"... Because, its faster than Walking!"

Klaflefalumpf

Oct 3, 2010
Well dodge/roll are pretty common, no idea if they let you move any faster though. The exception being if you're sneaking at the time, Kingdoms of Amalur and Skyrim both have this.

Prototype had the air-dash, you also have the 'everyone knows you run faster with a knife' games that come to mind.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
In Ni No Kuni, you can unlock jump boots, which allow you to skip everywhere.
Virtually useless, but it does make you go faster than just walking.
Also, I will always the dragon to travel on the world map, even if it's five feet up a hill, because it comes with this bit of music:

The game has its fair share of flaws, but I rate the soundtrack as one of the best, Joe Hisaishi at his finest.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
LoganN64 said:
ok so, as you may know i play videogames, i have for some time now. one thing that i have come across is some games allow you to travel faster by unconventional means
this fucking thing

the cheat for which was "betterthanwalking"
Who needs a golf cart when you have this:

If I remember correctly, in one of the GTAs (Vice City if I remember right) you could activate two cheats that made the game instantly 1000x more fun. 1. tank: Can't have fun without a tank and 2. low gravity: not only is it fun to watch cars wreck themselves but also to watch police chase you.

Now that you have those two activated, get in the tank and rotate the turret behind you. Go to an area that is a straight shot and begin firing. Now, you have a flying tank. It was kind of amazing the first time I found out about it.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Backstep hopping in EVE of EXTINCTION.

Man those were fun times just hopping back and forth between areas.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Baldurs Gate DA had the Bull Rush attack that you could spam on the dwarf to go faster... downside that it drained mana...
Baldurs Gate DA2 rectified this by giving the ability to all the characters, calling it sprint, and taking away it's attack function!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The various Dash abilities in Torchlight 2.
Then again there was very little backtracking in the game due to your pet's ability to buy and sell items by sending it to town.

Ohh! Force Speed (at least thats what I called it) from KOTOR.

Doing Flash impressions across the Tatooine desert in Sandpeople clothing. Fun times.

Captcha: she's a witch, (whooo Python!)

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Can't think of any other than the ones mentioned, but that slide in Bulletstrom is ridiculous. You can slide around corners and do circles, not to mention you can slide forever down a hill.

Ridiculously awesome.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Guild Wars 2 - dodge rolling. Also, quite a few Charge skills can be fired off blindly to facilitate movement. My elementalist will regularly transform into a ball of lightning just to get from point A to point B faster...

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
The Jetpack in Dark Void.
Who would want to walk anywhere, even indoors, when you have the possibility to just rocket-propel yourself towards whatever your destination is?
And of course the completely over-the-top gliding in Prototype.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
The two that jump into my mind are...

Symphony of the Night, for either character they have faster methods of getting around, Richter has the slide and Alucard has the dodge you use backward.

Half Life 2, sprint + Bunny Hop constantly, I would never not be doing it. I believe I used to also strafe up ladders because that was faster. There also used to be some weird physics things you could do with some objects that would propel you forward or upwards.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
MajorTomServo said:
Anyone who's ever played a 3D Zelda has

HUT HYAT HUT HYAH HUT HUT HYAH HUT HYAH

burned into their brains forever.

Though I don't think rolling is actually faster. It speeds you up mid-roll, but slows you down at the beginning...
I use z-target side-jumping. Faster than rolling or running. Also no HYAT HUT just low-key hups.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
the electric glide in Infamous 1 & 2 on the power lines, combine that with the static hover and you were set for anything and the ice launch in 2, i ice launched everywhere, need to get up a building? ice launch to the rescuuuuue!!. Another one is the teleport in Diablo 2, with enough mana you can cover seious ground with little effort and penalty

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Good old fashioned games and their bunny hopping. Due to some loophole in the physics engine, it is possible to reach ridiculous speeds by repeatedly jumping in Thief, to the point where you can actually kill yourself by hitting a wall at terminal velocity, horizontally.

The 7-Guy

Jan 30, 2013
In the new Tomb raider you can do a quick crawl-thing and then right after a quick dogderoll. I think it´s faster than walking/light jogging, not 100% sure though.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
MajorTomServo said:
Anyone who's ever played a 3D Zelda has

HUT HYAT HUT HYAH HUT HUT HYAH HUT HYAH

burned into their brains forever.

Though I don't think rolling is actually faster. It speeds you up mid-roll, but slows you down at the beginning...
No, it's quicker. I've actually done a number of tests to prove it (at least in OoT and MM). For example, if you don't role, you can't make it from the entrance of the Kokiri Forest to Hyrule Castle Town before night, but if you do, you can. This has been tested several (hundred) times. Walking backward is also faster (in the original release of OoT. The faster backwards walk was removed in the remake).

Anyway, in NieR, the fastest way to move is to use the Spear Dash, then dodge roll out of the animation at the end, and then use the Spear Dash again at the end of the Roll animation. Repeat ad naseum.

Professor Idle

Aug 21, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Morrowind. Get your acrobatics up and motherfucking jump to the next city.
Oh my god I forgot about that. Motherfucking chosen one hippin and hoppin to where he needs to be!

I used to take it a step further and craft a spell that increases your jumping by 100%, but only for a second so it's still magic efficient. Then have a slowfall spell that lasts for 0.5 seconds and lightly smack into the ground. Always made an entrance.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
dodge roll tends to be the classic one in action adventures. To the point when some make you stop moving after rolling for a bit.

Bastion actually embraces this movement method, to the point when some of the weapon challenges (I'm thinking machete) are impossible without it. Also the movement in most Zelda games is slow to the point of annoyance, rolling speeds things up a bit, not much but at times it comes across as necessity.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Ocarina of Time, Z targeting and walking backwards is the fastest travel.
Rolling is faster in confined short areas where you don't have time to accelerate and need to turn.

I don't know if it counts but in Windwaker you can store movement and use it to super swim. You still drown if you do it wrong and I don't know exactly how to do it (Just watched Cosmo speed runs), but it is a neat repeatable movement gaining ability that allows you to swim between islands in a fraction of the time it takes the boat.

Jumping and Sliding in Mario 64. There is far to many momentum tricks in that game.

Warframe you do have sprint and stamina that run out but sliding from a sprint is faster at first then degenerates but doesn't cost stamina. You can jump flip out of slide and then restart a new slide that increases your speed above that of sprinting significantly and base stamina regen is more than the cost of the maneuver. So Infinite Slide/Frontflip/Slide combo for the win.

In TERA the mounts don't slow you at all when casting them, they just instantly boost your speed. The Lancer has a cooldown that charges forward increasing movespeed more than a mount so I Lance Charge>Mount>Dismount>Lance Charge>Repeat.

Paper Mario you can jump to cancel the last bit of the spin animation and it speeds you up.