Best videogame soundtrack?

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
ThePlasmatizer said:
For me it has to be Golden Sun, with it's fast paced battle theme, haunting music of sol sanctum and the heroic theme of Venus Lighthouse it was incredible to listen to, the amazing thing was it was GBA audio and it still sounded epic.
Maaaaaan, spot on.

I never got to play Golden Sun 2, and now i regret it :(.

That series rocked.

Mia <3.
Saturos <33.
Isaac <333.
Ivan <3333.
Yeah definitely, it was surprising since it was on the GBA you wouldn't really expect such a quality rpg to be on a handheld at the time.

Also you forgot Menardi <3

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Baldur's Gate II (witthout Throne of Bhaal). Amazing, particularly the options screen at the beginning.

Also, Assassin's Creed's promotion video featuring Lonely Soul was pretty good. Made me buy UNKLE's album.

I very much like the original Unreal theme, but that's just down to personal taste.

Oh and the Hitman (particularly 2 and 4) theme tunes..

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
My favorites would be:
Shadow of the Colossus (Particularly "A Way Opened") which has a soundtrack that punctuates the games epic nature very well.
Chrono Cross has some excellent songs but some truly obnoxious ones too (like SS Zelbess theme).

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
I've always been fond of Halo: CE's soundtrack, as well Oblivion, Fable's, and Fallout 3's. Saint's Row 1 had an interesting collection of indie rock in it. The Rainbow Six Vegas games were all-right, and I of course loved Portal's soundtrack.

Movie-wise, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou and Jurassic Park.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
I loved MGS series, I still listen to them on my iPod when I'm on the bus and train. Lost Odyssey is a good listen, the many different variations of the main theme is wonderful. Then again you really got to give credit to Nobuo Uematsu as a composer anyway. Eternal Sonata had pushed my love for Chopin. That commercial for Halo 3 with the epic diorama is what made me like him in the first place. Bad Company had a surprisingly good soundtrack for a light hearted shooter. Ohhhh there's just too many...

ctf1990

Jan 26, 2009
I love the soundtrack to the Donkey Kong Country series. I was up all night losing myself to the music until 1 a.m the other day.

Enos Shenk

Mar 14, 2008
In no particular order, Id say:

Bioshock
Half Life 2/episodes (Used sparingly, but when the music kicks in it complements the huge fight thats coming)
Katamari Damacy
7th Guest/11th Hour (http://www.fatman.com/)

Silvertongue

Jul 2, 2008
I really like Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Say what you want about the game when compared to the rest of the series. It had an interesting blend of operatic, celtic, and orchestral themes, in addition to some really interesting experimental stuff.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Wait, wait, videogames have soundtracks? I'm going back to my rock.

P.S. I meant a pyshical rock, not the type of music. Though, Rock music, for lack of a better word, rocks!

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I'll say it's a tie between Burnout, who never disappoints me with their soundtrack (except when they found it necessary to include Avril Lavigne. I couldn't hit the MUTE button fast enough, especially when it popped up in Chinese), and EA's FIFA series, which brings me so many songs from around the world that I never would have heard of otherwise.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
My all time favorite soundtrack is that of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit. It was an outstanding mix of varied techno beats and fast-paced guitar pieces, and it meshed perfectly with the surreal locales and track design. It makes you wonder why EA abandoned the original soundtracks for the NFS games and went with EA Trax.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
The Zelda series is full of songs that stick in your head for days on end. Some of my favorite include Hyrule Field, Main Theme to Twilight Princess, The Great Sea, The Dark World, and...um...that really sad song that plays in a specific part in Twilight Princess.

Midna's Lament

Other games with great soundtracks include Shadow of the Colossus, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, God of War, Okami, and Secret of Mana.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
People will probably kill me for this, but any soundtrack from either Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. The thing is, some of the songs (generally the orchestral/piano versions of songs or any that have vocals of some kind) are really good, for example 'Sanctuary' from Kingdom Hearts 2. These are the really haunting and beautiful pieces that stay with you for a long time afterwards and are emotionally moving. Anbother good song, however, is Still Alive - actually, make that 2 songs, as I enjoy both the one from Portal and the one from Mirror's Edge (although Mirror's Edge is still the better version).