Best voice acting in a video game

Metalmacher

Jan 24, 2015
Disgaea HOD has the best voice acting I've ever heard in a JRPG, thought'd give it a mention. People already mentioned Bioware stuff... ACII also is pretty good...

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Fable 3

As well as having an ensemble cast of great actors playing the major characters, for me what makes the voice acting in this game so good are all the minor NPCs who are voiced by great character actors, lesser known names, but hard working and talented stalwarts of British TV and radio who lend their talents in making Albion a believable and immersive world (e.g. Sean Pertwee, Mark Heap, Simon Greenall, Lewid Macleod, Karl Theobald, Edward Hardwicke, Rosie Cavaliero, Sarah Hadland, Jo Wyatt).

In my opinion, there isn't a single character or piece of voice acting in this game which isn't well written and derived by a top notch voice actor excelling at their craft, no matter how minor or inconsequential the character.

Fable 3 may have a lot of flaws as a video game, but the voice acting and writing NPCs and their dialogue isn't one of them.

Phlap

Jun 1, 2011
Half-Life

"They're waiting for you, Gordon. In the test chamberrrrr."

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
Lol, ah for another BG style RPG from Bioware. I loved DA:O, but I just can't take to the sequels I'm afraid. Whatever happened to that ye old worlde vibe that BG nailed so perfectly? Not even a space hamster made it feel anything else but classic RPG-esq. :)
I think that in BG they could suggest and not have to show. When you entered an Inn in BG they had the music and sound effects that allowed you to build the picture in your own head. BG had charm but with 3D you have to draw everything losing that charm. Also the characterization was better, with relatively few lines you knew Minsc with all the dialogue wheel stuff for interacting you dont get a sense of independent existence.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Guffe said:
It has to go to Navi from Legend of Zelda, can't think of a single character who's got that much attention based on the voiceacting xD
You are an evil person. :p

Supernova2000 said:
DOOM GUY said:
The Legacy of Kain series

I second that! Simon Templeman (Kain) and Michael Bell (Raziel) are the best I've ever heard.
The entire cast was exceptional. I've said it before but it bears repeating; whatever they were paid, it wasn't enough.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh this is something that tickles my interest. Especially lately. So ill be brief:

Darksiders 2 (ok and the 1st). Every voice actor/actress in there, just has the deepest tones that compliment the larger than life characters. Fact of fun...Death is voiced by the actor who played the main antagonist in the original 'The Crow' movie. In the game he is the protagonist who's companion is, coincidentally, a crow.

Batman Arkham games. Specifically Mark Hamill's Joker. His voice is wonderfully bouncing all over the place but still maintaining an element of spite and threat.

Far cry 4's Pagan Min, it seems so well done, i cant imagine it coming out of Troy Bakers voice box. He does have some versatility! Probably why he's so busy all the time.

Bioware etc Dragon Age etc... yeah you know the drill.

Oh and Trev from GTA v has a great vocal perfomance. Soo angry. Must have been fun to record i bet.

Err that is still brief, right?

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
I've seen a lot of picks in this thread that made me go "oh yeah! that voice was super good!"

My personal favorite has to be Jennifer Hale as Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. That game had excelent voice-acting and plenty of people wanted to be bros with half (or the entire) crew.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
OK people, I haven't read through the whole thread but I will assume in your favor that you all said

AFRO SAMURAI. S.L.J has more lines in that game than in most of his movies.

Dec 10, 2012
VAs are thankfully coming into their own these days. Video games' popularity in the last few years, and the success of more and more cartoon shows and animated movies has made VA work a legitimate gig, and there are many people who have perfected the craft. I really pay a lot of attention to the acting quality in games, and most games these days have at least passable work.

Most recently, I've been playing The Wolf Among Us, and it is thanks to the voice acting as much as anything that the game works so well. Bigby especially is masterful, he never drops a single line, which is impressive considering how far the conversation system can branch.. I don't even recognize most of the names in the cast, but they all do an excellent job.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
I've played both League of Legends and Dota, and the voice acting in Dota really stands out, for some reason. The smooth rasp of Necrophos (like an evil British Garrus) and Luna's wonderful Scottish accent help me enjoy the game even when things are going terribly.

I also vote for Logan Cunningham, the fella with the golden voice chords from Transistor and Bastion. Really wish I could get his announcer pack in Dota :(

Bioware and Telltale usually have great voice-acting down perfectly. I'd also cast in a vote for Thief (Oh Garret. So smooth. So sarcastic. So sweetly cynical.) and Bioshock (Atlas's accent aside.)

uncle_yuri

Oct 23, 2013
I'm surprised Portal only got a passing mention so far. Portal 2 has two of my favorite characters of all time, just for their voices and writing - Wheatley and Cave Johnson. "The bean counters said I couldn't fire a man just for being in a wheelchair. Did it anyway; ramps are expensive!"

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'd say Star Wars Bounty Hunter had some good VA. ADA was good in Zone of the Enders but everyone else was shipped straight from the Uncanny Valley.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
WhiteFangofWar said:
Spider RedNight said:
WhiteFangofWar said:
On an individual basis I really enjoy Crispin Freeman's work (Axel/Lea, Albel Nox, Albedo). He's got natural talent for young, brash fighter characters like the kind I'd like to voice someday.
Aw man, how long have I been out of the loop? last time I played Kingdom Hearts Quinton Flynn was Axel and Lea... unless you're talking about a different Axel/Lea combo
D'oh! Just looked it up and you're right, must've got the names confused. I like Quinton Flynn too, not only as Axel but Raiden.

It's unfortunate how we all remember enough movie celeb names to easily name a top 10 but not so for games. I bet a company would pay huge amounts to have Morgan Freeman voice a character, particularly a narrator or mentor-type.
That's probably why I left Liam Neeson's performance as James from Fallout 3 out of the mix. Yeah, it was good but it was.... Liam Neeson-y. I feel like sometimes they use celebrity voices to try to sell a game. "Heyyy did we mention that Destiny has Peter Dinklage in it? EVERYONE'S watching Game of Thrones right now, so he's 'in'!" etc. Part of me wonders how you go about recruiting famous people to voice in your game. I mean.... Look at the Legend of Spyro series, particularly the first one. You have Elijah Wood (to be fair, he's been in a couple video games so it's not THAT rare), Gary Oldman and David Spade. That's such an eclectic collection and though I enjoyed the game I spent the entirety of it wondering how much they got paid to be there.

(That being said, David Spade is probably my favourite Sparx in the whole series)
Xsjadoblayde said:
Batman Arkham games. Specifically Mark Hamill's Joker. His voice is wonderfully bouncing all over the place but still maintaining an element of spite and threat.

Far cry 4's Pagan Min, it seems so well done, i cant imagine it coming out of Troy Bakers voice box. He does have some versatility! Probably why he's so busy all the time.
I agree with these two as well, yes. I ESPECIALLY enjoyed Arkham Asylum's Riddler (Wally Wingert); it's amazing how he conveys these emotions and we don't even see him in the game. I love Mark Hamill's Joker but the Riddler was where it was at for me for the Arkham games. It's such a shame they didn't bring Ron Perlman back to voice Slade Wilson... THAT would've made my millennium.

As for Pagan Min, I think I covered him in my blanket statement "everything Troy Baker lately is gold" from earlier but now that someone else has specifically pointed him out, I'm inclined to concur. I enjoyed Vaas but I actually found myself very invested in Pagan Min's entire character.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
LordLundar said:
The entire cast was exceptional. I've said it before but it bears repeating; whatever they were paid, it wasn't enough.
Indeed, I found it difficult to even single those 2 out, which I think is only because they're the one's we hear the most. But yes, I agree.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Spider RedNight said:
I agree with these two as well, yes. I ESPECIALLY enjoyed Arkham Asylum's Riddler (Wally Wingert); it's amazing how he conveys these emotions and we don't even see him in the game. I love Mark Hamill's Joker but the Riddler was where it was at for me for the Arkham games. It's such a shame they didn't bring Ron Perlman back to voice Slade Wilson... THAT would've made my millennium.

As for Pagan Min, I think I covered him in my blanket statement "everything Troy Baker lately is gold" from earlier but now that someone else has specifically pointed him out, I'm inclined to concur. I enjoyed Vaas but I actually found myself very invested in Pagan Min's entire character.
Ah i forgot the Riddler. Silly moi! I always thought he resembled Hugh Laurie in House, perhaps after a terrible breakdown and too much LSD. In Arkham City moreso.
It is a shame there was so little of Pagan Min in that game. Crossed fingers that they release a standalone expansion where you get to go about, hand in hand with Min, causing majestic, camp chaos and loving every second of it. Make it happen Ubi!

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I have to admit, it's Courtnee Draper's work as Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. She had such a wide range of emotions and audio cues between the base game and Burial at Sea, and she wasn't too annoying or overbearing. Every line had some sort of emotion or characterization put into it. Troy Baker for voicing Booker too, but playing Elizabeth in Burial at Sea 2 is what tips her over.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I have always been a fan of Nolan North and his "voice A" (Nathan Drake). It was what made that character to me...

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Spider RedNight said:
It is a shame there was so little of Pagan Min in that game. Crossed fingers that they release a standalone expansion where you get to go about, hand in hand with Min, causing majestic, camp chaos and loving every second of it. Make it happen Ubi!
"You and me... are gonna TEAR shit up!" Aw man, I can see it now. That would be a GLORIOUS DLC. 10/10 would buy.

OT: ....Can I mention Rhys and Fiona from Tales of the Borderlands, now? I mean, Telltale does good but.... But Rhys and Fiona, tho.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Yardbomb. Yard-fucking-bomb from The Nameless Mod has the stupidly best faux-American Southern accent [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YcorH41AR8&feature=youtu.be&t=1m20s] I have ever heard. As someone from that region, I would be feel like I needed to be offended if it wasn't so awesome.

Also pretty much every character from Max Payne 1&2. Admittedly in the first one, James McCaffery sounds like he's reading a flat script instead of speaking werds, but iirc he gets better in 2 (along with everything else).

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Braddon Dent said:
What exactly qualifies something as great voice acting? The first thing that comes to my mind is believability, but is there more?
I'd say if it was memorable, which does mean that writing plays a part in how well it was.

But I love some simple voice acting. Reznov and the united states lt. in cod5 were both good