'Be a man'!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
It all depends on the situation for me...if something didn't go your way or were rejected by a girl when you asked her out then there is no reason to be super sad just take it and move on.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Well, in some cases you do need to just man up. If you are responsible for other people or have a job that needs to be done, you need to get off your ass and man up. Because thats what "being a man" is. Its taking responsibility for yourself and those who depend on you. Being a man isn't being emotionless, its overcoming them and getting your responsibilities taken care of.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
Saying be a man to someone whos upset just makes them feel worse, it shows that you think their a wuss, which can have a variety of effects depending on how close you are to the person.

Or they could start to think everyone feels that way, that they have no right to be a man, no right to live, and commit suicide

...sorry I went a bit dark thar

But as a man suffering from possible bipolar, If I don't cry, I do ...other things 0_o

Apr 28, 2008
Its a bullshit answer.

People have problems, people get depressed. Some problems may in fact be little things someone's just getting worked up about. Other times its a serious issue and no amount of "being a man" will help. At all.

Saying "be a man" also opens up a whole can of worms that Labyrinth already explained.

If I see something sad in a book/movie/TV show/game, I'm probably going to cry. Toy Story 3 is the most recent to make me do so.

Being able to cry about doesn't make you a wimp, it makes you a person with feelings, emotions, problems, and depth. It means you have more to you then meets the eye.

Your a person, rather then an emotionless prick who holds everything inside then explodes in a usually violent way.
Granted thats just a generalization, this subject tends to get me riled up.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
It depends entirely on context.

Saying it to a person who's depressed is just spiteful and ignorant.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Irridium said:
Its a bullshit answer.

People have problems, people get depressed. Some problems may in fact be little things someone's just getting worked up about. Other times its a serious issue and no amount of "being a man" will help. At all.

Saying "be a man" also opens up a whole can of worms that Labyrinth already explained.

If I see something sad in a book/movie/TV show/game, I'm probably going to cry. Toy Story 3 is the most recent to make me do so.

Being able to cry about doesn't make you a wimp, it makes you a person with feelings, emotions, problems, and depth. It means you have more to you then meets the eye.

Your a person, rather then an emotionless prick who holds everything inside then explodes in a usually violent way.
Granted thats just a generalization, this subject tends to get me riled up.
It gets me riled up too, mainly becasue I went throught depression, so it gets me angry when people say that it's not 'manly'.

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
I'm all for the whole man the fuck up attitude - Most people I say it too are upset from usual day stuff like, getting dumped, being a sissy about asking someone out, kittens dying and so on...

I've suffered death, debt and betrayal in my life and could well have depression (I ain't seeing a quack until I need a sick note - ain't going into it either), but you just gotta power through shit!

At the end of the day mankind has gotten here - to this stage through suffering and ingenuity...Seeing people get upset about shit that at the end of the day that is pretty minuscule in the greater scheme of things is pretty tedious especially the ones who try suicide/shit like it.

Yes I can understand it all but the worlds still turning at the end of the day.

This is regardless of gender, you could have 6 dicks and 4 tits and it would still apply.

Probably not worded this well and made myself come out looking the worse of it but meh.

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Scarecrow 8 said:
Labyrinth said:
I don't agree with it first of all on feminist grounds. "Be a man" is one of the most sexist statements I hear in common use. Not only does it imply that being a non-man, ie. female, is something that makes one emotional and unstable, it also shoehorns all men everywhere into an emotional iron maiden. The idea that "a man" is stoic and relatively emotionless causes all kinds of untold damage due to repressed issues that need to be dealt with. Let me take rural Australia for example. There's been a drought here for the past decade or so. Out in rural areas that takes its toll. Men who ascribe to the Stoic and Manly ideal find it difficult to seek help for the problems, such as depression, that arise out of having a failing farm when it's been in the family for generations. Stereotype, but you get the idea. The suicide rate in those areas and in this situation shoots right up.

The other reason it irks me is because it demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding about mental illness. I differentiate here between medical depression and "I'm down, need someone to talk to." While the latter is valid as a request, the former runs far deeper. For someone with depression it is impossible to "be a man" and cheer up because of chemical imbalances and other physiological factors upon which no amount of stoicism can have an effect. Stephen Fry related an anecdote during an interview about a fellow bi-polar man in the depressive swing of his illness. This guy had walked in front of a truck and wound up spending six months having the bones in his legs re-broken and re-set repeatedly in an effort to enable him to walk again. The guy said that while yes, the pain of having his legs mended was truly terrible, "it was nothing compared to the pain that made me step onto the highway."

Manic depressives do have the manic part of that cycle to reassure them. It will get better for them because that's a part of their illness. People with depression don't, and it's not fair to burden them with masculinity crap atop everything else. It won't make them better, it could well make them worse. The most likely result is that they just stop talking about their troubles.
Thats what got me too make this thread. People were telling people who where depressed to 'be a man' and it really made me made. These people really had no understanding of depression and had no place telling these people what they should do.
Exactly.

As well put as Labyrinths post was, I'll just be far more blunt. If there's a thread about depression and you don't fall into one of these categories,

- You're a doctor
- You're suffering from depression
- You're living with/friends with/related to a depressed person
- You've suffered from depression

then it's probably best you just stay the fuck out of the discussion! Telling someone to 'man-up' or 'grow a pair' helps no-one. There is no manning up to be done, times have changed, dinosaurs be gone!

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDCRp5mrYE8

Only real men watch this video.

Hey, I cried at the end of Gran Torino. And if you didn't, Clint Eastwood will come to your house, put a Smith&Wesson .44 Magnum to your head and fuck your sister. Men are capable of feeling sadness, though I never have, but we are also capable of working through it and coming out stronger then ever before. We're like Sayians that way.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Private Custard said:
Scarecrow 8 said:
Labyrinth said:
I don't agree with it first of all on feminist grounds. "Be a man" is one of the most sexist statements I hear in common use. Not only does it imply that being a non-man, ie. female, is something that makes one emotional and unstable, it also shoehorns all men everywhere into an emotional iron maiden. The idea that "a man" is stoic and relatively emotionless causes all kinds of untold damage due to repressed issues that need to be dealt with. Let me take rural Australia for example. There's been a drought here for the past decade or so. Out in rural areas that takes its toll. Men who ascribe to the Stoic and Manly ideal find it difficult to seek help for the problems, such as depression, that arise out of having a failing farm when it's been in the family for generations. Stereotype, but you get the idea. The suicide rate in those areas and in this situation shoots right up.

The other reason it irks me is because it demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding about mental illness. I differentiate here between medical depression and "I'm down, need someone to talk to." While the latter is valid as a request, the former runs far deeper. For someone with depression it is impossible to "be a man" and cheer up because of chemical imbalances and other physiological factors upon which no amount of stoicism can have an effect. Stephen Fry related an anecdote during an interview about a fellow bi-polar man in the depressive swing of his illness. This guy had walked in front of a truck and wound up spending six months having the bones in his legs re-broken and re-set repeatedly in an effort to enable him to walk again. The guy said that while yes, the pain of having his legs mended was truly terrible, "it was nothing compared to the pain that made me step onto the highway."

Manic depressives do have the manic part of that cycle to reassure them. It will get better for them because that's a part of their illness. People with depression don't, and it's not fair to burden them with masculinity crap atop everything else. It won't make them better, it could well make them worse. The most likely result is that they just stop talking about their troubles.
Thats what got me too make this thread. People were telling people who where depressed to 'be a man' and it really made me made. These people really had no understanding of depression and had no place telling these people what they should do.
Exactly.

As well put as Labyrinths post was, I'll just be far more blunt. If there's a thread about depression and you don't fall into one of these categories,

- You're a doctor
- You're suffering from depression
- You're living with/friends with/related to a depressed person
- You've suffered from depression

then it's probably best you just stay the fuck out of the discussion! Telling someone to 'man-up' or 'grow a pair' helps no-one. There is no manning up to be done, times have changed, dinosaurs be gone!
You have put it far better then I could have. All those dickheads on the forums where telling these poor people to man, without having any idea what it's like. Having gone through depression myself, it really pissed my off.

PhiMuLady

Aug 27, 2009
I agree with it. I am a woman that rarely cries myself, only when hurt (physically) or someone I love is hurt/hurting. I do get sad, but I have learned that crying does nothing to fix anything. Also I REALY hate being pitied, that is a great motivator for not being a weepy female.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Ah, the gold old masculinity argument.

"Be a man, repress those emotions!"

Most of our ancestry faced much harder conditions than we do today. War, famine, disasters. Man was silent about his emotions not because he wanted to, but because he needed to. If you weren't violent or alert enough back in the middle ages, your body would be left in the gutter with all valuables taken by thieves.

So this ideal of a hard, cold and tough man has survived throughout generations. Now, in a time where most barbaric violence has been eliminated, we are challenging this old ideal.

So we're clashing with those who have embraced the old way of thinking and those who are willing to move past "being a man". I don't think it will ever disappear completely, after all "being a man" allowed marines to take Iwo Jima and let outnumbered paratroopers hold Bastonge. Without this attitude many things wouldn't have happened. As long as there is war or hardships facing humanity that require us to be manly, I think this mindset will remain.

Education is key in this issue methinks. The response "Be a man!" or "Grow a pair!" is basically either a defensive behavioral mechanism or intentional trolling. Perhaps both.

In anycase, I think this attitude is dying out a bit but still strong.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Its right.

Stop crying and man up, god damn it.
I can't believe how dangerously old fashioned your thinking is.
I guess it's your opinion, but by my personal experience, by telling someone that, I just feel like I try and wash my hands of helping them, and that just sounds weak to me. I'd rather stand and take people's pain away than let them handle it themselves and hurt themselves.