Bethesda Has "No Timeline" for Dawnguard on PC and PS3

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Bethesda is the third "B" to go down in flames in the eyes of loyal fans and rightfully so. It's shameful enough that they did timed exclusive DLC in the first place, now they are acting as if they couldn't care less about PC and PS3 gamers.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Sigh. As a PS3 user, this does not impress me. As a PS3 Skyrim player, it doesn't surprise me. As an average person, it perplexes me. Did their studio blow up or something? I'm not that fussed about the dlc anyway (not really a vampire fan, also the review was a bit lukewarm) but if you're not going to release the dlc for all platforms, you should probably say that at the outset...?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
and somewhere one of the high end Oblivion / Skyrim modders has read this and thought, well fuck it if Bethesda ain't gonna give us any info then I'll just do it myself. That's the issue, Bethesda you treat the console player as if they ain't important there is nothing they can do, try the same move with the PC gamer and they will turn round and do the work, release it free of charge and chances are it will better than anything you could have released.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
I was angry about this as well, but to be honest, and I'm sure I sound like a fanboy here, I think they probably have a legitimate reason for holding the dlc back. Bethesda isn't (I always get this wrong when describing companies, bear with me) a stupid company, so it doesn't make sense for them to alienate 2/3 of their audience. It also doesn't make sense in that they have the content created, so why WOULDN'T they offer it to people to buy? There's 0 downside for them at this point, its port and sell.
With that in mind, I think that Bethesda probably has major bugs or something that they need to iron out before release,major enough that they don't know how long it will take, and don't want to get an angry fan response if they don't have it ready by that estimate. With that being said, this was a rather stupid way to announce it.

Shannon Hogan

Jul 27, 2012
This was my 1st and last elder scrolls game not for the dlc I have all three game platforms so its not an issue. My thing is that in all my years of gaming I have never had to restart a game due to desighn flaws by the games developement team iv been playn sence atari yea I'm old school and have had every system in the US. So I know gaming. And I would never buy a add on for ANY product that was defective out of the box point blank.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Hattingston said:
I was angry about this as well, but to be honest, and I'm sure I sound like a fanboy here, I think they probably have a legitimate reason for holding the dlc back. Bethesda isn't (I always get this wrong when describing companies, bear with me) a stupid company, so it doesn't make sense for them to alienate 2/3 of their audience. It also doesn't make sense in that they have the content created, so why WOULDN'T they offer it to people to buy? There's 0 downside for them at this point, its port and sell.
With that in mind, I think that Bethesda probably has major bugs or something that they need to iron out before release,major enough that they don't know how long it will take, and don't want to get an angry fan response if they don't have it ready by that estimate. With that being said, this was a rather stupid way to announce it.
They released the PS3 version of Skyrim as an unplayable mess but you think they are holding back DLC because of bugs? That same DLC was a buggy mess on the 360 and they didn' hold it back.

No, I think they are just in Microsoft's back pocket and are stalling as long as they can on this DLC.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Great job Bethesda.
Who cares about the PC user. The user that kept you alive for so many years. Who made your games some of the most played, most modded, most loved, most sold games in gaming history. Who cares about the people who made a legend out of the TEoS games.

Also, good job to people still supporting Bethesda after this.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
Crono1973 said:
Hattingston said:
They released the PS3 version of Skyrim as an unplayable mess but you think they are holding back DLC because of bugs? That same DLC was a buggy mess on the 360 and they didn' hold it back.

No, I think they are just in Microsoft's back pocket and are stalling as long as they can on this DLC.
Exactly, ps3 Skyrim was a bit of a PR disaster. They could easily have been getting pressure from Microsoft to put out the DLC sooner, and it was buggy as a result. Now they can either test the damn thing, or get yet more bad rep for the Ps3 version being buggy as hell (again). Besides that, Microsoft comes to them with the exclusivity stuff, it doesn't make sense for Bethesda to suck up to them.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
And we weren't informed about this sooner, Bethesda?

This is the sort of thing you should be letting the fans that have been eagerly awaiting the DLC for a month know as soon as possible, instead of waiting to tell us round about the time we're expecting it.

That's what I'm annoyed about. Not that they still don't have a date for when it will be on PS3/PC, but that they've waited until now to tell us. People were expecting it to be out after the 30 day exclusivity period on Xbox, they knew that. If they knew that it wouldn't be on PC/PS3 by now, why couldn't they let us know sooner?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Hattingston said:
Crono1973 said:
Hattingston said:

Exactly, ps3 Skyrim was a bit of a PR disaster. They could easily have been getting pressure from Microsoft to put out the DLC sooner, and it was buggy as a result. Now they can either test the damn thing, or get yet more bad rep for the Ps3 version being buggy as hell (again). Besides that, Microsoft comes to them with the exclusivity stuff, it doesn't make sense for Bethesda to suck up to them.
LOL, you're blaming Microsoft for Bethesda putting out buggy DLC? Bethesda puts out buggy software, always have, end of story.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Such a kick in the pants. Sure, I like my mods, but I wish they'd just come out and say that they're under tremendous pressure from MSFT not to release it. If they're not, and they're just dorking around, that's possibly even worse.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
News like this make me dislike consoles, especially the Xbox, even more.

I cant remember which (old) video on the escapist told this to me, but these devices really are designed to exclude you from playing games rather than enable you to. I will rejoice the day the console wars are no more, and games is what it will be all about instead.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
This seems a rather dumb move on Bethesda's part.

Especially as there would be an unofficial patch for the DLC in about two weeks for the PC, which Bethesda can then freely look into themselves and copy over to PS3 and XBox360 as part of official patches.

Unofficial patches for Elder Scrolls games and DLC have always been easily and quickly available and seem to fix more bugs than Bethesda does themselves.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Scrustle said:
That's weird. It's not like Bethesda to delay stuff, especially indefinitely. But I don't think there's much need to worry. It'll come out sooner or later. Maybe the longest PC and PS3 users will have to wait is until the GOTY edition, but it should come. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't.
That's probably what PS3 owners thought about Oblivion DLC, they are still waiting.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
Fappy said:
I'm sure there isn't anything to worry about. Dawnguard has bugs. We should be relieved they are taking the extra time to make sure their product works before they release it... unlike pretty much anything Bethesda has ever released in the past.
I think you're right. They've certainly got a monetary incentive to release it on the PC/PS3 now that the exclusivity period has expired. In their eyes it's probably better to avoid announcing anything until all the kinks are worked out then to keep pushing back an official release date.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
That kinda suck for you guys. If it does make you feel better, you are most likely gonna run into a few pretty hefty bugs at the state it's in right now.