Bethesda Introduces Skyrim's New Faces

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Introduces Skyrim's New Faces

Even Skyrim's default characters are looking good. Except for the Argonians, who are looking terrifying.

A lot of time and attention has been given over to the different characters that people can make in Skyrim. But if you're not in the mood to make your own character, Bethesda has dozens of characters that it's made for you. What's more, it's released a veritable horde of images, so you can see if any take your fancy.

[gallery=438]

There are two hundred preset characters in all: twenty for each of the game's races, split evenly between male and female characters. They're an interesting mix of different ages, looks, and levels of beardedness - or in the case of the Argonians and Khajiits, hornedness and amounts of jowl fur, respectively. The face paint and scar options add even more variety to the portraits, and it wouldn't be all that difficult to completely transform the presets into something unique, just by changing those two details.

I'm also hoping that the Argonians have a special slider that lets you tone down the creepy, unblinking gaze. Seeing so many of them, staring at me all at once is giving me Jurassic Park flashbacks.

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Pretty good. But they should really think of some way to distinguish the Imperials from the Bretons in future games.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Badass Argonians. But I really hate new facial shape of the Elves.

Bretons aren't easy to tell apart from the other humans, which is a shame, because Bethesda was supposed to be working on making the human races different.

ShatteredBlack

Feb 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Holy shit, on the male Argonian slide, bottom row, second from the right...

It pierces my soul...
Scary shit, huh?

I'm really looking forward to making my own character... just a shame it'll take me upwards for 3 hours, like it did in oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: NV, etc. :p

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Clever Girl.......Also am I the only person who is still struggling to tell which of the human races is which?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Argonians have been my favorite since Daggerfall, I'm really looking forward to creating a few Argonian characters with Skyrim :)

PPB

May 25, 2009
I'm glad they're including these. I never really got the hang of sliders. When I first played Oblivion, I spent a lot of time trying to build something decent but it never quite worked. Then in Mass Effect I thought I had something nice, but when I saw the face in-game on different angles and with proper lighting, I realised how ugly it actually was. Nowadays I just stick to preset faces.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Man, High Elf's look really ugly this time round. They do look powerful though. I like the look of all the races tbh. Imperial, Dark Elf and High Elf were my choices for Oblivion.

Edit: Actually the female High Elf's look pretty nice.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
They need to dial back the "character" a little. It looks like the default human PCs are septuagenarians!

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Clever Girl.......Also am I the only person who is still struggling to tell which of the human races is which?
No, I'm having trouble with that, too. Well, actually, I have the feeling that the last set was the Nords, so that wasn't that much of a problem, but everyone else, yeah, kind of hard to tell.

But I doubt that would matter. The more I see the Argonians, the more I think to myself "f**k Imperial! I want to be a lizard man!"

Also I'm not a big fan of any of the females in this game [small](Argonians excluded)[/small]. Their lips seem way to big an glossy, as well as their eyes. Still, I'm sure I could change that, of course, so no biggy.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Nords are lookin' good! I am so happy I was able to pre order and get that cloth map!

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
These are the faces of evil! You must conquer each!

Anyway, on a more serious note: These look pretty good, there's plenty of variety as well. Woohoo!