Best intro for any game ever?

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
-Seraph-" post="9.122053.2446472 said:
Simplicity is sometimes far more effective than flashy awesomeness, and this proves it. Simple, effective, and will be ingrained upon your memory. This is how good things can be without the necessity of skyrocket production values, epic symphony, or over the top action.[/quote
Ahh memories...

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
My name is Alex Mercer, I'm the reason for all of this, they call me a killer, a monster, a terrorist, I'm all of these things.

Prototype.

Meaty Turtle

Jun 21, 2008
The Fallout games all have great openings, but my favorite so far is Indigo Prophecy. You break out of a trance in a dinner bathroom and realize you just murdered a man and have to clean up and get out before the cop at the bar comes in. Pretty intense.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
TJOP1 said:
Title says it all: What is, in your opinion, the best/most epic/funniest intro to any game ever made?

For me it's Carmageddon 1's, pure epicness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyWFX0FPhOA
I'm gonna go left-field here and say "Last Ninja 3" on the C64. Just because of the shock value - nobody knew that the humble machine was capable of it.

If I had to choose a recent game that I've played, which narrows down my choices considerably, I'd probably go with "Left 4 Dead". The opening cinematic is a great funny/scary pastiche of the whole zombie genre and serves as a fantastic introduction to the game.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
There is no contest: Street Fighter 4. NOT! Had to do it.
Ok best for me would be Devil May Cry 3. It really works up your appetite, both food and game wise. Besides, in how many games nowadays do you have a main character eating and beating the holy snot out of demons over a slice of pizza?

BladesofReason

Jul 16, 2008
It saddens me that no one has mentioned Killzone 1, for it is, in my opinion, the greatest game intro there is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Ns4qIyVpI

Honorable mentions go to Chrono Cross for its vibrant and energizing style and Metal Gear Solid 3 for its sheer badass.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Librarian Mike said:
The intro for Super Metroid sends chills up my spine. That music....
The last Metroid, is in captivity...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPT8GBdRCWE&feature=related

Have to agree with that, still haven't got past bloody Maridia though. :p

I like SSB: Melee's intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56P3-TwuRBo&feature=related

Always gets you fired up for a fight. X3

Ocarina of Time's is the best though, especially when played on a real ocarina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmDIW9rryP4

So relaxing...

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Fanboy said:
If you're asking solely about intro movies, then I'll go with Thief. The cutscenes in the thief series were pure gold, and the intro set the mood for the game perfectly. Might not be the best intro, but the best one I can think of off the top of my head. Since it has stuck in my memory, it must have done things right.

As for interactive intros, I choose Bioshock. The buildup to the first stage is just plain great, and seeing rapture for the first time always sends a shiver down my spine.
Hmmm, I was going to go with Oblivion...but you are right, Thief wins.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:
War has changed.

It's not about nations, or ideologies.
It's not even about profit, resources, or ethnicity.

It's an endless series of proxy battles,
fought by mercenaries and machines.

War, and its vast consumption of human life,
has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction.

War has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons,
use ID-tagged gear.

Nanomachines inside their bodies
enhance and regulate their actions.

Genetic control.. Information control..
Emotion control.. Battlefield control.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

War has changed.

The age of deterrence is now the age of control,
averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction.

And he who controls the battlefield, controls history.

War has changed.

When the battlefield is under total control,

war... becomes routine.
MGS4 FTW!! or any mgs game for that matter. I think the intro for the tanker section is mgs 2 was truly epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dmpQcKg9A&feature=PlayList&p=4DA712CF577A85A3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=24

Lonecoon

Apr 11, 2009
Fallout 2 said:
War.
War never changes.
The end of the world occurred pretty much as we had predicted.
Too many humans, not enough space or resource to go around.
The details and reasons are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.
The earth was nearly wiped clean of life, a great cleansing, an atomic spark struck by human hands quickly raged out of control. Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies; continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans.
Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth. A quiet darkness fell over the planet, lasting many years.
Few survived the devastation. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in great underground Vaults.
When the great darkness passed, these vaults opened, and their inhabitants emerged to begin their lives again.
One of the northern tribes claims they are descendants from one such vault. They hold that their ancestor, one known as the Vault Dweller once saved the world from a great evil. According to the legend, this evil arose in the far south. It corrputed all it touched, twisting men inside, turning them into beasts.
Only through the bravery of this vault dweller, was the evil destroyed. But in so doing, he lost many of his friends and suffered greatly; sacrificing much of himself to save the world.
When at last he returned to the home he had fought so hard to protect, he was cast out. Exiled. In confronting that which they fear, he had become something else in their eyes, and no longer their champion.
Forsaken by his people, he strode into the wasteland. He traveled far to the north, till he came to the great canyons. There he founded a small village, Arroyo, where he lived out the rest of his years. And so for a generation since it's founding, Arroyo has lived in peace;i it's canyons sheltering it from the outside world. This home; your home.
But the scars from the war have not yet healed, and the earth has not forgotten.
Ron Perlman. Yah really.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Gyrefalcon said:
Fanboy said:
If you're asking solely about intro movies, then I'll go with Thief. The cutscenes in the thief series were pure gold, and the intro set the mood for the game perfectly. Might not be the best intro, but the best one I can think of off the top of my head. Since it has stuck in my memory, it must have done things right.

As for interactive intros, I choose Bioshock. The buildup to the first stage is just plain great, and seeing rapture for the first time always sends a shiver down my spine.
Hmmm, I was going to go with Oblivion...but you are right, Thief wins.
Ooh yeah, forgot Bioshock. From the plane crash to the sphere ride to the first splicer... pure class.