'Be a man'!

Comrade Mateo

Inventor of the POWER STANCE
May 1, 2009
Comrade Mateo said:
RadioActiveChimp said:
Watch Gurren Lagann and you'll learn what manly is.

Pshaw, he isn't manly. Just look at him! Those glasses are totally pink! I could easil-[neck snapped]
OT: I find the whole 'be a man' thing more of a running joke than anything.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's an expression.

Suitable:
Crying when watching a sad movie.

Unsuitable:
Crying because your friend beat you for a job.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
As someone currently suffering from depression, I have four words to say to those holier than thou:

Shut. The fuck. Up.

It's really none of your fucking business what I sob over, so get the fuck over yourselves.

I'm willing to bet that I'm older than half of these freaks who think some things can just be snapped out of.

enriel

Oct 20, 2009
esin said:
What is a man?
A MAN is someone (generally male) who partakes in an activity that is MANLY.
MANLY activities are things that are generally high in both STUPID and AWESOME.

Example: WRESTLING A BEAR. YYYEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

esin

Feb 17, 2010
enriel said:
esin said:
What is a man?

[http://media.photobucket.com/image/dracula castlevania/Reddeath444/castlevania-dracula.jpg?o=5]
Foolish mortal.

digipinky75910

Aug 25, 2009
Country
us
esin said:
What is a man?
Thanks, I couldn't have asked for a better introduction-

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world, the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Shakespeare covered the very question here, imo, best in "The Scottish Play" - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacBeth

When the main character is told all he has to do is murder the king to become king himself, and then starts having second thoughts about it, his wife goes into this lengthy tirade about if he doesn't go through with it he cannot call himself a man.

Later, by contrast, along the way Macbeth has murdered a man named Macduff's entire family because it was prophecized he would be a threat to him. Macduff's friends break the bad news to him and try to cheer him up:

MALCOLM: Dispute it like a man. (Man up. Go kill the man who murdered your family.)

MACDUFF: I shall do so;
But I must also feel it as a man.

enriel

Oct 20, 2009
esin said:
enriel said:
esin said:
What is a man?

[http://media.photobucket.com/image/dracula castlevania/Reddeath444/castlevania-dracula.jpg?o=5]
Foolish mortal.
Disapprove.

esin

Feb 17, 2010
pinky75910 said:
esin said:
What is a man?
Shakespeare covered the very question here, imo, best in "The Scottish Play" - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacBeth

When the main character is told all he has to do is murder the king to become king himself, and then starts having second thoughts about it, his wife goes into this length tirade about if he doesn't go through with it he cannot call himself a man.

Later, by contrast, along the way Macbeth has murdered a man named Macduff's entire family because it was prophecized he would be a threat to him. Macduff's friends break the bad news to him and try to cheer him up:

MALCOLM: Dispute it like a man. (Man up. Go kill the man who murdered your family.)

MACDUFF: I shall do so;
But I must also feel it as a man.
Damn!, never crossed my mind how apropos Macbeth would be for this. And God was the Lady far, far more terrifying than any man in that play.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
People who are clinically diagnosed with depression should not be told to "man up". In quite a few cases, a chemical imbalance (Yes Tom cruise, they are real) can cause depression and there is literally nothing the sufferer can do about it. They can fake being happy, they can hide their depression, but they can't stop feeling depressed. Telling these people to "man up" is wrong, because apart from medication, there is nothing they can do. I know a guy (won't say what his name is obviously), who has no real problems with his life. He is moderately wealthy, his career is solid, he has a loving family - and yet, he has a serious case of depression. He can't explain it, no one can - until he went to a doctor and got diagnosed. He started taking supplementary serotonin, and now he's fine. He doesn't take much, but he's back to normal.

But not all cases of depression are medical in nature. Some are, but some aren't. Some people DO need to be more mature, or need to change their life circumstances.

Depression as a MEDICAL condition doesn't have a lifestyle cause. If you feel depressed because you lost your job, or your wife/husband left you, or you're financially stressed, or because someone died, that's not "medical" depression, but merely sadness, which can be cured by either getting over the issue, or by changing your life.

But for those who are actually suffering from depression from a MEDICAL standpoint, all you can do is direct them to a doctor. Not a psychiatrist, psychiatrists are charlatans and are generally full of psycho-babble nonsense (generally that is - there are a few good psychiatrists out there, but they're rare). Direct them to a DOCTOR.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
What does it mean to "be a man"? What does it mean to not "be a man"? What does it mean to be a woman, for that matter? Has common society skewed everyone's viewpoints so dramatically that it's paramount that a person should act a certain way, believe a certain, have a certain mindset?

So my answer would be... at this point in my life, I don't even know what the hell the question means.

Winfrid

Oct 21, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Lots of language, if you dont like it, theme of video applies

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
SageRuffin said:
What does it mean to "be a man"? What does it mean to not "be a man"? What does it mean to be a woman, for that matter? Has common society skewed everyone's viewpoints so dramatically that it's paramount that a person should act a certain way, believe a certain, have a certain mindset?

So my answer would be... at this point in my life, I don't even know what the hell the question means.
Um, what he said.
I can't tell half the time if people are joking or being serious, which kinda scares me.
All I know, is that when someone says that line, all I can think of is this:

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Stuntkid said:
jamesworkshop said:
Gralian said:
Ah, gender roles and equality, where double standard is the king with budding compatriots social compliance and confirmation bias.

I've seen and heard a lot of people say fight for a women's rights and show she's not just a subservient housewife, and yet never once have i heard anyone fight for male rights. That we're not all MANLY MASCULINE MEN WHO DO MAN STUFF. You know, not the kind of guy who's automatically good at DIY, doesn't enjoy sport, and yes - is the emotional, sensitive type. You know what's even more bigoted than this? The supposed belief that anyone fitting this description is also a homosexual. I don't know if that's just exclusive to where i was brought up, but that's the assumption - if you don't do MANLY MAN things, you're too soft, too girly and probably gay because you're not enough of a MANLY MAN. How nice.

I really hate the term "be a man", even if it is just a 'figure of speech', because i can tell you now whether it's meant to be taken as a literal term or not it's just as damning as saying 'you're too girly / sensitive / some other variant'. It implies that there's still a gender divide because hey, MANLY MEN control the world right? And that women are somehow lesser because - oh look, they can't "be a man". Even if, again, they could "metaphorically" it's still pretty damn offensive. It'd be better if people said "toughen up" or something similar. Aside from that, it's complete blatant ignorance of the other party's feelings and neglects the fact that, actually, maybe there is something wrong that can't be overcome just by pounding one's chest like a fucking ape.

The fact "be a man" is still such a prevalent phrase in today's society shows gender equality still has a loooong way to go. For both genders. And let's not even talk about the rampant xenophobia and other equality issues That's another topic for another time.
would it help if man was from the latin word manus meaning hand which is being used poetically to repressent having control, the word manufacture does not mean a bloke made it means it was created by humans the man in mankind for instance is also the signifyer of hu"man"ity as something which has a hand.

same with all the other words like handyman a person skilled with hands on work or manpower as in having all hands on deck.

It has zero to do with gender

beside toughen up isn't advice its please shut up about your problems because I don't want to hear them is the actually meaning of those phrases.

Not showing emotions is public is not reguarded as weakness but as social politness to not burden other by bringing down the general atmosphere, offloading your problems onto other that have no wish to be shared with is impolite and selfish
I don't completely agree with that. My fucked up way of thinking derived from the constant physical and verbal abuse of those who think the gender role of a man is one who is hardened inside and out. It's retarded, it's wrong, and it should be exterminated. Though I pretty much think you're right, there are still people who think of it as a gender-role term and use it as such.

Women are naturally more emotional than men so people think of toughened as a trait of the male gender. I've seen countless accounts of women using physical and verbal attack as a way to "shapen up" men or "put them in their place"(just like men do, sometimes) but if you're a man you can't do it to them, and they know this and abuse this athoratative immunity. That also goes with the gender role of women being more fragile physically and emotionally (which obviously isn't true. Iv'e seen alot of hard women.) And at the same time, these same women are active in women's rights and equality. This baffles me.

Is the title like an assessory to flaunt around? I know it's not just women, it's universal; but GODDAMN, get off my porch you fuckin girl scouts; I dont want your damn cookies. Just like everything else, if a certain thing recieves a mass change you can't go back to the way things were. Basically what I'm saying is YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. You can't eat both Rock Pops and Diet Coke or else you'll explode, and it'll get everywhere, and someone else would clean it up, and it would smell up the joint.

Most of this gender-role shit comes from the media. This is one of the reason why I don't watch TV anymore. These jack-offs from the ironically named "reality TV" giving us common morons an idea how to act like (even though these jack-offs mostly are us common morons.)Now get me my medicated sandwich.

Sorry, I was trying to find my marbles. But anyway, it's not just reality tv, or tv in general. What's dipicted as "right" is whatever the writer thinks is right. How can you trust them? When you read something you should have a mind of your own and access and juxtapose their information with yours. Or better yet, kill them all; your girlfriend would never know what hit them.

I'm falling off the topic here, let me climb back on. It should not be a gender thing, but it is anyway and there's no way any of us can change it. Unless everyone decides to do it at once which is impossible; seriously, why would you think that? It's stupid. Don't ever think that again. Of a matter of fact Im angry now that you thought of that I'm ending this right now! Pch! Everyone changing at once, that's stupid.

Oh, and mass murder is stupid too. You have a twisted sense of humor, you. I have my eyes on you. I'm not saying where I'm watching you, but I am. And Im not in your closet.
My humor is twisted but personally I never been one for the whole sociology angle of contructed abstract gender roles, too many cultures too many individual variences.
People do what they want when they want and genrally don't care for those in the way.

As for toughness thats really an emotion all to itself fear for instance is what should stop you from falling off the mountain not whats causing you to drag your feet at the base.

Or better yet, kill them all; your girlfriend would never know what hit them
Oh, and mass murder is stupid too. You have a twisted sense of humor, you. I have my eyes on you. I'm not saying where I'm watching you, but I am. And Im not in your closet.

Might wanna keep those crazy eyes focused in a mirror

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
A lesson in how to "Man up"

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

There you go. Thank you Mr Kipling.

[small]Do you like Kipling?
I don't know, Ive never Kipled.[/small]

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
I haven't read any comments, but I'll say this:

Making yourself be the victim (of life, of society, of God's infernal rage, of that one douchebag in fourth grade) makes you the victim.

It's great to play the victim, because it easily extracts sympathy from others. And, of course, we all need sympathy every once in a while. But when it's all you ever do, when it's the only emotional response you try to get from others to fuel your own meagre self-worth; you're a leech.

So yes, it is better to 'man up' and 'grow a pair'. Doesn't mean you have to subscribe to any stereotypical qualities you subscribe to 'those assholes'. Being a man doesn't mean subscribing to some sort of body cult a lá those douchebags from the Jersey Shore. It's not by definition anti-intellectual or misogynist. 'Being a man' is a mindset.

A much happier mindset than the (butt)hurt, "romantic" soul.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
I don't cry over anything.
Except the fact that the woman I loved was cheating on me and with my best friend.
The thing is that you have to be quite arrogant to say that men don't have feelings or a lesser version of them.
Now I'm not saying that you should be a whimp and having feelings and being a whimp are two completely different things.

For instance a whimp is a person who surrenders to anything right away or victimises one self.
But a person with feelings has capacity for empathy,grief and happiness.
The thing is that the old "man" image is dying and you guys just have to face it, because we're all human beigns and we're freaking social creatures.

But what I call a man is a person who can stand up for what he believes in and can defend the people he/she loves.