Bethesda Raising Fallout 4 DLC Season Pass Price and Details First Content

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
erttheking said:
SIXTY!? SIXTY!? Are you as high as a fucking kite Bethesda?

I know that your DLC tends to be a cut above the rest Bethesda, but that is asking for a GIANT leap of faith.
Don't buy it then.

How is this an issue? It's like people keep forgetting what being a corporation is about. They exist to do one thing and one thing only - make more money. No one is demanding that you buy their products. Exercise some fuckin' restraint every once in a while and don't buy shit if you don't think the price is right.
Yes they exist to make money, but it's how they do it that is the problem. " They exist to make money" is a cop out answer. They literally rose the price by 66%. For no other reason than "because they can.

Now this, in my opinion , is one of two things.

A) A test to see how people would react to having aeason passes cost more. Realistically it is almost the price of a full game. Also to see how many people would be willing to pay that price.

B) A marketing ploy to get people to buy as many season passes as possible. When people hear that something they might be interested in, they tend to buy regardless of they were planning to or not, just to not have to pay more.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
monkeymangler said:
shirkbot said:
FogHornG36 said:
So i have played 516 hours of fallout 4, and still play it, its worth what i payed for it, and the season pass.

If you didn't like the game, that is fine, carry on, and stop wining about it when the dlc comes out.
I think erttheking made a sound point earlier: We should voice our opinions in addition to spending (or keeping) our money.
If you think you got your money's worth, awesome. Stand tall, friend and let us know why.
If you think this is a bad idea, don't buy it and try to explain why.
We don't have to convince each other, or anyone else, but the dialog is important, and who knows, maybe someone important will even notice it.
The issue isn't what he's saying, it's where he's saying it. I doubt anyone who even remotely helps make decisions at any major game company reads The Escapist, let alone the comments. Complaining here, where the majority of people share his opinion that the Season Pass idea is trash, isn't terribly productive.

erttheking said:
FogHornG36 said:
So i have played 516 hours of fallout 4, and still play it, its worth what i payed for it, and the season pass.

If you didn't like the game, that is fine, carry on, and stop wining about it when the dlc comes out.
I will *Whine about it as much as I god damn please, thank you very much.
Why not send a letter or an e-mail to the people that actually make the decisions?
You do understand this is a discussion forum right? We were presented with a peice of news and are discussion it.

Nov 28, 2007
Here's my issue with raising the price. Price should be determined by supply and demand. If demand outstrips supply, you raise the price to balance the two. If supply outstrips demand, you lower the price for the same reason.

However, the season pass is a digital good. In essence, the supply is unlimited. Sure, if the servers go offline, or they are ordered to pull it, then the supply vanishes, but the season pass will never be a limited supply.

You can say "charge what people are willing to pay", and that's all well and good, but only when you are selling the good initially. You then change the price based on the supply and demand model. Doing it this way, however, just paints Bethesda as being greedy. They are basically saying "Well, we are getting $30 for it now, but we think we should be getting $50."

Or, in the words of Darth Vader: "I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further." If this sort of thing goes unquestioned, or works, other companies are going to start doing the same thing, especially considering how high profile Fallout 4 is.

Nov 28, 2007
Major_Tom said:
Congratulations, Bethesda! *party horn* You're now officially the new EA.
That's not totally fair. EA starts off with high prices. They don't set the prices low, then practically double them when it is convenient.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Oh, lookit all the new and fancy stuff we can do instead of continuing our usual not-looking-for-our-lost-son shenanigans.
And at double the original price, too.

Good times, good times.

Seriously, though. This is gonna go the way of the previous fallout titles for me. I'll wait until all the DLC is out, and then buy them when they're discounted. 'Cept this time I'm going to have to wait a very long while for this to happen, since the first few discounts are obviously just going to reduce the price to the original cost (along with Bethesda touting what a GREAT deal it is).

I actually still haven't even finished the base game yet. I got bored around the midgame and started playing something else.
I should get on to fixing that... one of these days.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
"Automatron, arriving in March, introduces robot building"

That's something that should have been in the base game, rather than deliberately left out to sell to us via DLC.
And hilariously, craftable robots is something the modders have already given us, without even having any official modding tools.

Overall, I'm getting a bit of a bad vibe from these DLCs mentioned here. They seem a bit too close to 'horse armor' for my liking.
Anyone else getting that vibe? Or is it just me?

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Here's hoping they will back away from leaning so heavily on Radiant.

At least in Skyrim, you could mostly ignore the RNG-populated template: "Go to X and kill Y", "quests", but in FO4 you are outright "spammed" with them, pushed relentlessly onto you, and masquerading as significant (EDIT: ...and urgent) side-quests, until the pattern becomes painfully obvious and you wisen up.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Frezzato said:
erttheking said:

I know that your DLC tends to be a cut above the rest Bethesda, but that is asking for a GIANT leap of faith.
You still have until March 1st to buy the season pass at $30.

Methinks t'is a good tactic by Bethesda.
I don't like the tactic because they are trying to coax people into buying the DLC even before it is released... and the reviews are out.
So in the end perhaps it turns out to be shit and Bethesda still got your money.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
FogHornG36 said:

You're right. I will now leave this place of discussion about this topic so as not to offend people who cant bare to see negative comments.

OT
This is kind of taking the piss imo. There is alot of hostility towards DLC/ Season Pass (rightly so) and this is just providing us with more ammunition. Not to mention, like many other people (but not all, pointing that out to some more irrational people here), I found this game to be very disappointing. After this it's really going to take quite a bit for Bethesda to get me to trust them again.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Your companions being robots would certainly help to explain some of their stupid behavior and erratic pathfinding choices, at least.

I've been mixed-to-down on most of the Bethesda supplemental content I've gotten to sample in the past; at best, it sticks out from the main content like an extraneous limb; at worst, it actively tries to pretend that the rest of the game, and the capabilities the player has acquired in playing it, don't exist.

At least I'm not likely to have to worry about significant plot elements being spoiled if I wait until this incredible retail value magically shrinks to $10.

Adam Jensen said:
erttheking said:

Don't buy it then.

How is this an issue? It's like people keep forgetting what being a corporation is about. They exist to do one thing and one thing only - make more money. No one is demanding that you buy their products. Exercise some fuckin' restraint every once in a while and don't buy shit if you don't think the price is right.
And again, I say, no: a video game company should not exist to make money; a video game company should exist to make video games. A business has to make a certain amount of money in order to continue to exist, it is true. But at the point where making money is the paramount, let alone sole, motive, you're in the wrong business.

If all someone wants to do is make money, they should trade commodities and leave creative endeavors alone.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Somebloke said:
Here's hoping they will back away from leaning so heavily on Radiant.

At least in Skyrim, you could mostly ignore the RNG-populated template: "Go to X and kill Y", "quests", but in FO4 you are outright "spammed" with them, pushed relentlessly onto you, and masquerading as significant (EDIT: ...and urgent) side-quests, until the pattern becomes painfully obvious and you wisen up.
Ugh, yeah, Bethesda's obsession with radiant questing annoys the hell out of me.

As you say, at least in Skyrim they were listed in the Misc section of your journal, so you could basically ignore them. But in Fallout 4, Bethesda somehow managed to re-work the engine to list them as actual separately-listed quests, which initially fools you into thinking they're not radiant, even though they are.

Anyway, the reason why it bugs me so much is because, going back to Oblivion or even earlier, my main way of tackling a Bethesda RPG is to always do ALL the side quests first, then focus on the main quest line for the finale.
The problem with Fallout 4 and this playstyle is, if you forgo the main questline in favor of completing all the side quests, you'll literally be there forever, and you'll never get around to the main questline. Trying to complete all the side quests in Fallout 4 is a fool's errand, because it's not physically possible as they go on and on forever.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Willinium said:
I like to imagine that that there Sentry bot is just a modified Codsworth. No? Just me then?
Having the option to modify Codsworth into a Deathbot3000 to serve as the moddable robot in the DLC would actually help alleviate the companion congestion a bit, it's already pretty horrifically bad considering we can only have one companion at a time. I really hope they boost the companion cap a bit to deal with the fact that these DLC add companions or there won't be much point in getting them in the first place.

OT: Anyway, seriously? Can a fanbase possibly get more unpleasable? People are complaining that a season pass, which is already a massive deal and will cover these and every piece of DLC for Fallout 4 in the future jumps up in price a bit and still will be a massive deal when it's all said and done, which still has about 2 weeks to get the cheaper but no less capable version. Bethesda is simply properly rewarding loyalty and they consistently produce great games and great DLC actually worth the price, so unless over half the DLC they are going to make is crap and if any of this is as advertised it won't be and will even address several issues the fanbase is having with Fallout 4 itself everybody is getting a great deal unless they really don't like Fallout and Bethesda games enough in the first place not to like what these DLCs are. This is one of the few examples of DLC and Season Passes done right in the video game industry and people are screaming bloody murder anyway, it speaks to Bethesda's integrity that they even bother to try to give the fanbase exactly what they want when they clearly don't know what they want.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Hagi said:
Just another reason to wait for the Game of the Year / Ultimate / Whatever edition next year that'll have it all.

Plenty of great mods bound to be around by then as well.
I envy the people that have the self-control to do this.
Although to be honest from what I've just read on the upcoming dlc (on this site), it doesn't look appealing to me.

Building robots seems like a make your own companion thing, which doesn't appeal to me as I play solo because they stand in front of me in combat.

Settlements are annoying to maintain and the purpose of the second DLC seems completely dedicated to them.

It's a shame because I enjoyed the main game in 4 and 3/new vegas's DLCs. Might get the Maine one if it gets praised by the fans.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
erttheking said:

Don't buy it then.

If people don't voice their displeasure, then companies continue to believe there's a silent majority who simply don't care and will contentedly lap up whatever new money-making scheme they come up with.

As much as that may be disappointingly true, being vocal about how you won't spend money on something and why you won't is just about the only power that we, as consumers, actually have with regards to the video game industry. Considering the level of trust that publishers expect us to give them when they have repeatedly proven they're not deserving of it, and considering how little they have shown they care about actually providing the best product they can, it becomes more and more relevant every day for consumers to speak out against business practices they disagree with. Fallout 4 isn't a game that needed to make even more money and Bethesda aren't a company that are living paycheck to paycheck; it was a guaranteed success from the day it was announced, just like Skyrim.

The fact that they can so nonchalantly declare that their season pass is "worth" more than they initially estimated and then raise the price "accordingly" is just evidence of how little we actually matter to them. Personally, I don't think that's how things should be. I'm not asking them to consider me their personal friend or anything, but right now video game companies don't even have basic respect for the people they're selling their products to, and I just see that as being bad business.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So Bethesda is becoming more like 2K and Activision in how it handles post-launch content and DLC?

Good to know. I guess Doom will be the last Bethesda published game I buy for a while...

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Here's my issue with raising the price. Price should be determined by supply and demand. If demand outstrips supply, you raise the price to balance the two. If supply outstrips demand, you lower the price for the same reason.

However, the season pass is a digital good. In essence, the supply is unlimited. Sure, if the servers go offline, or they are ordered to pull it, then the supply vanishes, but the season pass will never be a limited supply.
Even digital goods are constrained by what the devs have time to make. They saw how popular fallout 4 was so they decide to make more and bigger dlc. Which means it will take them more time to make it. Ergo they need more money so they can all still get payed for that time. It?s just like paying for any service in a capitalistic society.