am not giving half of my hard drive to EA's service...I already have to deal with Steam in the background for Christ's sake.
That image is the best.

OT: Why are people getting upset about this? You don't HAVE to buy the game on Steam, you can just get your lazy asses off the computer chair and go to Game Stop or wherever to get it.
The reason people are throwing a shit fit is because the game requires Origin to be used as a launcher, even if you buy it retail or on a different digital distribution service.

OT: Time to wait for the bargain bin. D:

park92

Aug 1, 2009
Flailing Escapist said:
well if you get it for the PC then you wouldnt need to pay 60 bucks an year for a gold membership

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
killamanhunter said:
OH NOEZ I HAF 2 US TEH DUM EA THNG?!?!

DIS GAM WIL SUK SCRW U EA!

I really don't see the problem, you can still keep your Steam browser and Steam games. All it is, is a new launcher for the game.
But how do we know this won't sap RAM and CPU cycles and make the game harder to play because you don't have a fast-enough connection? Plus, people are upset at EA not just because of the Origin thing, but that they've been lying by saying that Steam's TOS are too restrictive. If that was the case, why did they not institute this earlier with another game like Crysis 2 or even BF:BC2?

OT: I was considering buying it retail so I wouldn't have to install Origin, just to make things simpler, but if I can't even put it IN Steam or if I want to upload screenshots for my friends, I can't. I don't want another digital distributor just to play ONE game!

I don't know what EA's even coming out with after BF3, so it could be the only game I'll need it for! If I feel like I can be arsed, I might buy it on PC, but I'm leaning towards the PS3 version.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
I could've supported Origin. I could've. Unfortunately, EA has made it all but impossible. Blatantly breaking the Steam rules of service (essentially piggy backing Steam to take all the customers, and cash while giving back less), blaming Steam, making them out to be the bad people in all this. NO. BAD EA. Then, all the while doing it to make it so people would switch to Origin? WORSE. Its clear all EA wants is money, and they see Steam, who has been earning them money for a while, as an obstacle. They want it gone. Clear by how they support other download services. They should have been honest. Told people "We want a larger cut. Please excuse this transitional phase as we move to our own service." But no. They kept silent, tried to bad mouth a GOOD company (one who doesn't milk, releases all highest of high quality games) and did it all for money and publicity.

THAT, is a company I cannot support, nor a service which I will give any cash to.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
manythings said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
manythings said:
TheGoldenMan said:
"Steam doesn't update EA games like we want them to so... No Battlefield. We promise! It's about updates!"

Days later. Battlefield requires Origin.
Fuck it. I'm playing it on my Xbox.
And many, MANY games require Steam. Everything bad people are going to say about this Valve has already done a long time ago.
Origin is nothing like STEAM as according to what I have heard about it so far. STEAM has its cons yes, but for almost everything it takes away it gives something else back in return. Origin doesn't appear to do anything whatsoever besides kicking the consumer in the balls for the benefit of EA's wallet (or so they think, we will see how people will react to their scheme soon enough).
Origin is just like Steam. Except right now you only need it for a grand total of one game unlike Steam which appeared as a Requirement if you wanted to play the Orange box. You're options were install Steam or fuck yourself. They have been steadily increasing the number of occasions where those are your only options.

If EA are bad for doing it now Valve are worse for being the creating this whole idea.
No, Origin is in fact not just like STEAM.

I love it how people claim to be bashing "valve fanboys" when they don't even appear to know what Origin is suppose to do. Valve offers a wide ranger of services and nice things to its community, like insane discounts just to name one example. Origin by contrast (as far as I have heard that is) actually expects you to PAY for pre-orders of digital products and can suspend your account if you don't use it for a X amount of time. And their prices are also higher people say. It should also be noted that this being EA, which was responsible for the abomination that was SPORE's DRM is not very trustworthy so I don't want their programs anywhere near my PC. There also doesn't not appear to be any offline mode (correct me if I am wrong).

Origin is not the same as STEAM. At best, its a shitty knockoff that doesn't appear to have any of the advantages of STEAM while still bringing a good number of new problems on its own.
Well it is fanboyism, by definition, when you flat out ignore the things they do that are wrong and bad for the fans. Steam has been around 7 years if I remember correctly? For the first four it was shit as a service. Outstanding deals? During the sales this is true but on a regular day I can go to ten places and find a better base rate price than Valve is going to give me. greenmangaming, amazon, Zaavi, D2D and more usually put them to shame and Valve know it doesn't matter because people won't even check.

They're a business and they're going to do everything EA will do to keep making money with the big difference being people are just ignoring the monopolistic, anti-competitive monster that is Steam. Even other devs are forcing steam on their customers.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Flailing Escapist said:

So it'll be a lot like Bad Company 2 with new technology, maps, guns, and campaign? Not that bad honestly...

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
I honestly would still get it for PC, it's not worth spending all that money on a console game for single player when it's original intention was MP. Origin isn't going to be a huge issue if you only get the one game. People are blowing this way out of proportion.
park92 said:
Flailing Escapist said:
well if you get it for the PC then you wouldnt need to pay 60 bucks an year for a gold membership
I guess your right; I'll give the PC version a shot. I'm still somewhat disappointed that other game's PC version is being dumbed down to be "on level" with consoles. But oh well, it will still probably be a good game. =)

The only thing I want to know is if many more games will be Origin only.