Bayonetta 3 Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So much happens towards the end. A lot I did not expect and caught me off guard and by surprise. Way to go Platinum! You've all outdone yourselves! I still consider Bayonetta 2 to be the best, but Bayonetta 3 is in my 2nd place spot. All of the call-backs and the references used works. That final boss battle and ending? Straight up turns in to Asura's Wrath and Dr. Strange.

This is the end, Cereza. Thank you for all of the wonderful times and memories. I do not regret these 12 years of stylish action from you. You, Luka, and Jeanne rest now. Similar to Nero, a new generation of action hero shall march forward. I look forward to Viola: our new Bayonetta.

To a new generation in the next game....
🍷

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Excellent.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts in January 2023 when I finish it then. Glad it lives up to expectations.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Interesting idea, but I am glad they never followed through on it. They can save it for the 4th game, or put the concept in a new IP.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dunkey has some points, and while some set pieces aren't perfect, some stuff he's exaggerating or boils down to YMMV. A number of things:

1. Most puzzles sections are not that long and can be figured out in 2-3 minutes. There is one tricky puzzle section, but if you pay attention, a player can figure it out instantly. Plus, there's not that many puzzle sections.
  2. While the story is the most serious of the trilogy, the game still knows to make fun of itself and have that same fun. The story has problems, but it's the characters that work and hold it together.
  3. While the other interactions with other Bayos could have been handled better, Bayo does talk to most of her counterparts or Jeanne's Egyptian counterpart. She even fights with Egyptian Jeanne in the next to last boss of that specific chapter. They ain't 5-10 minute conversations, but Bayo does speak and fight with most of her counterparts. Dunkey was not paying attention.
  4. There are a lot more cut-scenes, and that is true. My only problem is there are a lot more forced walking sections. They don't last long, but it makes me wonder: "Why didn't Platinum just make it a cut-scene or an extended part of the cut-scene?". Compared to Bayonetta 2, there's only two forced walking sections, while 3 has about 8-9 of them that last about 5-12 seconds.
  5. All Bayonetta games, individually or combined are better than anything Bay could ever come up with!
  6. Bayonetta 2 > Bayonetta 3 > Bayonetta. That includes gameplay, bonus content, story, and characters. 3 does have the best set pieces and weapon variety.
Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yahtzee shouldn't review sequels. He values originality, which sequels by definition almost always lack. He's gonna crap on new Sonic and God of War as well. I understand that he "has" to review these big titles to attract viewership but from a games criticism perspective, it is completely pointless.
Like his complaint about Bayonetta 3 is basically that it's another Bayonetta game lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yahtzee shouldn't review sequels. He values originality, which sequels by definition almost always lack. He's gonna crap on new Sonic and God of War as well. I understand that he "has" to review these big titles to attract viewership but from a games criticism perspective, it is completely pointless.
Like his complaint about Bayonetta 3 is basically that it's another Bayonetta game lol.
This is nothing new, and it didn't surprise me too much. It's why I take what he says with a grain of salt. Him flip flopping over Sonic is nothing new, and he's been a contrarian about it from the start. First, he said that only the 2D games were good and said that Color sucked. Only to defend Colors later and say Generations sucks. The same crap Anti-Sonic fans, "professional critics", and haters of any new Sonic game have been saying for the past two decades. Making him no different and just like everybody else that has a problem. Regardless, if he ever had a point or not about it. I'm not even going to bother with his Ragnarök review. I remember when last game came out, he in a few other usual suspects were dogging on the game unnecessarily. Yahtzee was actually the least worst with this, compared to the list I have. He claims to hate "dad games", despite him being a daddy now. Similar crap when he reviewed Evil Within 2.

I ignore all that crap and go to my own opinions and conclusions. Makes life easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm not even going to bother with his Ragnarok review.
Well that's a bit much, but obviously your choice what to watch. I mean, sure I'm calling out Yahtzee a bit as a fan. Primary ZP is a humor series using video games as content, more than a "review," which is why I like it. For Escapist at least, 3MR is the actual review series. So of course I'm gonna watch and enjoy every ZP video 'cause Yahtzee is hilarious.

But criticism in general is just more valuable and interesting from the perspective of an invested party. So like KC's review of fighting games and brawlers for example, I value highly because he loves that stuff and is good at it.
For something like Ragnarok, I was only interested in pure "quality"- does it work, does it look good, is it a respectable sequel to 2018. And this is where SkillUp shines, for example.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Oh I wanted to ask- how long do you think it's gonna take me to beat this game? Just planning around holidays/travel etc.

So I personally just don't care about the scores- I just wanna beat the game. I'll do side stuff as I come across them, of course, but I'm not gonna beat my head over challenges over and over again. I expect I will beat it and be done with it.
HowLongToBeat puts main story completion at 13 hours, which makes it longer than Bayo2 and maybe longer than Bayo1, is that accurate? It always takes me longer than that site says so, 20 hours for me, you think?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh I wanted to ask- how long do you think it's gonna take me to beat this game? Just planning around holidays/travel etc.

So I personally just don't care about the scores- I just wanna beat the game. I'll do side stuff as I come across them, of course, but I'm not gonna beat my head over challenges over and over again. I expect I will beat it and be done with it.
HowLongToBeat puts main story completion at 13 hours, which makes it longer than Bayo2 and maybe longer than Bayo1, is that accurate? It always takes me longer than that site says so, 20 hours for me, you think?
Well that's a bit much, but obviously your choice what to watch.
Not really. I never watched every single review of his for a good reason.

Primary ZP is a humor series using video games as content, more than a "review," which is why I like it. For Escapist at least, 3MR is the actual review series. So of course I'm gonna watch and enjoy every ZP video 'cause Yahtzee is hilarious.
Just because there is humor, doesn't mean he's immune to criticism. I know you are not implying that, but there had been many others you try to use that as a defense. There are times where the humor either didn't hit, or he clearly wasn't joking, or he was being too mean spirited and had a bug of his ass. His Mad World "review" (a 6 minute biatch fit about the Wii and it's motion controls) being the biggest example. Or the few times he kept attacking Star Wars fans when they never done much to him to begin with i.e, his Forced Unleashed review.

So like KC's review of fighting games and brawlers for example, I value highly because he loves that stuff and is good at it.
Good to know.

The completion time is pretty much accurate. I beat the game and about 12 hours and 5 minutes. I played it on normal mode. Do keep in mind though, I was trying to complete nearly every verse in most stages and doing half of the exploration for other secrets and stuff. I did play on normal. There are a lot of cutscenes too. You are definitely correct in saying that this is the longest game in the series.

Last edited: