Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
They're going to churn out a AAA MMO in a little over a year? Yikes...even with years of development they can't help but put out buggy games. And those buggy games don't have to worry about networking code!

I honestly don't see them getting too far with this. MMOs don't have super graphics like Skyrim because they want to get as many subs as possible. This will be stuck with niche appeal, I'm afraid.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Micalas said:
They're going to churn out a AAA MMO in a little over a year? Yikes...even with years of development they can't help but put out buggy games. And those buggy games don't have to worry about networking code!

I honestly don't see them getting too far with this. MMOs don't have super graphics like Skyrim because they want to get as many subs as possible. This will be stuck with niche appeal, I'm afraid.
They have been busy for 5 years they just kept it a secret.

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
Like most posters above me, when I heard the news I was worried what this would mean for my TESS. Seeing how Zanimax Online is taking care of this I can breathe a sigh of relief. (For Bethesda, not Zanimax.) I wish Zanimax luck in this endeavor, but I suspect the market is already saturated with MMOs, FTP or otherwise, and hope it doesn't become another Conan.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
... you know up until now i was kinda mad my main PC had a breakdown of some sort. However now? It looks like if i can leave it alone until around chriistmas, i might be able to buy a new PC (hmmm, or mac. things are being more compatble for that stuff now, hmmm) and make sure it's top of the line to run this kind of thing. I really hope this is good.

SilentVirus

Jul 23, 2009
This will either be really great, or really bad. But I wish companies would just come to realize that if you put an MMORPG out in the market, World of Warcraft will almost entirely overshadow it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
DEATHROAD said:
Given that WoW's been slowly dying on its own since Cata,
Ahaha. Everyone keeps saying it's been slowly dying since [Insert Expansion Here]

Again, it'll die when it dies. I don't think a single game will be the cause of it.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
As long as it isnt slowing bethesda from making another traditional TES game im okay with this.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Nasrin said:
Azuaron said:
Sigh.

I don't want to play Elder Scrolls online. I want to play Elder Scrolls BY MYSELF.

*grumpy old man*
You can play the MMO and yell at all the other players to get off of your lawn.
Actually, that could get pretty awesome...

Buy (or squat at) a house in one of the big cities, preferably on a corner or one with an easy path between front and back yards so people will be tempted to cut through. Then when they get on (or near) my lawn?

"GET OFF MY LAWN!" *fireballs everywhere*

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I have zero interest in this and I am 100% sure that I will never, ever buy it.

MMOs are alike. Even more so than FPSes nowadays. And, they are not especially fun. Not really. Just addictive.

Zero interest.

Skyrim was the ES game that really broke me into the series. But I'd rather dig up on of the previous installments and play that, than another tired mmo. Meh, in a big way.

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
Irridium said:
Eh... not so hot on this.

One reason why I love the Elder Scrolls games is because it's one of the last few franchises where I can just say "fuck the world" and play in my own little bubble with no connectivity to anyone.

Not exactly psyched about the prospect of slaying 10 mudcrabs for their genitals either. Ah well, I hope those looking forward to it will enjoy it, at least.

Also, funny image that's relevant:

Quality image sir! i notice every player has super legendary Gear as well, how depressing, when all the world is running wild dual wielding legendary Umbra's.. sigh.

all i can hope is they take it in another direction to WoW, like a live action mmo, instead of all of this hot-key bullshit. Part of what makes the elder scrolls engaging is that the combat is not based off of dice rolls or predetermined combat routines, but that it all takes place "live".

why do more mmo's not do this? am i missing some fatal flaw with live, player controlled combat?

I genuinely hope its good, and have no problem with this direction, but i imagine i'll never place any mmo above a single player rpg, its just not possible to achieve the same level of immersion.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Two points that some of you need to get through your head:

1) This is not being made by Bethesda Softworks, the creators and developers of TES and the current developers of Fallout.

2) This is not being made by Bethesda Softworks, the creators and developers of TES and the current developers of Fallout.

SP TES WILL CONTINUE TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE NORMAL BGS DEVELOPMENT SCHEDULE.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
It's a pity it's shaping up to be the same generic tripe we've been getting for the last 10 years.

They had a chance to have an interesting day/night life cycle for NPCs, a chance for a good bandit/criminal system, a chance to get away from hotkey/cooldown combat, and maybe a chance to try an MMO that isn't set zone after zone on a set progression path. But they pissed it all away (although I think that last one to be a bit to difficult to implement, unless its kind of skills based like EVE).

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/first-elder-scrolls-online-details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo/

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Shinkicker444 said:
It's a pity it's shaping up to be the same generic tripe we've been getting for the last 10 years.

They had a chance to have an interesting day/night life cycle for NPCs, a chance for a good bandit/criminal system, a chance to get away from hotkey/cooldown combat, and maybe a chance to try an MMO that isn't set zone after zone on a set progression path. But they pissed it all away (although I think that last one to be a bit to difficult to implement, unless its kind of skills based like EVE).

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/first-elder-scrolls-online-details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo/
If you had actually read the gameinformer leaks you owuld know the game shares 10X more features with guild wars 2 then it does WoW.

Also that Kotaku article lied twice about what was said in the leaks.

TheFriskySpatula

Aug 14, 2011
I don't like this. The whole reason I like Elder Scrolls is that it's my own personal fantasy bubble where I can completely immerse myself. The last thing that needs is GIMME MONEIZ 2K GOLD PLEEEEEZ NOOOOOOOB1!!!11!!11

Not opposed to co-op with like 2 people in Skyirm though.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I'm hoping there is a fairly permissive pvp so me and some friends can just live bandit style on the roads between major cities to the Imperial City to ambush and rob passers-by.

That would pretty much be the most fun gaming experience ever.

Also, I hope they keep combat up to the same quality. TES is my favorite fantasy game as far as combat goes because it is all right in the players control instead of being at all turn-based. I hope they avoid going to a click and wait combat style.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
They need to think long and hard on this one. I hope they keep server population kind of low to not clutter the world. that wouldn't serve the tamriel atmosphere I believe.

I hope they will work the Dwemer angle eventhough the current chronology seems to suggest the MMO will take place long after their alleged disapearance.

but most importantly. I can't wait to get back to Morrowind :)

edit: and with the history alot of people have with the series this game has real potential to have proper Roleplay servers that are strictly enforced. Like with mods that kick you off to a casual server if you abuse general chat for the kind of GOLD PLOX bullshit.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Yaahh! Not only can I fail stealing from NPCs that are busy staring into a void that only they can see in a completely different room doing a completely different thing, I can also have immature fucks laugh at me in the process!

Thank you, Bestheda! You unoriginal fucks!

Though split-screen co-op would be nice. I could tie up my brother and force him do all the squats and weight-lifting while I just read a book. Don't know how he could play while tied up. With his tounge?

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
dylanmc12 said:
Yaahh! Not only can I fail stealing from NPCs that are busy staring into a void that only they can see in a completely different room doing a completely different thing, I can also have immature fucks laugh at me in the process!

Thank you, Bestheda! You unoriginal fucks!

Though split-screen co-op would be nice. I could tie up my brother and force him do all the squats and weight-lifting while I just read a book. Don't know how he could play while tied up. With his tounge?
..well whatever you do, wash your hands.