Best Sequel to a Terrible game

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Corjha said:
Banjo Tooie for N64. The sequel fixed every flaw the old one had.
I've played through Banjo-Kazooie but only played Tooie briefly, they seemed pretty much identical to me, what exactly did they fix? As I remember Banjo-Kazooie was pretty awesome and bug-free game. :l

Corjha

Mar 14, 2008
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Corjha said:
Banjo Tooie for N64. The sequel fixed every flaw the old one had.
I've played through Banjo-Kazooie but only played Tooie briefly, they seemed pretty much identical to me, what exactly did they fix? As I remember Banjo-Kazooie was pretty awesome and bug-free game. :l
Banjo Kazooie came off as too kiddie for its difficulty level and not that funny. I found Banjo Tooie to be much more clever, having better gameplay and a bit more healthy maturity. Plus more than 4 characters did not have a speech/brain impediment.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Assassin's Creed...

Wait, there was a prequel to this? Assassin's Creed 1? Never heard of it...

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
That's a tough one. Rarely is a sequel to a terrible game good.

Hrmm...

Timesplitters, while not terrible was pretty meh. TS2 was fantastic by comparison.

Same with Donkey Kong Country. First game was a pretty, competent but boring mario rip, DKC2 was just all around fantastic.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Shadow Hearts. The sequel to Koudelka. Both are still terrible games, but Koudelka is a worse pile of dog chocolate than the ET game.

SH does however have the best quote ever, of all time. "Women are filled with gravy."

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Although not technically a sequel, Fallout: New Vegas was vastly superior to 3 in almost every single aspect.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Modern Warfare 2. Alot of better improvements and Soap actually talked!! *fist pumps*

Also, System Shock 2. WAYYYY better sequel. SHODAN being replaced as the villain made it amazing,
...SHODAN was the villain in both games. Not quite sure what you're saying here.

Rationalization said:
Fallout 3, wow were those first two games terrible.
hailfire said:
fallout 1 and 2 bored me to tears, but fallout three is one of the best games of all time
Please, please be kidding. I'm not that old already, am I? These are some of the greatest sci-fi RPGs I've ever played, and they have more customization and choices than Fallout 3. And, in my opinion, were better written (FO:1 very much so), and had a better sort of "moral choice" system that wasn't so obviously "GOOD BAD NEUTRAL" in dialogue choices. I'm not here to shit on FO3, I loved it too, put somewhere over 400 hours over it BEFORE I got the DLCs, etc, but I found the first two to be very fun as well. I guess it's mostly the combat that turns most people off.

Anyhow, back on topic, not meaning to hijack, I think Evolution 2: Far Off Promise was much better than the original. Both are not very good games, but the second one was at least playable. An argument could be made for Starcraft 2 or Team Fortress 2, but their originals are not "horrible." I'd say Quake 3 was much better than Quake 2, but to say Q2 is terrible is...Well, not easy. Perhaps Diablo II to Diablo? Diablo one was broken online (moreso than Diablo II) and D2 offered a much more in-depth single player -and- multiplayer experience.

Also, street fighter 2 turbo...

Bottom line is I just haven't played many terrible games. I've seen sequels improve upon an original, but it's rare that the original is terrible. If a game is terrible, most of the time it doesn't get a sequel, aside from a few exceptions...

Oh! I think I've got it. The superman game for the n64 was unplayable, and I did play one for PS2 that was "mediocre." I suppose that could be considered a sequel, and it got much better. "Shadow of Apokolips" or something.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Kikyoo said:
I dunno how Red Dead didn't get into anyone's list, but whatever I'll certainly toss it into the mix.

Dragon quest is a series that's been getting better as time goes on... 2 was better than one. 3 was better than 2. 4 was better than 3. five and six kinda piddled around but were still pretty good. seven was good better than the rest. eight was damn good. Nine is the best in the series, makes me excited to see Dragon quest 10.

Disgaea is a series that shows steady improvement with each new release, while maintaining the basics that made it good.

I'm not certain how good Saints Row was, but Saints row 2 was so good I'm not sure anyone can deny that it's a much better game.

And what about Super Mario? nobody mentions how it was steady improvement for a while? no? well whatever.

For me breath of Fire was great, but then Breath of Fire 2 was so much better, then breath of fire 3 was just stellar perfection! I loved it so much! Then breath of fire 4 wasn't very good... then the next one just sucked. hard. so hard there hasn't been another one since. a promising RPG series sucked into the black hole of it's own ass. So sad.
Super Mario? Which games? That's a pretty up-and-down roller coaster ride, my friend.

Let's review (home console "main series" only)

1=amazing
2=disappointment
3=many people's greatest game of all time
4=awesome, but on almost no one's greatest list
5=weird, with tons of use of mode 7
6=reinvented games in the 3d space
7=why am I spraying water everywhere?
8=sweet! I'm flying!
9=sweet? I'm flying again? Now with Yoshi!

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
austincharlesbond said:
Holy shitake mushrooms no-one has said Red Steel 2, that WII GAME. The first one was awful, but the 2nd was gorgeous, had superb controls and a really cool setting. It doesn't really share much in common with it's predecessor, but it's still a sequel so... yeah it's an amazing game.
I don't think anyone played it. I remember the hype (it being the first third-party title that heavily utilized the Motion Plus and all), but never got it because... well, because I didn't care.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Resident Evil 2 (sequel to Resident Evil 1). Although the remake of RE1 on gamecube is the best game in the entire series, the original resident evil was a total turd, a fact made more obvious by its awesome sequel, RE2.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
gigastar said:
Devil May Cry 3, which gave us this.

Sorry, I would embed it, but the video has embedding disabled. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr336JzMBmY&playnext=1&list=PL7E6692CA17E7E7E6]

As compared to 2, which was... significantly A shitload worse.
Decision not to play DMC series confirmed to be a good one. Thanks for the video.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
PhiMed said:
Kikyoo said:
I dunno how Red Dead didn't get into anyone's list, but whatever I'll certainly toss it into the mix.

Dragon quest is a series that's been getting better as time goes on... 2 was better than one. 3 was better than 2. 4 was better than 3. five and six kinda piddled around but were still pretty good. seven was good better than the rest. eight was damn good. Nine is the best in the series, makes me excited to see Dragon quest 10.

Disgaea is a series that shows steady improvement with each new release, while maintaining the basics that made it good.

I'm not certain how good Saints Row was, but Saints row 2 was so good I'm not sure anyone can deny that it's a much better game.

And what about Super Mario? nobody mentions how it was steady improvement for a while? no? well whatever.

For me breath of Fire was great, but then Breath of Fire 2 was so much better, then breath of fire 3 was just stellar perfection! I loved it so much! Then breath of fire 4 wasn't very good... then the next one just sucked. hard. so hard there hasn't been another one since. a promising RPG series sucked into the black hole of it's own ass. So sad.
Super Mario? Which games? That's a pretty up-and-down roller coaster ride, my friend.

Let's review (home console "main series" only)

1=amazing
2=disappointment
3=many people's greatest game of all time
4=awesome, but on almost no one's greatest list
5=weird, with tons of use of mode 7
6=reinvented games in the 3d space
7=why am I spraying water everywhere?
8=sweet! I'm flying!
9=sweet? I'm flying again? Now with Yoshi!
I DON'T KNOW MAN, as I understand it Mario World is usually neck and neck with Mario 3 when it comes to being on people's favorite list. It actually beats out three for me.

But to the topic at hand, if we were to consider Super Mario Bros as a sequel to Mario Bros, then that's a huge improvement.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
This might be bending the rules a little, but Mask of the Betrayer, the first expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights 2, was an enormous improvement over NWN2's original campaign. From an utterly bland story with a party of walking cliches (and the two who weren't straight-up cliches were still knockoffs from Planescape: Torment, a much better game) to an rich story with some real moral issues and unique, detailed characters (including a womanizing dreamwalker and a RAINBOW-COLORED GOD OF BEARS.) It's worth slogging through the first campaign (once) just to set the stage for MotB.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DMC 3
mostly, for making us forget about DMC 2 XD

Z.O.E 2
better story, less annoying pilot, and less bullshitty in parts

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
As people have said, I think that Just Cause 2 is the quintessential example of a modern game with a sequal that blew the first out of the water.

Mass Effect=great game
Assassins Creed=great game

but

Just Cause=shit game

Just Cause 2 being so awesome when it had such a bad start is a testament to the listening-power of the developers.

The Cake Is Annoying said:
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden coins [Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins] on Game Boy. I may be revealing my age a little with this one, but if you've played it and its prequel you'll know how worlds apart the two games are.
Yes.

When me and my bro first got our gameboys these were the games we had. My parents gave him the Super Mario Land and I got 6 Golden coins. Muhahahahaha :D

FirstToStrike said:
Klonoa 2: Luneatea's Veil to Door to Phantomile.

Now, DtP was amazing, but GOOD GOD the ending was shit. For what it was one of the most heartbreaking endings in video game history. And it felt pointless.
[HEADING=1]WHAAAAAAT???[/HEADING] That ending is classic! Fuck all this 'happy ending' shit, games aren't just some chinese brothel.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Icaruss said:
Final fantasy ten squares last great Hurrah..Nine was ugh....To be honest I proabley would't have judged it so harshly if it wasn't a FF but it was just so meh.. Expect for Vivi have have to think really hard to remeber any of the other characters.Ten was great though it gave me hope which 12 then proceded to rape but ah well thats life.
For me IX was the only game in the series after VI, I absolutely loved. I loved how the series was going back to it's roots, and the art style reminded me of the SNES days. X was kind meh to me in comparison.

OT: Well Devil May Cry 3 over 2 is the only thing I can think of but that has already been mentioned, so I can't really think of anything else.