"... Because, its faster than Walking!"

futil3

Sep 12, 2010
In Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64 you were way faster strafing than walking straight.

In Perfect Dark your velocity would be added to some projectiles (rockets and grenades), so when strafe-running and firing a rocket it would be almost impossible to dodge. Much funnier though, was strafe-running backwards and firing the rocket. It would fly so slow you could walk past it. :)

Mario 64 had crouch-jumping ("super long jump").

In Soldat the basic jump-running was crucial, and always combined with strategic use of munition for propulsion. Shotgun-jumping, minigun-surfing, nade jumping. All of the things. :)

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
The 7-Guy said:
In the new Tomb raider you can do a quick crawl-thing and then right after a quick dogderoll. I think it´s faster than walking/light jogging, not 100% sure though.
Jumping everywhere is faster than walking or rolling, too.

AndrewF022 said:
Symphony of the Night, for either character they have faster methods of getting around, Richter has the slide and Alucard has the dodge you use backward.
Don't forget to cancel the tail end of the backdash animation by shielding:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL6Qm80DZBA[/youtube]

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
futil3 said:
Mario 64 had crouch-jumping ("super long jump").
Oh gosh that brings back memories, spent that entire game hearing "Wa-hoo!" over and over, because who walks places when you can fling yourself around the castle/level and do it in half the time!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Skyrim:

Sword in hand do a powerful attack + the shout that 'blinks' you forward.

Great for moving faster while over encumbered.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
LoganN64 said:
-Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects - Characters Wink and Paragon can both use teleportation as a dodge.
Someone besides me remembers this game? Mind=blown

On topic, elder scrolls morrowind had some cleaver means of traveling. Spells could increase your speed and make you fly fast and you could teleport to temples or your own personal marker. And there's always the Scrolls of Icarian Flight to make your jump skill high enough to launch you into the skybox... for 5 seconds. Then you hit the ground and die unless you use another one or land in water. You could jump across the whole map with that

Sep 9, 2007
BlackFlyme said:
The Eupho Guy said:
That or use a scroll of Icarian Flight and jump between Vivec and Ald'ruhn.
Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the landing!
Which is why I enchanted his hat with a slowfall spell. For everything else, there is a 1 point of levitation for one second spell (which I call my Emergency Brake).

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
In Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, I'd look at the ground when I sprinted for long stretches, I swear it increases FPS due to reduced drawn polygons and sped up the player run speed. I'm probably just being an idiot, but it did seem faster.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Since so many people have already mentioned Zelda:

<youtube=ItOPzuIRLVI&start=62&end=72>

Am also guilty of Wuld-NAh-Kest my way through the fields of Skyrim.

Also, this thing:
Ed130 said:
Ohh! Force Speed (at least thats what I called it) from KOTOR.

Doing Flash impressions across the Tatooine desert in Sandpeople clothing. Fun times.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
The new Tomb Raider if you hit the dodge button Laura would do a kind of ducking leap thing which helped move faster whenever I got bored, it did make the fighting really funny for enemies to try and hit someone that must have looked like she had lost control of her back muscles.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The jet pack in Cave Story.
You could also use a maxed out machine gun firing down to fly, making all platforming trivial.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
bit off topic but in every single game ever made (more or less) jumping while in water is faster.
this topic also raises the question. is walking speed too slow in most games?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Hafnium said:
In Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer you sometimes have to carry an object (we call it delivering pizza) to a location, and at a reduced movement speed at that. There are some unconventionel methods of improving that speed. Moving backwards goes faster and the Krogan race (big Lizard-man) can move faster by continously headbutting the air (it might be his other melee-move, the massive backhand-strike, not sure). There's also a trick to moving really fast with the pizza, I think you keep dropping and picking it up quickly while moving.
The Asari dodge can be used as well. Unlike the others it drops it after you move.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
In Skyrim, I found out that your walk speed changes when you have your bow drawn. It's slower than your usual walk speed, much slower than sprinting or rolling... but it isn't affected by your weight burden. So if you need to walk a short distance while encumbered, draw your bow to go ever so slightly faster.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Valkrex said:
Bunny-hopping in Painkiller. You can move INSANELY fast with that.
This.
Although it's satisfying as hell, to run this way with painkiller in hand into a bunch of enemies, turning them to bloody ribbons in seconds.

Also,
using dodge in Kingdoms of Amalur, especially that blink you could do later down the magic line.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Jumping is actually slightly faster than running in Morrowind, and it raises your acrobatics skill. I was a compulsive bunny hopper in that game. I swear, I was airborne more often than not. As a result, this compulsion was also present in Oblivion. And Skyrim. And Fallout 3. And NV. I can't help it!

I must hop.

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
Rolling in Zelda for one, as well as in the Jak and Daxter games. Though it got tricky in the second one, those Krimzon Guards have such hair trigger tempers. =I

But I'm surprised that charging in Spyro hasn't been mentioned. Holy cow, I barely walk at all in that game. Charge everywhere, you'll move so much faster. Helps that the charge has no 'physics' to it so you stop as you let go of the square button so charging off ledges is much less of an issue than one would think.

Also from the same developer: Ratchet and Clank, rocket leap. Everywhere. It's faster and you have more control than using the charge boots, which have a very high chance of running you right off a ledge.

Edit: And oh yeah: Spindash/Lakilester, Baby Yoshi, and Carrie, in Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario respectively. =B

Also in Pokemon when they get introduced: Running shoes. Was so glad when they gave the option to just turn them on so you run automatically.