Best Free/Free-to-play game you've played

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
I'm currently playing Spiral Knights, a free-to-play MMORPG, in steam right now. It would probably be one of the best "free" games I've played if the energy system they have wasn't so restrictive. I think it's basically impossible to make a high-level character without spending something, and I've resisted so far!

Portal sits the throne right now since it's free now (and I indeed played it for free).

There might be a couple of free gems that I don't know of yet. What's your favorite free game?

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Echo Bazaar is like farmville except it looks better, plays better, contains choice, doesn't make you feel ashamed to breathe, and has some of the best writing in any game ever.

Sarsaparilla

Apr 13, 2011
Ben there, Dan that! It's a hilarious classic point & click adventure game that you can get for free at:

http://www.sizefivegames.com/games/ben-there-dan-that/

The sequel is even better and you can pick it & the original up on Steam for a measly $5.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
BlindTom said:
Echo Bazaar is like farmville except it looks better, plays better, contains choice, doesn't make you feel ashamed to breathe, and has some of the best writing in any game ever.
I've heard of this game but I never played it. It looks really interesting! So nice to see a game that doesn't revolve around combat while also still being geared towards older gamers.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Trackmania nations is a pretty good free game, atleast if your into precision racers, its got about 60 premade solo maps, countless multiplayer ones and an editor that lets you create your own maps, so even if you get bored of trying to win races you can always make a stunt park and have some fun.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I had me a lotta fun with vindictus once. Sadly AAA games have been coming hot and heavy and I have had little time for grindy gem.

Zack1501

Mar 22, 2011
The old pokemon games a free on:
www.playr.org

There are tons of free flash games on www.kongregate.com but if this is news to you, you probably live under a rock.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
League of Legends, a free to play RTS.. thing. Good game, it does stick to the "easy to play, hard to master" format too much though. It feels like there isn't much room for a player to grow, especially considering how easy it is to master some of the more user friendly champions. I know why it's like that, the game is about the skill of a team, not so much the player. Unfortunately I find I've gotta be in a pretty specific mood to want to play something like that, especially when you have to work overtime in PUGs because half the people you're matched with are morons. Then there's also the cash shop which fucks things up further, I'm still trying out different champions, but I'm being matched up with people that have the real life disposable income to buy the best boosts to champions they've settled on.

I fucking hate cash shops in free to play games that would be otherwise good. Q_Q *goes back to WoW*

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Soldat, a 2D side scrolling multiplayer shooter. Franic, fun, and easy to play. TONS of mods out there as well.

Duatha

Aug 9, 2011
Portal now, but before that, Crimecraft.
Crimecrafts graphics are on par with BFBC2.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
Soldat, a 2D side scrolling multiplayer shooter. Franic, fun, and easy to play. TONS of mods out there as well.
Wow I haven't heard of anyone mentioning Soldat for YEARS, now I have to go dig up that amazing thing again

OT: I have been playing the hell out of League of Legends recently, I like how they rotate the characters you can play as (besides the ones you buy through points earned through gameplay, or RL cash if your impatient) every week so you can try em before you buy em