Best game you have played this year?

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, DoomRL and recently Fallout: New Vegas. I really didn't enjoy F:NV at first, so I stashed it on my external and waited for the mods and DLC. It's a vast improvement now. Mod to convert Goodsprings School into a pleasant, spacious homebase with autosorting for your inventory and stashes? Yes please.

The two roguelikes are just games I keep coming back to no matter what. Never get old.

Also a certain Japanese VN series, but we won't talk about that.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
This year, its a tie between Deux Ex and Freespace 2, the odd thing is i've played plenty of new and recent releases but nothing made me go wow. While Deus Ex makes the Mariana Trench look shallow and Freespace 2 is making me wonder why the hell Space Sims died out did everyone develop an immunity to fun or something.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Dead Space 2 blew my expectations away, and DA2 provided me with a great (if not deep) RPG experience that I'm still enjoying. I'm expecting great things from certain games over the next few months such as Gears of War 3, Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock: Infinite.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. But I think LA Noire would be a good contendant if it had been released on the PC.

Oh, and Planescape: Torment.

Sephren468

Jul 19, 2011
I am probably going to have to go with the "preview" version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Cant wait till the end of August!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
LA Noire, inFAMOUS 2 and Portal 2 certainly come to mind.

Hopefully I'll be able to add Catherine and El Shaddai to this list, among others later in the year.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Persona 4.
I need to get around to doing a second playthrough sometime.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Bad wording OP. The answer is none, because you require a game bought this year, better than any game I've played this year. I played a game this year that I didn't buy this year. It's the best game I've played all year, in fact best ever. So the answer is none.

Best game I bought this year, prolly DA2. (I bought red dead redemption but I've not played it so I can't comment on it's quality, although I'm lead to believe it's OMFG good, so yeah.)

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
InFAMOUS 2, a sandbox done right, and one that doesn't compensate this with a poor story.

Chelsea O'shea

May 20, 2010
fallout:new vegas(and all dlc thus far),dragon age 2,mass effect 2(lair of the shadow broker and arrival)dead space 2(too bad after 2 play through s it got boring)and Mprtal Kombat(9)

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
Portal, Portal 2 and Minecraft all awesome. But if I had to say the best it would be Portal 2.

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
The Witcher 2, best game I've played in years. Loved the atmosphere, had interesting characters, best overall aesthetic of any game I've ever played, actual hard choices with actual repercussions. It has it's flaws but yeah, that's the best game I've bought since '05 (kotor II!).

I also bought all the Grand theft auto games in a steam sale recently. I'd played GTA IV before but never played it's second expansion The Ballad of Gay Tony, which is brilliant, so that's one of my favourite games too. Surprised me too, would have had no problem paying £40 for that one.

I though Portal 2 was good but not quite up there with those two and L.A. Noire was a disappointment tbh, it's surprised me how many have picked it as their game of the year. The Graphics were bad enough to be jarring, especially with the faces looking so good in comparison to everything else. Also the characters didn't really grab me, especially Cole who had enough personality and back story to let me know he's not my character, but too little for me to like him.

I hated how linear it was too, such as when (homicide desk spoiler)
I suspected and wanted to interview that bartender a fair while before the reveal. Someone mentioned a barman and it all clicked for me, yet then I have another few cases to work through before Cole figures it out. That's frustrating! Cole was also either an idiot or knew he was putting away innocent people, it was obvious to everyone that it was just one killer.

Also annoying that as far as I could tell, you can't really fuck up too badly. Still not a bad game as such, obviously just not for me.

Linsenman

Jul 2, 2011
Final Fantasy IX, or Just Cause 2. I have played FFIX before, but my PS has been broken so I downloaded an emulator and ripped the discs to my computer as .iso files, best time spent on my computer recently. Just Cause 2 I rented from Gamefly simply because Yahtzee liked it. After playing it for 10 hours in a day, I saw why and bought it from them. It's turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Serious Sam HD 1+2
Dawn of War 2: Retribution
Crysis 2
Terraria
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Alpha Protocol

Don't really feel like ranking them, as they're all lots of fun

Games that weren't as good, but I did still enjoy?

Dragon Age 2 and Brink. Yea, they had issues, and they were...pretty big, but in the end, all that matters was having fun.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
The Witcher 2. Portal 2 was the only other game I bought this year. Portal 2 was fun, but the Witcher 2 was more new to me.