Bethesda Makes Stealing and Fighting a Little Easier for Skyrim

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
ZombieGenesis said:
So they take out Mysticism, and now Hand to Hand?
I can't say I like the idea of subtracting perfectly servicable features, especially when they were included to fit a requirement of the game in the first place.
I know Bethesda claims they weren't "necessary" but none of the skills/trees actually are, if they actually believed that logic they would cut all the skills down to three.
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

I'm just relieved they didn't go TOO nuts with the shears.
Actually they just moved the mysticism spells to other schools, as the "mystical school of mysticism" is kind of redundant.

The hand-to-hand i kind of get, as with the gameplay becoming more dynamic and player-controlled, making H2H a realistic option seems too much of a task. I mean, fists won't beat weapons or shields unless you're Bruce Lee or something, anything between would end up as "Haha! i inexplicably managed to block your sword with my fists without loosing an arm!". But still, no more kung-fu...

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
That's it, I'm not getting Skyrim.

Teleporting Super Guards were the one thing that made me cry with laughter, and I loved it. They've become an in-joke between me and my friends. I'm very upset about this.

Hopefully the PC version will have a mod to make the guards do that very thing. If not, Bethesda aren't getting my money. That is how strongly I feel about this.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
Bek359 said:
ZombieGenesis said:
I can't say I like the idea of subtracting perfectly servicable features, especially when they were included to fit a requirement of the game in the first place.
I know Bethesda claims they weren't "necessary" but none of the skills/trees actually are, if they actually believed that logic they would cut all the skills down to three.
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

Well, Mysticism was more of a "miscellaneous" category anyway, and all the spells formerly encompassed under that category will simply be relocated to the other schools of magic. And be honest, was Hand to Hand really all that useful as its own skill in the Elder Scrolls series?
About as useful as Blunt or Blade were on their own, yes.
The only differential between them is that Hand to Hand didn't require a weapon, but you also made a major dent in the enemies fatigue.

I follow the ideal that a sequel should have more content, not trim off bits they can afford to lose out on.
Content is not the same as clutter. Hand-to-Hand was also very bad for blocking, you had minimum attack range, couldn't have magic effects, couldn't have poison effects, etc. You want fatigue damage? Enchant a weapon with Damage Fatigue. You're still going to be able to use your fists in Skyrim, it's just going to do a set amount of damage, probably based on your level and the level of your other strength-based skills.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Hyper-space said:
ZombieGenesis said:
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

Actually they just moved the mysticism spells to other schools, as the "mystical school of mysticism" is kind of redundant.
Ho ho! Somebody read the magazine I see.

Jun 11, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Sounds good, just have to hope they tweak lockpicking. I simply couldn't get anywhere with that beyond the Easy locks and had to collect hundreds of picks or the Skeleton Key in order to Auto-Attempt over and over again.
I found it to be quite the opposite. What was the problem with it?

OT: Well most of those things were fixed by mods so it is good to see them taken on board. I am hating the lack of Hand To Hand and Mysticism(I think they got rid of that) as well as no spears but other than that it seems alright. I just wish they wouldn't decrease the amount of customisation.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
ZombieGenesis said:
Hyper-space said:
ZombieGenesis said:
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

Ho ho! Somebody read the magazine I see.
Who reads magazines?

I saw it on /v/, someone there (dunno who) raised an excellent point about how NONE of the spells in mysticism seem to have a central theme, contrary to all the other schools that all deal with an aspect of magic. Mysticism could have well just been named Miscellaneous.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Tiger Sora said:
Gona be hopping roofs. Duel wielding daggers and stealing all your stuff. Gona be one badass rogue.
If you are ever in town, I'll be sure to hide my kids and my wife.

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
skyrim has a few pitfalls it must avoid to appeal to the hardcore open world crpg crowd:

- don't overuse dragons. it's fucking ridiculous, how many "dragon games" have emerged in the last half year. dragons have been overused in the fantasy genre to vomit enducing extends. i for one am sick of them and elves and stupid fat dwarves,

- don't fucking make game more fitting for consoles. that was one of the major turn offs of oblivion. it was so geared towards the consoles, i hated every single bit of the interface. huge, clunky, stupid menus, endless questions and no options to configure it. luckily some modders took the time to mold it into something bearable. but vanilla oblivion, omg, i though i had to fucking kick my keyboard constantly,

- don't close doors. i mean it. i want to go in every building and find some useless shit. nothing breaks immersion more, than closed fucking buildings, that are just closed for no apparent reason, only to not confuse console players too much. i want back to ultima 7, not go the witcher way,

- don't put those faces back into the game. seriously, those vanilla character faces... GRAAHHHH... must... not... kill... handicapped... kittens!

- don't let creatures level with you. few things seem more illogical than rats kicking your ass at level 20. it's simply against any conventions. just... don't,

- don't forget the editor. that was the single most greatest thing in all oblivion and it almost forgave everything they made me endure with the release version of that game. a living and breathing modding community can extend the lifetime of a game by years and years to come.

i know it won't happen, so it's no downer if it shockingly wouldn't happen: native linux version please!

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
So we don't get hand to hand in Skyrim, home of the Nords, famed bar-brawlers?

U MAD Bethesda?
You can still use it, just not a skill tied to it

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
robotam said:
Hopefully merchants now accept stolen goods.
How would they know if my bags of grain had had a former owner?
Because there was a big red hand imprinted on that bag of grain, duh.

Seriously though, I agree with you on this one. What was the point of stealing something if I couldn't sell it? It's not like it mattered anyway, the guards always had the necessary x-ray vision to see me in that house from across town.

XShrike

Sep 11, 2007
I will hold continue to curb my enthusiasm until the final product. It is nice to hear what they are correcting but, it seems like then they fix one thing something else appears later.

liger03

Nov 30, 2010
I know this sounds really odd, but I kind of miss games like Morrowind. Cheap tactics that can temporarily raise your skills to godlike levels, a rediculous arsenal of spells, a shitton of skills (not all of them really useful (looking at you, unarmored. How can someone train themselves to take less bodily damage with only their body!?)a sword that is constantly ON FIRE...

Bethesda's tactic of shaving off the bad bits and polishing the rest has worked well enough for Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I hope they can find some way to, y'know.. ADD skills and spells. I wouldn't mind Divine Intervention or Trueflame being returned either..

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Though it really wouldn't make much sense for lizard-like people to live somewhere so cold, I hope they bring back the Argonians. Seriously, I dare you all to name something more fun than playing a cold-blooded Shadowscale assassin, I DARE YOU!!!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Excellent. I can now be criminal scum more efficiently.
I am really liking the sound of this game. It sounds like it's shaping up to be one of the greatest RPGs we'll have seen in decades.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
5 bucks says that one of the first 5 mods for skyrim will be adding in hand to hand combat.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Less skills again, and unnecessarily silly renaming of guilds? Oh Bethesda... you really don't have a clue anymore.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Everything I've heard about this game makes me more excited. Goodie!

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
rickthetrick said:
Lt. Vinciti said:
Guards were an issue?

I always thought of them as cannonfodder or ALL SEEING EYE OF THE TOWN

You know....I hope what we are seeing here in Skyrim will unfold well into Fallout 4 ;)
Fallout 4 will be the most beautiful stretch of brown and gray ever!!

OT: I hope being a thief won't equate to crouching all the damn time. That shit's getting old.
but think about it....They've shown a badass video where you slit someones throat....I would love to do that to NCR/Legion now...the HIT THEM IN THE ASS way of doing it seems cheap (unless they explode or lose some limbs on the way down)