Best thing your country ever did.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
NeuroticDogDad said:
Tetrapus said:
Wardog13 said:

Among other things.
And Why is it that (as far as I can tell) Americans think they're the only people to participate in D-Day.
Doesn't make sense to me either.
Americans - 2 beaches. UK & Canada - 3 beaches. Get. Over. It.

(and you'd have thought after turning up late for the first world war you wouldn't make the same mistake.)

And if you're going to try to start an empire you could at least have the decency to tell people you're conquering them instead of pretending that you're doing it for their benefit. "Liberating the people of Iraq" - ridiculous.

I'd like to highlight English contributions to world sport:

Football
Cricket
Rugby
Golf
Hockey
Rounders
Baseball
Badminton
Tennis
Table Tennis
Snooker
Bunjee Jumping
Bobsleigh
Darts
As I asked before, when the hell did I say or even infer that Americans were the only ones to land at Normandy?

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Iffypop said:
Da snakeman said:
First to abolish slavery, I believe.
Great Britain, a full abolishment by 1839, though it was earlier in reality.
U.S.A: Thirteenth Amendment in 1865 officially ended slavery in the United States, 26 years later
My £2 coin indicates Britain abolished it in 1807. Is my money lying to me?

The best thing the Britain ever did? Despite a history of countless wars with the French, spanning almost 900 years, we decide to come to their aid in The Great War (WWI). Also we were the first country to actively put an end to the slave trade, inlcuding attacking other ships carrying slaves. Britain didn't start slavery, but they pretty much ended it (in the west).

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
JimmyBassatti said:
A few things, which I've compiled into a list.

- We had the cowboy, the greatest thing ever
- We have a long history of telling minorities where to stick it
- Defeated the British with a rag-tag army of militiamen and ill-equipped soldiers
- Got two 25 kill streaks, and used them on Nagasaki and Hiroshima
- Elected 44 presidents, with only four being actually good
- Created the movie Falling Down
- Lost to Russia when it came to launching a satellite first, but held the fact that we launched nukes over their heads
- Clint Eastwood, The Duke, Neil Flynn, and John C. McGinley
Oh and it's 43 mate. Grover Cleveland, elected on two seperate occasions. Only 43 people have been President, hence, elected 43 Presidents.
I reckon you can't blame the Americans for not knowing about the rest of the world when they haven't even managed their very short history yet.

(NB: I don't know why I'm being a dick to you septics at the minute, i just can't help it, it's too easy. My apologies.)

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
People from my country invented one of the greatest things that there is: football.

The most popular sport in the world, bringing joy to hundreds of millions of people every week.

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
Sorry Wardog, but your particular highlight there is an example of the overwhelming focus of your media on the subject and it gives across the message that there were only two beaches, you took them and the rest of us might as well have not turned up.

Also, I didn't see your initial reply before i posted mine, my bad.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
STEAMED CHEESE!!! No I really mean that, you ever have a hand crafted burger with steamed Mozzarella on it? No? Well the congratulations sir/ma'am, you're wasting your life. Go to Hartford Connecticut right now and start living (and considering steamed cheese a bit healthier than other ways, not die as quickly from clogged arteries.

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
JimmyBassatti said:
NeuroticDogDad said:
JimmyBassatti said:
A few things, which I've compiled into a list.

- We had the cowboy, the greatest thing ever
- We have a long history of telling minorities where to stick it
- Defeated the British with a rag-tag army of militiamen and ill-equipped soldiers
- Got two 25 kill streaks, and used them on Nagasaki and Hiroshima
- Elected 44 presidents, with only four being actually good
- Created the movie Falling Down
- Lost to Russia when it came to launching a satellite first, but held the fact that we launched nukes over their heads
- Clint Eastwood, The Duke, Neil Flynn, and John C. McGinley
Oh and it's 43 mate. Grover Cleveland, elected on two seperate occasions. Only 43 people have been President, hence, elected 43 Presidents.
I reckon you can't blame the Americans for not knowing about the rest of the world when they haven't even managed their very short history yet.

(NB: I don't know why I'm being a dick to you septics at the minute, i just can't help it, it's too easy. My apologies.)
Do people even really count him as a president? And, yes, I forgot about that.
Yes, twice in fact. Which four are you counting as good out of curiosity?

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
mb16 said:
Plazmatic said:
Us (were I am from) invented the internet..

auto-win

none of you would be able to post here if it wasn't for the united states scientists!
(British guy Tim Berners-Lee not the usa)

OT: usa, canada, australia? (we kinda 'made' them)

also what are we speaking....
no actually you are wrong.. he is not British (well technically he was), the moment he became a citizen of the united states and had residency, he became known as an american, which was far before he made the internet. Disagree? well then, all the big achievements made by the united states belonged to other countries then, except those made by Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Yosemite.
The Interstate Highway System.
Star Trek.
The Electric Guitar.
The Mainstream Personal Desktop Computing System.

Buffalo Wings.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
AfterAscon said:
My £2 coin indicates Britain abolished it in 1807. Is my money lying to me?
No, you're just reading it wrong. The slave trade act was passed in 1807, however the slavery itself wasn't abolished in the Empire until 1833.
We stopped "trading" slaves in '07 but were happy to keep the ones we already had for another 26 years :p