Behold the Appropriately Angry Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Box Art

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
I tell you what makes me cry, or at least grimace;

Using the term Chainsaw Sword when their actual name is CHAINSWORD. It even rolls off the tongue!
To be fair, he admits he doesn't know 40k at all.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone else think we really should have been able to play as a Death Spectre or Black Templar instead of an Ultrasmurf?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Swedmarine said:
Iwata said:
Darth IB said:
I am so excited for this game I could explode.

Also, is that a tyranid I spot by the ultra marine's hand?
Well spotted, I totally missed it. So does that mean we're having Orcs, Chaos and Tyranids as the antagonists?

On that note, my Imperial Guard will be facing the greenskins tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Sorry to rain your parades, but I think what you're looking at is the face of a bloodletter, unless your seeing something I'm not. Placing the bloodletter like that would be sneaky enough for the NPCs to still be able to go "Oh mah god! Those are chaos!! Run fer your livez!" while still teasing the audience.

And may the Emperor protect your Guards.
Indeed it is a BloodLetter. I totally missed its horn. Funny the difference a bony protuberance makes. :p

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Loop Stricken said:

Using the term Chainsaw Sword when their actual name is CHAINSWORD. It even rolls off the tongue!
not to mention sounds bad ass, like Railgun, its just one of those weapons that's got a name that tells you, you want one, and you want LOTS of targets to play with

buts as for the cover art, i have to agree, the simplicity is a thing of beauty

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
JemothSkarii said:
Looks amazing, coupled with the gameplay, I shall be getting this...
...although less Ultrasmurf would be nice, and I wouldn't mind a game playing as an Archon or a Farseer
Just be glad Relic departed from the Blood Ravens.

OT: I want a poster of that box art.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Awesome box art there. I'm definitely picking this game up when it comes out. I'm glad Relic's developing the game, since they've proven from the Dawn of War series that they understand and respect the Warhammer 40k universe.

As for the player character being an Ultramarine, I don't mind. This game is probably going to introduce lots of people to Warhammer 40k, so you might as well have a "generic" chapter to introduce them to the concept of Space Marines.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Agayek said:
Loop Stricken said:

To be fair, he admits he doesn't know 40k at all.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone else think we really should have been able to play as a Death Spectre or Black Templar instead of an Ultrasmurf?
I think just about anything else would be better, except Space Furries.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
That box are doesn't really do it for me.

Seriously, by the way that space marine is jumping, makes it look like he's auditioning for Glee. And the white background doesn't suit the "grim darkness of the far-future".

Otherwise fine. Wonder what the game will be like?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
True. They'll never let me play what I really want to, unfortunately, so I'll just have to accept the blandest chapter in the Imperium.

I want to play as a Luna Wolf during the Great Crusade/Heresy, but GW hates me too much to let that happen.

cokeordie

May 20, 2009
Thyunda said:
It's not so bad - except I never really thought the Space Marines were good guys. They were over-religious zealots, and their answer to an uncivilised planet was to burn everything on it.
The Orks were at least honest about being murderous all the time.
The entire point of Warhammer 40k is that there are no good guys.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
Thyunda said:
It's not so bad - except I never really thought the Space Marines were good guys. They were over-religious zealots, and their answer to an uncivilised planet was to burn everything on it.
The Orks were at least honest about being murderous all the time.
There are many different kinds of Space Marines. The Ultramarines fostered a democratic empire that stretched over entire galaxies. The Salamanders follow the Promethean Code, which is based on the ancient traditions of their homeworld. This code includes protecting civilians at all costs, and valuing their life above their own. The Salamanders spend most of their time protecting and helping the people of their homeworld, when they aren't fighting.
And they really aren't religious, the way that other people in their universe are. Most of them DO NOT believe that the Emperor is a god, unlike the Imperium. They kind of make their own "cults", which are basically just warrior traditions.

Agayek said:
I want to play as a Luna Wolf during the Great Crusade/Heresy, but GW hates me too much to let that happen.
Just play it using Apocalypse rules. If you've read the Heresy books, you can see that the scope of those battles is way beyond the scope of 40K. It's not even 40K, it's 30K. They'd almost need to make an entirely new game for that.

But I am eagerly anticipating spilling some greenskin blood. Oh you don't know how bad.....

edit: Technically, if a Space Marine chapter came across an uncivilised planet (that wasn't tainted by the warp), they would most likely use it to recruit their neophytes. Now, that would most likely involved setting themselves up to be revered as gods, with a tradition of manhood that fits into their recruitment trials, but still.....

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Agayek said:
vxicepickxv said:
True. They'll never let me play what I really want to, unfortunately, so I'll just have to accept the blandest chapter in the Imperium.

I'm working on a pre-heresy version of the Emperor's Children.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Look, I love me some Ultramarines... Marneus Calgar and Cato Sicarius will fuck you all up...

But at least we dont have to play as freaking Blood Angles or Dark Angles, or no made up chapter from DoW... Im looking at you Blood Ravens.

I would actually love to see a pre-heresy game, I wanna fight some Megarachnid and use some Pre-Heresy Death Guard.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Bloody Ultrasmurfs, Dark Angels or Black Templars or GTFO.

Seriously though, been remarkably excited for this game since I first heard about it. Do want. A lot.

Mar 26, 2008
Did I see a Genestealer head poking in from the side? And being a Dark Angels man myself I'm getting a bit sick of seeing the Ultramarines.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dogstile said:
Man, I want a game where you play as orcs.

... or a mod for mount and blade thats warhammer themed. I would LOVE that.
I want a 40k survival horror game with the tyranids as the monsters and the orks as the "good guys" we iz gots to kill da gribblies

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
JemothSkarii said:
Looks amazing, coupled with the gameplay, I shall be getting this...
...although less Ultrasmurf would be nice, and I wouldn't mind a game playing as an Archon or a Farseer
Just be glad Relic departed from the Blood Ravens.

OT: I want a poster of that box art.
Ah, good point, with their beloved SPESS MAHREENS who's face is their shield

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Did I see a Genestealer head poking in from the side? And being a Dark Angels man myself I'm getting a bit sick of seeing the Ultramarines.
I think it's a generic Daemon/Bloodletter. They have confirmed that Chaos shall appear near the end of the game as the proper villain.

The cover is just hinting at it.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Its a Bloodletter. If your talking about that red head ont he side.