Bethesda (Makers of such hits as Oblivion and Fallout 3) Says That WRPG's Are More Realistic Than JR

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Ummm... because they are. WRPGs are much more grounded in reality. JRPGs are just filled with illogical elements: massive swords, ridiculous hair, a lack of regard for physics, weird facial proportions, turn based combat, combat multipliers, etc.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I think people confuse "realism" with "Believability" a good example is Dragon age Origins, that game really gave off the idea of "If magic existed, this is what it could look like" and it does seem to me that WRPG's are more believable then JRPG's (And then you have WRPG's like Dues Ex and Mass Effect which seem realistic AND believable) so overall yes I agree with Howard, WRPG's tend to be either more believable or realistic.

May 17, 2010
I agree with him. I think we are able to determine a reality of a piece of fiction like how a song of ice and fire is less fantastical then lord of the rings. However the point is mute, so what? Sometimes deviating from reality completely is great and sometimes it isn't. Citizen Kane and the Godfather are not fantastical bhut are very good.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
I'm reaching into my collection of JRPGs and WRPG and pulling out two at random. Tell me which looks more likely to have been on Earth.

VERSUS

Yeah......

The thing about JRPGs? They allow more creativity because they aren't based on Tolkien novels. Heck, even Mass Effect and the latter Fallouts have obvious inspiration from the universe of Lord of the Rings.

It's that creativity and personality in a JRPG that sucks people in and makes the world feel realistic. In a sense of reality however, they are off the wall bonkers.

Personally, I can't wait for these two genres to merge to allow the passion and the characters of a JRPG to be mixed with the freedom of every WRPG. Alas, Mass Effect is the closest we're getting to that.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
imahobbit4062 said:
ChupathingyX said:
I already knew Bethesda were stupid, I don't need an article like this to verify the point, but it is a good thing to know anyway.

No, RPGs should not be realistic, however, if it is sci-fi then it should have science in it and I would love Bethesda to explain to me why after 200 years there is still so much radiation floating around the Capital Wasteland.

Oh and aren't Bethesda the people who made the Experimental MIRV and Rock-It launcher?
A single nuclear bomb can render a place full of radiation for decades. A nuclear holocaust? Dozens, maybe even hundreds of nuclear bombs? Even after 200 years, radiation would still be a big problem.
Then why is there so much less radiation in California and Nevada who were hit just as hard?

Why is there less radiation in the water and soil in Fallout 1 and 2 than Fallout 3?

Also a website even interviewed a scientist who said that after so many years most radiation would be gone, Fallout is after all a sci-fi and not a fantasy.
I've not actually played Fallout (any of them) but did they say what type of nuclear bomb it was? If it was a Uranium-234 (for example) one, then you're easily looking at a half-life of 250'000 years. If it was, say, a Uranium-232 nuclear bomb then it has a half-life of about 68 years. I don't know much about nuclear bombs or the like, but I assume they can make nuclear bombs out of any radioactive material. It was possible that Capital Wasteland was bombed with a longer half-life nuclear bomb and California and Nevada were hit with shorter half-life bombs. Does anything in the game tell us?

The only thing I can think of for the soil and water is that rain has managed to get airborne radiation and transferred it into the ground. From there, the water flowing through the soil has transferred that radiation from one spot and dumped it in a new area, concentrating it even more if it already had radiation in it.

Op: I personally don't think any RPG is realistic XD JRPGs are far more ... insane? While WRPGs tend to stick to magic and mythology and such like.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
the point is Whats the point of Role playing something that is more realistic, isnt that completely counter to the point of the endeavor?

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
You know I've heard all of this type of arguing before, except it was over a fictional book. A book about a man coming back from the dead to spread his father's word or something, I've never read it. It's a best seller, I hear.

My Assassin's Creed reference should do enough to say this: action-adventure games can come from anywhere to be awesome, why can't RPGs?

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Western RPG's are more realistic. Is it more realistic to cast fireballs at elves or 12 year olds with stupid arse hair and massively oversized weapons standing in a line and taking turns whacking a giant dinosaur that just sits there and patiently waits its turn to cast high level magic (Final Fantasy 3 brontosaurus could cast VERY high level magic). Bethesda games, maybe not. But no RPG is more realistic than Mount&Blade and its sequels.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
....are saying that Western RPGs are more realistic than JRPG's. Have you ever heard of Persona?!
Persona.... Realistic....?

Good sir, this is a game where a government issue billion dollar android is sent to high-school and falls in love with a guy who shoots himself in the head to summon monsters during his deepest nightmares.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
yes they are pretty much right
that's the reason why i prefer jrpgs over wrpgs
they are not that reality bound like the always same wrpgs where 90% all play in the same universe and time period

if you look at jrpg universes you'll see how much they not only differ from each other but reality as well
i try to remember a wrpg where 3 characters jump 30 feet in the air and perform a combo over a minute defying all physical laws... i don't know any
but in jrpgs this is standard procedure
do that in oblivion and it would totally break the world

sure it is all fantasy but with wrpgs it feels more like a thin layer of fantasy over reality and not the other way around

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Jesus Christ, did no one read the article? Todd Howard is completely right; JRPGs are more fantastical while WRPGs are more realistic(note: not necessarily realistic); he even admitted he was generalizing.

Greg Zeschuk is a much bigger douchebag; he calls JRPGs stagnant while Mass Effect 2 has the linearity of most JRPGs and corridor nature of Final Fantasy XIII; but at least Final Fantasy XIII had an excuse.

demoman_chaos said:
Western RPG's are more realistic. Is it more realistic to cast fireballs at elves or 12 year olds with stupid arse hair and massively oversized weapons standing in a line and taking turns whacking a giant dinosaur that just sits there and patiently waits its turn to cast high level magic (Final Fantasy 3 brontosaurus could cast VERY high level magic). Bethesda games, maybe not. But no RPG is more realistic than Mount&Blade and its sequels.
They're both unrealistic for their own reasons; many WRPGs back then were turn based and used D&D mechanics. Your cliche, untrue 12 year old stupid hair argument doesn't mean anything when you have to roll a dice to evade an attack.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
King of the Sandbox said:
At least fantasy rpg's are based on an actual time period and it's mythos. I don't recall a period in history where we all summoned giant monsters or rode around on golden chickens.
:) Well that's because those things are too awesome to be real.
:( Also, what happened to all the dragons and mages?

I agree that WRPGs are a bit more "grounded" than JRPGs, but is that good or bad?
By that I mean....Well read this next phrase and tell me what you think.
"My fantasy is better because its more realistic."
It just sounds weird to me. I`m not saying that this makes WRPGs bad or not as good as JRPGs, but well what would you rather do; walk around and ride a horse, or walk around and ride a dragon? One is far less realistic but that doesn't make it bad.
Also, me personally, when killing all those thugs and racists in Dragon Age 2, I kept thinking, "You know, it would be awesome to fight a High Dragon right now."(>_< which I only got to do once.)

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
It's just a lack of imagination, as always. Japanese storytellers will pretty much always have far more "out there" ideas than American developers (generalization, obviously), but I don't think he's talking about that, especially since "realistic" becomes a relative term when applied to a developed fantasy world (i.e. choking enemies telekinetically is realistic in a world in which The Force exists).

I think he's talking about gameplay. And its surprising how many people can't wrap their minds around the idea of something like turn-based combat being representative of real combat without being a direct emulation of it. Games like Call of Duty try to emulate combat, whereas games like Final Fantasy or Puzzle Quest create a system to represent it; in a way, the latter games are more like actual "games" whereas a game that simply tries emulating its inspirational actions is more of a "simulation." Japanese combat systems are not suggestive of a world where characters line up, attack every 10 seconds, and get back in line; that is simply a "gamified," if you will, representation of real combat. That really shouldn't be as difficult to grasp as it seems to be for so many people.

Hmm... this'll have to be the topic of an article for my blog; I hadn't yet thought about it as deeply as I do when writing.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Phoenix_XIII said:
What do you all think?
What he's saying is that within the core premise of each game, on average Western RPGs are more realistic in playing out that concept. There's a central what if and the heart of every fantasy of sci-fi game but where J-RPGs tend to be more bat-shit insane.

Morrowind - odd fantasy world, physics works normally (ish) inside of it outside 'magic', people can only carry so much, better armour is heavy, etc etc. You swing swords, deflect blows and fire arrows.

FFXIII - odd fantasy world, main character can get away with wearing fashionable jackets as armour and the combat is, well, mental: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII#Battle_system

That's what he means by unrealistic.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Stall said:
Da Orky Man said:
less-armour-means-more-protection
Looks like you've never played any WRPGs if you think that is somehow exclusive to JRPGs :p
Not exclusive, but JRPGs go for it more. In Soul Calibur 4, my character wore next to nothing because I wanted the best protection. In Oblivion, my character was dressed head-to-toe in Daedric armour that meant you couldn't see any of them. At all.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Well lets compare two RPG's shall we.

In Oblivion I was a cat person who was charged with finding the illegitimate son of the late emperor. threw fire balls at some monsters then killed God.

In Tales of Vesperia I was a purple haired ex-knight who got accused of steeling a water pump. He collected a band of androgynous teenage misfits to help prove his innocence. Then he destroyed all the technology in the world and killed God.

Hmmm it's close. Let's try again.

In Mass Effect you save the universe from a corrupt government agent who's been possessed by an ancient evil sentient computer. and you bang a hot blue alien.

In Final Fantasy 10 you are an androgynous underwater football player from the past who gets sent to the future to help a hot chick kill his dad who is God.

hmmmmmm. No I don't think there's any credibility on either side of the argument.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
YunikoYokai5 said:
ChupathingyX said:
imahobbit4062 said:
ChupathingyX said:
I already knew Bethesda were stupid, I don't need an article like this to verify the point, but it is a good thing to know anyway.

No, RPGs should not be realistic, however, if it is sci-fi then it should have science in it and I would love Bethesda to explain to me why after 200 years there is still so much radiation floating around the Capital Wasteland.

Oh and aren't Bethesda the people who made the Experimental MIRV and Rock-It launcher?
A single nuclear bomb can render a place full of radiation for decades. A nuclear holocaust? Dozens, maybe even hundreds of nuclear bombs? Even after 200 years, radiation would still be a big problem.
Then why is there so much less radiation in California and Nevada who were hit just as hard?

Why is there less radiation in the water and soil in Fallout 1 and 2 than Fallout 3?

Also a website even interviewed a scientist who said that after so many years most radiation would be gone, Fallout is after all a sci-fi and not a fantasy.
I've not actually played Fallout (any of them) but did they say what type of nuclear bomb it was? If it was a Uranium-234 (for example) one, then you're easily looking at a half-life of 250'000 years. If it was, say, a Uranium-232 nuclear bomb then it has a half-life of about 68 years. I don't know much about nuclear bombs or the like, but I assume they can make nuclear bombs out of any radioactive material. It was possible that Capital Wasteland was bombed with a longer half-life nuclear bomb and California and Nevada were hit with shorter half-life bombs. Does anything in the game tell us?

The only thing I can think of for the soil and water is that rain has managed to get airborne radiation and transferred it into the ground. From there, the water flowing through the soil has transferred that radiation from one spot and dumped it in a new area, concentrating it even more if it already had radiation in it.

Op: I personally don't think any RPG is realistic XD JRPGs are far more ... insane? While WRPGs tend to stick to magic and mythology and such like.
Remember that, in general, the longer the half-life of the material, the less radiation it gives out per unit time.