Bethesda Makes Stealing and Fighting a Little Easier for Skyrim

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
As long as I can take a sexy female assassin through a city, killing marks while avoiding the guards, I'll be happy.

In Oblivion, if you didn't one shit kill a character, even when they're alone in their house, every guard in the universe suddenly had a bounty out on me.

[HEADING=1]STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM![/HEADING]
this.

taking our psychic guards makes me want to buy this game.

also, if they rework the combat to actually make it look like i'm hitting something rather than just swinging my sword back and forth lazily, then i'll pre-order it right fucking now.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
As noted elsewhere, the "local bounty only" is exactly how it was in Daggerfall. Which misfired horribly there, because a lot of provinces were totally irrelevant to the plot and you could simply go to one, borrow millions of gold, never repay it and just skip out, and as long as you didn't go back into the meaningless province, free money. I hope Bethesda is smarter than that this time.

EnigmaticSevens said:
*cries many happy, happy tears* Warrior whores would be amazing though, skilled bodyguard warrior whores. Warriors are rather bland on their own, and Whores... well, whores are still lovely, but they've been done to death (unless they have a merciful pimp.) I imagine warrior whores as some kind of Sin City hooker meets Enara... which is amazing. Imagine, being the gigolo that saved the world from dragons, there's a title to wear with pride!
Excellent, I'll be able to rework one of my WoW characters (herself a refugee from an old Firefly campaign) and once again be an dual-sword-wielding arse-kicking Companion.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Yea I think of the Zelda fairies too.
I can't say I'm exploding. I'm curious but after buying the last couple of Bethesda games, I'll be renting this one first. If it's good and it actually works, then I'll get it... for the PC though. Never buying a ps3 version of anything they're connected with ever again.
I gave up console gaming years ago once I realized I could afford an awesome gaming machine and haven't looked back. Besides, modding has become a huge part of Bethesda's offerings for me.

I was hesitant with Fallout New Vegas, because Bethesda only published it--didn't actually MAKE it--and rightfully so. It was an enjoyable game, but marred by so many problems on Obsidian's usual laundry list of bug issues. Brink was a let down because they decided women don't matter, so my partner has no interest in playing it with me, so I have no further comment on that one. Hunted, however, was a very pleasant surprise. A well polished co-op game that has been an extreme amount of fun for us both so far.

So the Bethesda-published titles have been a mixed bag for me, but Bethesda-made games, Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, have all instilled enough confidence in me to make me not question a day one purchase on Skyrim.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
Honestly, I just hope the game doesn't make you want to be an insomniac. I mean, your character... I don't mind if I want to stay up late playing it... but if the game mechanics lean towards 'do not sleep, or the monsters get stronger!' I'll be very sad.
oh yes. there was THAT too...

i liked how it worked in Fallout 3, how the enemies would always stay the same level so you actually felt like you were getting powerful.

unlike in oblivion... i still felt like a level 1 wuss from the jail cell no matter what level i was because even the rats and bears scaled with me...

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I'm sure someone at one point used hand to hand, but honestly, in real life there is no real point in it. Sure if you were going fisticuffs against someone sure, but everyone either has a weapon or runs away. Someone skilled with a weapon will always beat someone skilled with fists, that's why even monks had staffs, and other weapons back in olden days.
As long as you can still punch I see no need to dedicate a skill to it, as long as it can damage a little. I mean honestly, unless you trained h2h specifically in Oblivion, having your weapon break meant you were screwed.

On guards though, I think that unless they either SEE you, or the person you rob manages to run OUT of their house and TALK to a guard, you should have no bounty.
I don't really have a solution to lock-picking though. Skill checks work, but seem a little... I dunno... I always feel like I'm wasting my good picks when it doesn't work. Mini-games just feel really awkward.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I never found problems with gaurds before :p I always played a stealth character and very rarely got bounties because No One ever found out it was me... hehe...

But yes, very nice system but no difference to me; I look forward to actually hearing different voices in this game though.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
God yeah! Prior to reading this, my feelings towards Skyrim were kind of "yay...?" but now they're like "gimme. Now."

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
finally. just began re-playing Oblivion and i'm getting really pissed off with the guards knowing that i smacked someone in Bruma even when i run to Chorrol right afterwaards.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Sounds totally awesome! Although I don't see the point in renaming the guilds. Seems a bit strange that they would change them in such a drastic way. They will have to come up with a pretty good reason to make it fit with the series' narrative.

Dired

Dec 19, 2003
I'm not holdout hope, but if they can make a 3rd person perspective not actively terrible, and jesttison the "on camera interview" interactions with NPCs, that would go a long way to making me actually want to buy this.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
Guards were an issue?

I always thought of them as cannonfodder or ALL SEEING EYE OF THE TOWN

You know....I hope what we are seeing here in Skyrim will unfold well into Fallout 4 ;)
Fallout 4 will be the most beautiful stretch of brown and gray ever!!

OT: I hope being a thief won't equate to crouching all the damn time. That shit's getting old.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I was really not a fan of Oblivion...But this just sounds better and better.

I don't know, maybe Game of Thrones has made me more optimistic for fantasy in general.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Hmm... you know what I think you be a cool feature? Mugging. Or at least some mechanic for coercing NPCs into giving you money. It would make for an interesting source of extra income for villainous characters.

Generally just more ways to be a dick. Not because I just get off on that, but because even if you wanted to in Oblivion, most quests you could take involved you going out of your way for others and petting puppies and helping old ladies cross the street. It makes no sense.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Jumwa said:
GonzoGamer said:
Yea I think of the Zelda fairies too.
I can't say I'm exploding. I'm curious but after buying the last couple of Bethesda games, I'll be renting this one first. If it's good and it actually works, then I'll get it... for the PC though. Never buying a ps3 version of anything they're connected with ever again.
I gave up console gaming years ago once I realized I could afford an awesome gaming machine and haven't looked back. Besides, modding has become a huge part of Bethesda's offerings for me.

I was hesitant with Fallout New Vegas, because Bethesda only published it--didn't actually MAKE it--and rightfully so. It was an enjoyable game, but marred by so many problems on Obsidian's usual laundry list of bug issues. Brink was a let down because they decided women don't matter, so my partner has no interest in playing it with me, so I have no further comment on that one. Hunted, however, was a very pleasant surprise. A well polished co-op game that has been an extreme amount of fun for us both so far.

So the Bethesda-published titles have been a mixed bag for me, but Bethesda-made games, Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, have all instilled enough confidence in me to make me not question a day one purchase on Skyrim.
This could very well be my last console generation too. I?ve been playing more and more on the PC... and that started long before the PSN outage and it has just as much to do with Sony/MS as it does with the publishers.
Yea, Bethesda published FNV, so (and I may be wrong about this) they should?ve seen it and said ?hey, we know you can get this to run better. we?re not letting it go onto the shelves in this state.? That?s one reason my faith in them is shaken. Besides that, Fallout 3 and Oblivion needed some work when they launched. Sure they didn?t take 6 months to be playable, but I?m still waiting to hear when the inevitable ?game fixing? patch hits befor buying anything from them.
Don?t get me wrong, I love their games (bought Fallout 3 for the ps3 AND PC) but not for a day 1 purchase. Month 1 if I?m lucky.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
So they take out Mysticism, and now Hand to Hand?
I can't say I like the idea of subtracting perfectly servicable features, especially when they were included to fit a requirement of the game in the first place.
I know Bethesda claims they weren't "necessary" but none of the skills/trees actually are, if they actually believed that logic they would cut all the skills down to three.
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

I'm just relieved they didn't go TOO nuts with the shears.
Well, Mysticism was more of a "miscellaneous" category anyway, and all the spells formerly encompassed under that category will simply be relocated to the other schools of magic. And be honest, was Hand to Hand really all that useful as its own skill in the Elder Scrolls series?

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Bek359 said:
ZombieGenesis said:
So they take out Mysticism, and now Hand to Hand?
I can't say I like the idea of subtracting perfectly servicable features, especially when they were included to fit a requirement of the game in the first place.
I know Bethesda claims they weren't "necessary" but none of the skills/trees actually are, if they actually believed that logic they would cut all the skills down to three.
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

I'm just relieved they didn't go TOO nuts with the shears.
Well, Mysticism was more of a "miscellaneous" category anyway, and all the spells formerly encompassed under that category will simply be relocated to the other schools of magic. And be honest, was Hand to Hand really all that useful as its own skill in the Elder Scrolls series?
About as useful as Blunt or Blade were on their own, yes.
The only differential between them is that Hand to Hand didn't require a weapon, but you also made a major dent in the enemies fatigue.

I follow the ideal that a sequel should have more content, not trim off bits they can afford to lose out on.

HusaneFatal

Mar 19, 2008
I liked Morrowind's method for dealing with stolen goods... don't sell them to the merchant you stole them from or they will either attack or tell the guards. Otherwise how the hell does that merchant know I stole the item... Can he see the red hand icon on it as well when I'm looking in my inventory?

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
This could very well be my last console generation too. I?ve been playing more and more on the PC... and that started long before the PSN outage and it has just as much to do with Sony/MS as it does with the publishers.
Yea, Bethesda published FNV, so (and I may be wrong about this) they should?ve seen it and said ?hey, we know you can get this to run better. we?re not letting it go onto the shelves in this state.? That?s one reason my faith in them is shaken. Besides that, Fallout 3 and Oblivion needed some work when they launched. Sure they didn?t take 6 months to be playable, but I?m still waiting to hear when the inevitable ?game fixing? patch hits befor buying anything from them.
Don?t get me wrong, I love their games (bought Fallout 3 for the ps3 AND PC) but not for a day 1 purchase. Month 1 if I?m lucky.
I understand that, and it's a smart move. But I think every gamer has at least one soft spot for a certain franchise that they'll sink into logic be damned. I just don't think I'll be able to resist a Colletors Edition.

Unless they burn me on Skyrim with a very sloppy launch, Elder Scrolls is my weakness.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
I understand that, and it's a smart move. But I think every gamer has at least one soft spot for a certain franchise that they'll sink into logic be damned. I just don't think I'll be able to resist a Colletors Edition.

Unless they burn me on Skyrim with a very sloppy launch, Elder Scrolls is my weakness.