Best Free/Free-to-play game you've played

jacilon

Aug 8, 2011
S4 Leugue... (before the crappy interface change)

Imagine this anime style shooter with anime style special skill and weopons...

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
I'd say TF2, but it got really boring and annoying after the Uber Update. So....America's Army 3?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
The amount of time I've put into Dwarf Fortress is kinda terrifying and yet I still often feel like I've only begun to scratch the surface of this incredible game especially when I see what other people have been building.

Amazing game, absolutely amazing.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Dungeons and Dragons Online has tons of play and at least half the content is free. I would highly recommend spending $6 on the cheapest point pack if you play more than a week, it gives you 4 char slots instead of 2 and unlimited auction house access.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
TF2! Awesome, so good I went premium because I killed 50 hours in a week. I feel like then it was worth putting 5 bucks into it.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Furioso said:
demoman_chaos said:
Soldat, a 2D side scrolling multiplayer shooter. Franic, fun, and easy to play. TONS of mods out there as well.
Wow I haven't heard of anyone mentioning Soldat for YEARS, now I have to go dig up that amazing thing again

OT: I have been playing the hell out of League of Legends recently, I like how they rotate the characters you can play as (besides the ones you buy through points earned through gameplay, or RL cash if your impatient) every week so you can try em before you buy em
I played Soldat for several years. Unfortunitely, the developers and community are... terrible. They are amazing at making maps and mods though.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
League of Legends is good, if you ever played DOTA in Warcraft 3 then it's pretty much that but better looking.

You also aren't ever forced to pay to access anything important, the only thing you can't get by just playing games is character skins, which are purely cosmetic anyway.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
TF2 and Echo Bazaar. TF2 for obvious reasons but Echo Bazaar does have some really interesting mechanics.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Mabinogi

Great combat system, nice community, cash shop that doesn't break the game, tons of awesome skills, graphics that look nice without frying my poor laptop.

Actually most of the stuff published by Nexon is good quality gaming. Vindictus, maplestory, DFO, dragons nest. Didn't like combat arms though.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
FLASH GAMES NOT INCLUDED

Mabinogi is probably the one I'd say is most suitable. It's got arguably the best non-combat/crafting systems out of any game I've played, not just free ones.

Path Of Exile is looking very, very promising and will be a free hack and slash game (think Diablo, Titan Quest, except the entire currency system is based around item crafting and upgrading) funded entirely by cosmetics and non-gameplay perks to make sure no player gets an unfair advantage from real money, not even exp boosts. Currently in closed beta, should be open in about January.

Puzzle pirates and Spiral Knights were both nicely made games, but SK in particular was very restricted without the cash shop.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Since Portal is free now, that takes the prize hands down. Team Fortress 2 comes as a close second. Valve sure knows how to make 'em.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Black Prophecy. Absolutely outstanding F2P MMO space game. I haven't really gotten into the game yet aside from trying it out for a couple hours but I can tell you the production value of that game from graphics to the music down to small details is just simply phenomenal and impressive as all hell.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Cpu46 said:
Mabinogi

Great combat system, nice community, cash shop that doesn't break the game, tons of awesome skills, graphics that look nice without frying my poor laptop.

Actually most of the stuff published by Nexon is good quality gaming. Vindictus, maplestory, DFO, dragons nest. Didn't like combat arms though.
Yeah I also play that game, though I haven't played it in a while and I like what they've done with the cash shop, now it's pretty well balanced but when the game started it was completely broken, I mean you needed cash to do a rebirth! With that alone you were left with a serious disadvantage... Anywyay nice game made better by the fact that it has a flamethrowers. Though my character is really low level because I deleted my character from the open beta...

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Cpu46 said:
Mabinogi

Would you say that Mabinogi is grindy, or that it isn't too hard to progress?

I mean are we talking Korean-MMO grindy or minimal grind here?

It's just that it piqued my interest, but I've go so much to play at the moment I don't know if I can spare the time.

OT: I'd say TF2 and World of Tanks.