Become an Extreme Sergeant to the Max in Duty Calls

Apr 28, 2008
AnythingOutstanding said:
Irridium said:
chemicalreaper said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Is this what they spent their time on instead of a PC demo?
I was thinking a similar thing: that's great that their developers spent their time making Duty Calls, but they could have spent that time polishing up the real game, y'know, the one that's actually going to be reviewed and sold?
I'm with you guys.

I mean yeah, the parody game is hilarious and sums up pretty much every military shooter out now, but I would have taken a PC demo over this.
Enjoy the entertainment presented to you and quit your bitching.

Jeez.
I did enjoy it. And now that the novelty has passed, I'm left wondering what could have been.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Irridium said:
Irridium said:
chemicalreaper said:
Rusty Bucket said:
I was thinking a similar thing: that's great that their developers spent their time making Duty Calls, but they could have spent that time polishing up the real game, y'know, the one that's actually going to be reviewed and sold?
I'm with you guys.

I mean yeah, the parody game is hilarious and sums up pretty much every military shooter out now, but I would have taken a PC demo over this.
Enjoy the entertainment presented to you and quit your bitching.

Jeez.
I did enjoy it. And now that the novelty has passed, I'm left wondering what could have been.
How long do you think this took to make?

Its a 5 minute game...

The world is a better place with it than without it.

Apr 28, 2008
Amphoteric said:

Its a 5 minute game...

A game like this? Probably a month. At the very least.

Here's something to note, the game has been done for months. They would only make such a thing if they had the time to do it.
Fair enough, that is indeed possible. That being said, I would have much rather had them work on putting out a demo for the PC.

Dec 14, 2009
Too bad Bulletstorm is boring too. At least it doesn't take itself too seriously, but from what I got from the demo, the whole game is gonna be

1: Use gravity whip thing and/or destructive scenary.
2: Shoot/kick into terrain
3: ????
4: Profit Gimmick wears off quickly

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
chemicalreaper said:
Rusty Bucket said:
They were obviously making this before hand as a means of advertisement.

And really, just look at the footage of Duty Calls, I doubt they spent too much of their attention to it :p

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Irridium said:
Amphoteric said:

Its a 5 minute game...

A game like this? Probably a month. At the very least.

Here's something to note, the game has been done for months. They would only make such a thing if they had the time to do it.
Fair enough, that is indeed possible. That being said, I would have much rather had them work on putting out a demo for the PC.
They were trying to be original. I'm sure they are very sorry.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
-Drifter- said:
I saw a video of this earlier today, but I didn't know it was an actual game. Downloading it now.

Bulletstorm, though... As nice as it is to see a shooter break off from the brown, "realistic" military theme, Bulletstorm just doesn't seem very good, and virtually every aspect of it seems geared towards the douchebag demographic.

I agree with this.

Seems like they just want to palette swap, throw in some humor and a few little features and treat it like a revolutionary title.

That little game was hilarious though.

Apr 28, 2008
Amphoteric said:
They were trying to be original. I'm sure they are very sorry.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they tried something different. I would have just preferred a PC demo of some sort.

These days putting out a demo on all 3 platforms(360, PS3, PC) would be breaking the mold.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I'm confused. Why was there no spoiler tags? The last 4 Call of Duty games was just spoiled for me.

On a serious note though: I'm sad to find that this really is a perfect distillation of the CoD series post CoD4.

I still don't give a rats ass about this game Epic is publishing due to CliffyB being a huge idiot and a lack of a demo. And CliffyBs response to a reasonable objection. Dude Huge really is a jerk. Who makes bad games as well. I should know. I've played them.

GreyKnight3445

Nov 2, 2010
-Seraph- said:
I could not stop laughing while playing it, it's by far one of the best piss take marketing jabs I've ever come across. Loved how every time you shot your jun you'd hear "boring" accompanying the bullet sound lol.

Can't wait for this game, big stupid and silly is how I like my shooters.
dude play Bulletstorm with Black Betty on repeat, it goes perfectly with the game

Apr 28, 2008
dathwampeer said:
I highly doubt it. It looks like they just tweeked existing models for the characters and the environment is probably just an accumulation of random stock assets and textures. With the voice acting and game mechanics. I say this probably took a team of about 4 people about 2 weeks. At most.

It's one of the best ad's I've ever seen. And probably took little more effort than these.

The ad campaigns, viral or commercial are big things now. Spending a bit of time on them is a good idea.
You'd be surprised at how much work goes into even the smallest of games.

And I'd much rather have demo's be the big thing, followed by ad campaigns. Since then I'd be able to try the game for myself rather then rely on ad campaigns telling me stuff.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
"Sergeant of the Master Sergeants Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants to the Max" should be a forum rank.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That's what i think about HEAVILY POPULAR FPS GAMES:

it's the equivalent of jarheads, but for players. I think that says it all.

Apr 28, 2008
dathwampeer said:
I'm on a games design course. I know how much work goes into them. I also know when the dev's have cut corners.

Most of the assets and characters in this look like they're strait out of a stock folder with a few texture tweeks here n there. And they probably just used the mechanics from another game. (after getting permission of course.

A demo doesn't take much work. Depending on how it's made, doing a multiplayer beta is just using one map with maybe a few custom classes. A snippet of story, you just copy that section of the game and don't include what happens after. The ad campaign is what sells a game and what needs attention after a game is practically complete.
Alright, fair enough I guess. I still don't like ad-campaigns that much though. Since they rarely show me what the game actually plays like. And previews don't do much for me either. I would just much prefer a demo with games.

And the way you put it, putting the demo the 360/PS3 has on the PC is pretty much inexcusable(or any game that doesn't have a demo is inexcusable). But I suppose thats a discussion for another time.