Feb 17, 2009
IMHO: Company of Heroes, no contest.

Honourable Mentions:
Warcraft III & TFT
Total War Series
SM's Gettysburg

Unreliable

Jul 14, 2009
Homeworld - single player (there was nothing like trying to get those poor souls home)
Starcraft - multi player* (I'm not too good at it anymore, but I cant deny the quality)

*:(And no one better say WarCraft 3 single player, because the plot was the exact same plot out of Starcraft, just with fantasy in place of sci-fi)

spoonish

Jun 10, 2009
j0z said:
My favorite is Sins of a Solar Empire. For some reason I never could do very well in other RTS games, like AoE2 or SupCom, but I could actually win in SoaSE.
Plus ir has one of the best UI of any RTS I have ever seen
i know what u mean!

i dont get how people play aoe. SoaSE is awesome (novalith cannon ftw!)! im also gonna throw up homeworld in there..

Woem

May 28, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Dawn of War gets my vote. Alot of fun. Doesen't shy away from violence and blood. And the Blood Ravens rule.
Dawn of War is good from a Warhammer standpoint (since most WH games are total shite), but it's not that great from an RTS standpoint. I'll admit to loving it though.

My vote is gonna go for Rome: Total War (or any of the Total War games). I don't care if they're RTT and not RTS, I love them.

Also, Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun is some of the best gaming fun I have ever had. That or Red Alert 2. The recent ones are shit though.
Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 also get my vote, especially when it comes down to the multi-player aspect. I've spent so many wee hours playing those games over LAN with friends. For Red Alert 2 I would add Yuri's Revenge when it comes down to the single-player campaigns.

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
KoreyGM said:
Many people have asked what is the best game but more specifically what is the best RTS?

Personally one of my favorites is probably Company of Heroes due to it not being tedious and time consuming to get something done, also I'm a DefenseWhore and the nazis really suit me in that respect, just move up 50 yards, build another wall XD
You should play Total Annihilation!! If you like to be a defence, you can win a game in that just buy building a defence. You have weapons like the big bertha and nukes that can (if your crazy enough) win the game without building a single ground (or land, or air) attack unit lols.

google the 'spring project' for a free version of TA.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Command and Conquer Tiberium Sun. Still remains one of my favorite RTS games of my life. Started playing it the year it came out (I was eight, and terrible at it) and had a blast. Even now the story still amazes me, and the building designs, weapons, soldiers, just I hate to sound almost fanboyish, but I just plain love this game.

WriterX

Mar 21, 2008
Company of Heroes is high on my list though it lacks a certain something. Dawn of War is about same, and I always loved IG artillery.

Although I would say my fave RTS for a very long time was Original War. A game where the player had to think tactics, not "The Heaviest Tank wins". Each map opened up new possibilities for the player. In some maps you could not afford multiple tanks because they would just get stuck in tight woodland, and getting them anywhere would need bulldozers and the such. You could set up proper ambushes using Snipers, bombs, mortars... And what would beat the wonderful meatshield of "Monkey people" whome you could train almost limitlessly? Well, untill they all went extinct because you drafted too many.

Mongodyr

Jul 23, 2008
Warcraft III. I loved the singleplayer. Then I thought I'd check out that button called Battle.net, and it was like a whole new world opening up! I was like 10 - 11 when the game came out, so I was new at online gaming. It was awesome.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
I only ever played LAN AOE2 with friends - really wanted to explore other options, but I do suck at RTS.

It's nice to see a thread where people aren't trolling

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
i always say Its Different per person, like every game. each person has different Expectations, and strategy's they will apply to it, and will want different results, be amused by different things, myself i like Age of Empires 3's home town Exp, Deck System and the Effects of the cannonballs on people and buildings, while my friend likes Civ 4 and the Longevity that he can make a game do

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
slykiwi said:
CoH is truly an amazing game, it really can't be stressed enough. You should add a poll to this thread, that could be interesting.
When I made the thread I figured it was best that I didn't

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
madbird-valiant said:
My vote is gonna go for Rome: Total War (or any of the Total War games). I don't care if they're RTT and not RTS, I love them.
I think we could be good friends.

Just Joe

Jun 5, 2009
The posts on this thread are all a bit repetitive... I guess it shows just how popular all these games are.

Anyway, I'm going to be an individual and go for Starcraft, Rome and Empire: Total War, and Star Wars: Battlegrounds. The latter was a total AoE 2 clone, but I didn't care... I had some epic, endless custom battles where all six factions started with almost infinite resources.

Oh, and Company of Heroes. What made me uninstall it? I guess it's time for another run-through.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
spoonish said:
j0z said:
My favorite is Sins of a Solar Empire. For some reason I never could do very well in other RTS games, like AoE2 or SupCom, but I could actually win in SoaSE.
Plus ir has one of the best UI of any RTS I have ever seen
i know what u mean!

i dont get how people play aoe. SoaSE is awesome (novalith cannon ftw!)! im also gonna throw up homeworld in there..
Yeah, another great RTS. And its interface was also really good! My only complaint was I could zoom the camera out far enough to get all my fleat into view.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to few people have mentioned Total Annihilation.

It gets my vote.