Best voice acting in a video game

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I admit...I just love the way they (old timey black people?) talk

Zhukov said:
Fun Fact: That's the same voice actor as Ash from Mass Effect.

I can't recall the actor's name off the top of my head, but she's actually in quite a few games. Has a pretty distinctive voice, to the point that I remember recognizing it as Random Soldier #17 in the new XCOM.
yeah I know...she has been in quite a lot of things (and I did recognise her in XCOM)

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I can't say it's the best, but Borderlands 2 is up there. It seemed like almost every character's delivery was dripping with enthusiasm.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
WhiteFangofWar said:
On an individual basis I really enjoy Crispin Freeman's work (Axel/Lea, Albel Nox, Albedo). He's got natural talent for young, brash fighter characters like the kind I'd like to voice someday.
Aw man, how long have I been out of the loop? last time I played Kingdom Hearts Quinton Flynn was Axel and Lea... unless you're talking about a different Axel/Lea combo

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
There is only one true answer.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Dawn of War games are utterly fantastic with their voice acting. Goddamn can those Dragon Ball Z VAs scream...

But my personal favorite is Zachary Levi's performance as Arcade Gannon in New Vegas. He's just so understated and yet so natural sounding.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
freddy prince JR from mass effect 3 and DA:I why because the guy can change how he sounds so much that if I didn't know that Vega and Iron bull were done by the same guy id never of guessed it.

also the obligatory Jennifer Hale ,voice acting goddess that she is, mention.

yeah I think bioware pretty much has the best in terms of voice actors.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Vampire Bloodlines : The Masquerade

It has the best voice acting ever imo along with excellent writing .

Its also one of the best RPGs ever made .

Seriously.... Just check it out.....

I am surprised that no one mentioned this yet .

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I was going to make some bad joke and say Mario or Zelda has the best voice acting but then again for the little they have they do, do it well. Everyone likes Link's "HYAAAA" sound.

So in a more serious answer I will say the voice acting in the Batman Arkham games have been pretty great considering the voice actors have done the voices great in other mediums already.

I am not the best at judging voice acting and a lot of games I play are more game play focused with little voice work but I will say the cast of Kingdom Hearts do a good job most of the time. The first one had some problems but they got better.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Yep, knew I'd be back. I forgot to mention that I like Lloyd Irving's voice acting in Tales of Symphonia; Scott Menville can be anything he wants so he chooses to be a cocky, yet nice kid most of the time and Lloyd is one of my favourite performances from him.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Everything in Earth Defense Force 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfz0mpQ8SWk

Especially Michael McConnohie as the commander.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
No, not really.

Obvious choices are Bastion, Bioshock and Mass Effect as have already been mentioned.

I thought the cast of The Walking Dead did a fantastic job. A seamless, believable performance for the most part (although I'll admit that when Lee gets worked up or yells at someone it can feel a little bit forced).

In terms of specific performances I love David Gant as Oswald in Dark Souls. He hams it up a little bit but that's a part of what makes it so great. His laugh gets me every time. It's just so silly but he does it with such conviction.

I also love Jamieson Price as the narrator (if you can call him that) in Catherine. The guy who does the announcements at the start of each stage and tells you the alcohol trivia. He has a great authoritative announcer type voice.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
It has to go to Navi from Legend of Zelda, can't think of a single character who's got that much attention based on the voiceacting xD

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
albino boo said:
Baldur's gate I and II and in particular Minsc
Great shout.

Also, I personally think The Witcher 2 captures the medival British working class vibe superbly with it's voice acting & script.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
albino boo said:

Great shout.

Also, I personally think The Witcher 2 captures the medieval British working class vibe superbly with it's voice acting & script.
Hmm you have Minsc as an avatar I have a hamster, I suspect there is a connection to BG1 and BGII somewhere. Can't quite put my finger on it.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Spider RedNight said:
WhiteFangofWar said:
On an individual basis I really enjoy Crispin Freeman's work (Axel/Lea, Albel Nox, Albedo). He's got natural talent for young, brash fighter characters like the kind I'd like to voice someday.
Aw man, how long have I been out of the loop? last time I played Kingdom Hearts Quinton Flynn was Axel and Lea... unless you're talking about a different Axel/Lea combo
D'oh! Just looked it up and you're right, must've got the names confused. I like Quinton Flynn too, not only as Axel but Raiden.

It's unfortunate how we all remember enough movie celeb names to easily name a top 10 but not so for games. I bet a company would pay huge amounts to have Morgan Freeman voice a character, particularly a narrator or mentor-type.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
albino boo said:
Danbo Jambo said:
albino boo said:

Great shout.

Also, I personally think The Witcher 2 captures the medieval British working class vibe superbly with it's voice acting & script.
Hmm you have Minsc as an avatar I have a hamster, I suspect there is a connection to BG1 and BGII somewhere. Can't quite put my finger on it.
Lol, ah for another BG style RPG from Bioware. I loved DA:O, but I just can't take to the sequels I'm afraid. Whatever happened to that ye old worlde vibe that BG nailed so perfectly? Not even a space hamster made it feel anything else but classic RPG-esq. :)