Bethesda Raising Fallout 4 DLC Season Pass Price and Details First Content

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
IceForce said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Bethesda games often have far more content than any but the most obsessive players will ever burn through entirely, so I really don't see the point in them. Sure, they extend the game indefinitely, but who is really going to complete every single quest, and why would such a person then bother with the radiant quests? If you've done everything then the paltry rewards wouldn't be much of a motivator, so if it's just more quests you're after, wouldn't you be better off just making a new character and starting again? Redoing all the quests would be far less repetitive than grinding an infinite steam of bland radiant ones.
They really don't do anything other than dilute the game and drag down the overall quality of quests.
Yup. From a completionist perspective, it's an absolute nightmare. At some point you just have to throw up your arms and say "Fuck you, Preston Garvey. The next settlement you mark on my map is also going to marked on your fucking face as well. I'mma go do some main quests instead of this shit."

It's a rather grating thing to have to do. Rather than neatly ticking off each quest and feeling like you're making progress, you instead feel like you're on a never-ending mousewheel or stuck in a rut. You're eventually forced to just say "Fuck it." and leave the quests sitting there incomplete.

Say what you will about Mass Effect 3, but that game handled questing perfectly in my opinion. Optional side quests would open up one by one as you progressed through the main quests. You could either do them as they came up, or ignore them and fail the quests, (ultimately leading to the 'bad' ending at the end of the game).
It encouraged players to do more 'completionist' runs of the game, because of the ending differences.

Bethesda on the other hand seem to be the complete opposite. They want people to get bored of the side quests (the radiant ones, at least) and deliberately leave them for something more interesting.
It's such a waste and an incredibly bad use of a game engine feature.
ME3 also had more interesting quests. The radiant ones don't really compare

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Well I'll be buying it.

But not from Steam.
And not for full price.

Cdkeys, where art thou?

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Frezzato said:
I'll just wait a year and get the whole thing plus DLC for less than $30.
I kept saying the same thing about the DLC for Skyrim, and I've yet to buy it. I just can't get over that the Skyrim Legendary edition with all of the DLC is cheaper than buying the DLC separately. During the last Steam sale, I was going to do it. I was going to buy the legendary edition so I would at least have a solo copy of Skyrim I could give away to someone. Instead I was told I would not receive another copy of Skyrim. GAH! So I still haven't bought the DLC.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
erttheking said:
Honestly that just infuriates me even more. Pressuring people into making a buy otherwise the price will double.
Did you actually read this article lad?
"Bethesda Game Studios has announced that they will be raising the price of the Season Pass for Fallout 4 from $29.99 to $49.99"

$60 is not the price of the season pass, it is the total cost of all the planned DLC. Before needlessly bitching be sure to make sure you get your numbers straight.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
kaizen2468 said:
I thought the point of a season pass was to get the DLC at a discounted price because you were paying for it up front? If they just raise the price to match the value then what is the point of paying for it up front?
I didn't realize that 50 and 60 were the same number.

Maybe you should try reading the article. If you did, you would have noticed the Pass is $50 and the DLCs will be $60. THe Pass saves people who get it later $10 and those that got it before March $30.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
demoman_chaos said:
erttheking said:
Honestly that just infuriates me even more. Pressuring people into making a buy otherwise the price will double.
Did you actually read this article lad?
"Bethesda Game Studios has announced that they will be raising the price of the Season Pass for Fallout 4 from $29.99 to $49.99"

$60 is not the price of the season pass, it is the total cost of all the planned DLC. Before needlessly bitching be sure to make sure you get your numbers straight.
My bad. I misread "Sixty dollar value." That's a mistake that's entirely on me.

I will gladly continue "Needlessly bitching" though, thank you very much. It being ten dollars less than I thought it was doesn't magically make things hunky dory for me.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Major_Tom said:
Congratulations, Bethesda! *party horn* You're now officially the new EA.
That's not totally fair. EA starts off with high prices. They don't set the prices low, then practically double them when it is convenient.
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, I think you're actually correct. At least in this regard, Bethesda is now WORSE than EA.
What a cocking disgrace. If I ever buy another one of their games (and this will probably happen, seeing how some of their games are pretty good), you can bet your ass I'll wait for the Final Edition with all the content in it.

Adam Jensen said:
erttheking said:
SIXTY!? SIXTY!? Are you as high as a fucking kite Bethesda?

I know that your DLC tends to be a cut above the rest Bethesda, but that is asking for a GIANT leap of faith.
Don't buy it then.

How is this an issue? It's like people keep forgetting what being a corporation is about. They exist to do one thing and one thing only - make more money. No one is demanding that you buy their products. Exercise some fuckin' restraint every once in a while and don't buy shit if you don't think the price is right.
To quote one of this site's former content producers:

"Companies exist to make money. They don't have to drag their slimy balls across your face while they're doing it."

Please, do excuse this corporate nonsense all you want, I have no problem with that. But don't arrogantly march in here and presume to tell the rest of us what to think or say about it.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
ravenshrike said:
Sassafrass said:
Well I'll be buying it.

But not from Steam.
And not for full price.

Cdkeys, where art thou?
Yes, because it was Steam that is responsible for the raising of the DLC cost. You remind me of those people who ***** about Amazon raising the cost of eBooks. Steam doesn't give a rat's ass how much content you release for what price(Actually, they would probably refuse if you were selling 100+GB downloads for 0.99) the just do one thing, act as a middleman to deliver said content with an entire support backend. Every other decision is in the hands of the publisher or developer.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I know Steam has literally bugger all to do with a price hike and this is all on Bethesda. I'm just saying that, for $60 (Or whatever the UK cost will be), I'd rather shop around and get it from a site that usually has cheaper deals for these kind of things in about 3 or 4 months time instead of paying the $60 Beth are asking going to be asking for through Steam.

Admittedly I said it in a way that makes me sound like a douchebag and made it sound like I was putting the blame for this on Steam's doorstep which wasn't my intention at all. :p

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
*sigh*

And there are people out there who can let this slide.
This is just a horrible practise.

If any other company did it it would raise a shitstorm. But no, it is Bethesda, they are the holy grail when it comes to gaming, so they gett a free pass.

/short rant

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Techland recently did this with Dying Light, increasing the cost of the SP before the launch of The Following because they felt the DLC outgrew the price they initially set for the SP. Now Bethesda is doing the same thing with FO4 and it's just as shitty.

Here's what we have, in a nutshell:

1. Season pass now on sale!

*Time passes*

2. Season pass price increasing due to our ambitious future plans, which we double-dog-pinky-swear are real and we're totally not making that up. Hurry up and get it cheap before it's too late!

Leads to:

Pre-order your season pass today to guarantee you ALL future content at the lowest price! With your pre-order, you'll receive:

* Two maps that we might design, which we're 62% certain won't be included in the cost of the standard season pass

* A pre-order exclusive character upgrade that we might implement into a bonus DLC if we decide an extra DLC is financially beneficial to us

* Access to a pre-order sub-forum in which you can freely bash the anti-capitalist fools who don't take advantage of this iconic season pass experience

This $34.99 pre-order is only available for the next six days, after which the normal price of $59.99 applies. We're fairly certain we'll make around $65 in content, so lock in your bargain today!

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
FogHornG36 said:
If you didn't like the game, that is fine, carry on, and stop wining about it when the dlc comes out.
I feel that this is bordering on outright mis representing what people are getting mad about. How many studios do you know of that can get away with making a DLC/Season pass that's almost as expensive as the game itself? To make it even better, it was on sale for CHEAPER and then they raised the price?

Let's swap our beloved Bethesda with some of the more vile studios we like EA and Activision and we won't have nearly as much hand waving as we do right now. Regardless of how good or bad the game actually is.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
...Fine, damn it. I'll buy it at 30, Bethesda.

I realize you're effectively holding a dollar-shaped gun to my head by doing this, but your track record for quality has been pretty good thus far.

So. Biting the bullet, I guess.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Wait so let me get this straight. Bethesda finishes a game, releases it and says "We don't know yet what DLC we're going to make but there will be some!" And gives players the option to pay for it up front.

Then they do announce their DLC plans, everybody who already paid gets more value for their money and they give you the chance to still get in on that if you find what they announced appealing. If not, you still don't have to pay for anything, or you can just buy the one thing you do like.

That they later raise the price to match the value later is not a very odd thing to do, especially not if they announce it in advance like here.

I legitimately can't see anything worth getting worked up about. Everybody has lots of options and nobody has to pay for anything they don't want. It really just seems like people are whining because they want to. I wonder what would have happened if Bethesda instead announced DLC three weeks after launch. Yep, you guessed it: people whining that it should have been in the original game.

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
Major_Tom said:
Congratulations, Bethesda! *party horn* You're now officially the new EA.
They haven't shoehorned in dumb multiplayer BS that TOTALLY DOESN'T AFFECT THE SINGLE PLAYER but actually does... So they're still one step above at the very least.