Battlefield Producer Thinks Most Sandbox Games Are "Boring"

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, I'll say that with BF3 I'm more interested in the multiplayer. I just hope they keep that as open and huge and awesome as in previous true BF games. As for the campaign, I don't mind a more linear shooter sometimes, so we'll see. I mean I like the open design of Crysis (original) and Far Cry 2 (although the game kind of fell flat beyond that) - and who can pass up STALKER, but I also have enjoyed the more intense pacing of the linear CoD MW2, BlOps, BF:BC2, and even Metro 2033. So yeah, we'll see.

Just please make the multiplayer on PC 64 players with tanks, choppers, planes, and huge destructible maps... PLEASE!

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
I've spent thousands of hours on Bad Company 2 and never touched the single-player. Battlefield will always be a multi-player game first.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Most sandbox games are extremely dull

Exception time
Dead Rising 2
Fallout 3
Saint's Row 2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Most of them time Developers use "Sandboxing" to draw attention away from the fact that nothing in their game is interesting or original

You know like Borderlands, or Assassin's Creed

Or trying to stretch out a short story campaign by making sandboxing mandatory

Like Just Cause 2 or Crackdown 2. Or Assassin's Creed

Developers haven't learned how to use sandboxing appropriately yet.

And before you start Red Dead Redemption was NOT good sandboxing. Nothing you could do in the sandbox had anything to do with anything. You could have taken out half the useless crap in that game and it would have been better in my book.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Umm, people...

Bad Company 2's single player was fucking terrible, whereas despite the fact that CoD's single player story was not on the brighter side of things, it worked.

I'm rather glad about this. Should be much more quick paced gameplay

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
While his comments sound like pointless flamebait, at least it's good to know that the campaign has no pretents of being non-linear.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you might think highly of Bad Company 2 but the singleplayer of that game was lazy tacked-on bullshit. IW and Treyarch WORK on their campaigns.

Garrett Monthy

Apr 5, 2011
why not go one step further and give the franchise a new name like....call of battle?....or battlefield 3: rise of activision?...oh what i got it battlegrid!! yea that'll work

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I like a good sandbox, but I like a good linear campaign too. emphasis on 'Good'. Personally I think shooters are better suited to the latter style.

MakazeX

Mar 1, 2011
Wait...

Bach indicated that the upcoming Battlefield 3 would more closely resemble the likes of Call of Duty than the more-open Bad Company games.
*Sigh* Goodbye fun, large, extremely-fun battlefield games and hello CoD clone.

Just another franchise destroyed by greed and profit. At least the usual Drunk, xbox fanboys will be happy. (No, I have nothing against xbox, I have a thing against the people I meet on it in matchmaking.)

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Slim-Shot said:
I have a question... why can't Battlefield 3 simply resemble Battlefield 2?

Why does it even need a campaign mode with predictable set pieces? I'll tell you why - to pander to console players. Battlefield is a multiplayer game, period. 1942, Desert Combat, Vietnam, BF2, and 2142 were all without a single player campaign, and each was my favourite game of its period.

It seems that DICE is hell bent on rooting all of its fans over. The gaming market does not need ANOTHER generic contemporary military style shooter!
Why have SP become a CONSOLE thing now? :/

What's so bad about SP? Older games used to have SP as it's main even every single time except for Quake 3 and UT.

SP is a great part of the game if it's made well which I think they will do great. Also I don't really expect a fully open world game in a Modern combat game when I'm an infantry. I'm supposed to follow orders then.

GTA4 and Fallout works better for free roam. Military shooter usually don't because you'd be going AWOL.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Dumb. Stick to your own style EA. BC 1/2 were fun because of the openness of them. Battlefield 3 is just going to be what EA wanted Medal of Honor to be.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Istvan said:
I don't give a toss about quickscopers because I don't play multiplayer
Then why even bother reading this Battlefield-oriented topic. Battlefield is all about the freakin' multiplayer. And no, BF3's multi won't be a CoD clone. Not even remotely.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Bach indicated that the upcoming Battlefield 3 would more closely resemble the likes of Call of Duty than the more-open Bad Company games.

I swear to Thor if this statement isn't a joke.......

Slangeveld

Jun 1, 2010
From the responses I think that almost no one actually has the right image in mind when they think of Sandbox. Since I'm that kind of person, now I'm doubting my own image too.

> Image Image <

I do hope that the BF3-will-be-like-cod will be campaign related. I'll still hate it of course, since the main character doesn't talk. xD But I >love< Bad Company 2's multiplayer. And kind of dislike COD's multiplayer. (It has its moments, but BC2 has many more hours in)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
suitepee7 said:
so, GTA and Minecraft are not popular at all are they. silly FPS dev, making outrageous claims. and i see he's jumping on the CoD bandwagon to try to make the game sell better. that's just lowered my expectations a tad.
I like the challenge of writing a story for a sandbox environment. I thought Rockstar did it beautifully. Albeit their 4th run felt a little too linear.

San Andreas might be the closest they've come to me to a full experience.

But I have yet to play red dead redemption, thank you for reminding me. Ordering now (got 25 bucks off so I get it for 99 cents :D)

GM Rico

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
BF3 is going to be sweet. It's going to be all about the multiplayer anyways, the campaign is really a bonus compared to BF1 & 2. I'm sure it will be fun. Just look at the gameplay that's already out.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
To hell with sp! They have enough! Its a modern shooter we all know what the sp goin to be like. The only question is are we killin russians or middle eastern terrorist.

Bring me MP info its why i play modern shooters or bring back the "single" player of 1942