Bethesda Reveals The Evil Within

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
I was fairly sure that the reveal wouldn't be exceptional, but that was it?

What's the point of making a convoluted bunch of teasers, just to have another teaser on a new IP that we have no information about?

I hope they ream their PR department.
and how.

they had a wonderfully effective ad campaign going that allowed people's imaginations to do all the work more effectively than any amount of special effects and air time could...... then shat all over it with a trailer that somehow manages to shatter all mystery yet explain nothing. now all i know about the game is that the ridiculous gore reminds me of evil dead and someone is trying to rip-off pyramid head. really not the first impression you want for a horror game.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
cursedseishi said:
that's about as ignorant as one can be.
Yes that sums up this whole exchange.

Honestly I find myself wondering if you have actually read anything I have posted in this at all.

Under normal circumstances I would not give much merit to cut to the quick and just explain it, but honestly I have better things to do and I lack the patience to slog through it all.

So here.
1: Uhm? You are wrong. I most certainly did NOT bring up Mikami in my original post. That was a fabrication on your part. The only "mention" of Resident Evil in my OP was simply referencing a single piece of content in the doberman jump scare. That and that I played numbered installments 1-5(plus spin offs) was the entire extent of mention of RE in my OP. To suggest otherwise is again fabrication on your part. You then assume that because I was unimpressed with Bethesda announcing a new IP that it in any way shape or form mattered to me who was doing the work on it. Just because you might find that important does not mean anyone else does and did not make this person register as anything more than developer with a squiggly sounding name to me.

Yes, as you had already deduced what I was talking about was Call of C`thulu, which property agreements are moot to the context of what I had said. It is a perfectly good IP dying to be explored. I did not say they own the rights. I did not suggest anything other than it is an IP that needs PROPER treatment. Given Bethesdas past with the IP, and making a survival horror esque title its disappointing they would go with a new IP instead of trying to make a better offering than the last one they made with the C`thulu mythos. Again, anything more than that is fabrication on your part.

2:Did you come out and say I was wrong? No. What other purpose was there for you to quote asking what IP I was referring to and are already in the process of eliminating potential answers before you have even finished? You already had it made up in your mind what I was talking about, or else you would not have eliminated what was from Capcoms catalog. Only problem was that it became quickly apparent that your assumptions were way off base. Now on this hostility thing, you are seriously misinterpreting the intent. The purpose of that line was of a figure of speech. It was meant to convey what was occuring. Someone getting pissy despite not having a reason to because what they are getting pissy about isnt even real.

Now, I was never arguing. This was never a debate. I stated my opinion, and you felt compelled to chime in to "correct" it. Applying rules of debate does not turn someones opinion into a debate.

And here we are again back on this same point. I "mentioned" one scene in a resident evil game. You assume that was the IP I was referencing. I mean perhaps that would be a valid assumption if I had yanno referenced them within the same thought, but the mention of the RE franchise isnt even in the same paragraph of pointing to an established IP over creating a new one.

That has been the depth of this entire exchange between us. You started it off by making assumptions. As I cast doubt on your assumptions you have continued to layer more and more assumptions in response. So honestly this is the last fodder I give to make more misinterpretations based on assumptions on. So having explained fully what we both meant I am not going to continue to waste my, your, or the forums time trying to correct misunderstandings. None the less, I appreciate the discussion. I am at my end in this thread so best of luck and have a nice day.

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
I've lost about 99% interest in games in general, but this may be worth holding onto the 360 for, a good lights off all nighter run through. And it's Bethesda so I'm happy, the only thing they screwed up was Brink but this should be good.

I just reeeeally really hope they don't fuck it and give the player character super powers or heavy weaponry, since that kills horror games instantly. The reason Condemned and Amensia were so good is because you only had a blunt object or nothing at all, the reason Dead Space or Fear doesnt look scary at all is because you have powers and heavy weapons out the wazoo.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
As big of a horror fan as I am, that didn't catch my interest. Maybe if I knew what the game is supposed to be about, besides possibly a barbed wire craftmaking simulator, I'd care more.
Also, Safe Head looks kind of silly.
If it looks good once they release more information, then I'll be interested, but this hasn't really caught my attention.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I'm actually really excited for this game. I kinda wish it was Fallout 4 but hopefully bethesda themselves are working on that.

I'm always up for a haunted house and a good scare.
I agree. Its cool to see them working on something while ESO is being made. THough I think that is being done by Zenimax.

Fallout 4 should be interesting. I hope either that they are working on it like you said, or they gave it to Obsidian. But I can't see Obsidian doing it right now with Project Eternity and Avellone now involved in Torment: Tides of Numenera. Has Bethesda ever made a horror game?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
okay, that's cool. under one condition only...

mr. resident evil creator, if you plan on including gun combat, PLEASE don't use the RE style controls. believe it or not, a lot of games these days allow you to move AND shoot... AT THE SAME TIME!!! MINDFREAK!

OT: I hope this game isn't going to go the Dead Space route of "gross out horror" where the only horror is just blood and guts n' whatnot. The trailer was sort of a mix between "grotesque, Lovecraftian horror" and just plain "gross out horror", so it should be interesting to see where they officially go with it.

The statement "My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action" makes me simultaneously roll my eyes and shake my head, as it just shows how much PR blathering developers do nowadays. I expect either the action part or the horror part of this game to suck. Every game must be a "blend" of "x and action", as if horror itself can't keep the audience entertained. Depending on the gameplay mechanics, I may just be jaded enough to brush this off.

Of course I am being extremely cynical. The slightly not-jaded part of me is intrigued at this. Could be interesting, and it's always nice to get a new IP out in this industry.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Ugh... How incredibly, mediocre looking.

At least show what the in-game graphics look like. Otherwise it just looks like a generic horror mash up video.

Also, has one of the youtube comments points out:

Isn't Evil Within pretty close to the same thing as Resident Evil?

Captcha: that's hot.... Apparently the Captcha is a sadist now.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I don't have sound on this computer at the moment, so I couldn't hear anything, but im imagining it as a NIN music video.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Let's see. Overexposed camera, check. Dimly lit abandoned locale, check. Wheelchair, check. Visual and audio cues referring to the 1920-1950 period, check. Torture instruments, check. Skulls, check. Jump scare, check. Barbed wire, check. Butcher figure, check. Body horror, check. Massive amounts of blood, check. Mutilated corpses, check. Always more body horror, check. Incomprehensible plot, check.

Wow, this trailer has so many movie references I actually can't even begin to list them all. It's like a distilled, hyperfocused zeitgeist of the horror movie genre of the past 10-13 years.

I get the feeling it's going to be disappointingly underwhelming.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Oh, my lord this is fucked up. I love fucked up shit. I can't wait to piss my pants then want to re-piss them for sake of getting a second split-second look at the messed up imagery. I watched the trailer twice, as you probably guessed. Haha.

I need to get a new Internet alias: "Safe-face". That dude is COOL.

Nah, fuck that. I'd rather be obscure to those not members of my fandom.

EDIT: watched the trailer again. Officially in love with Blood-spider-girl, now, too. AND the owl which flashes on the scream...that really happened- SCREEN for about half a second.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Well that was a bit creepy. I'm not really into the survival horror genre as I'm far too much of a wuss and get scared quite easily, but this at least looks interesting. Going to have to see some gameplay of course, but I liked this trailer.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
A new IP, sewed together from the remains of countless others before it, brought unnaturally to life. No soul, just a horrid imitation.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
15 seconds in this trailer has won some of my approval by using Air on the G String. 5 seconds later, my approval has been lost. Why did they cut it out D:<? Anyhow, the monsters look interesting but the 'villain' was a tad too generic for me. Close-ups of someone making barbed-wire isn't what comes to mind when I think of a horror-game antagonist. Doesn't help that the trailer is standard horror-fare with quick cuts to low-lit and shocking images. Doesn't help either that it's live-action.
rapidoud said:
Sounds Baroque.

I know that piece, and I think it may be a Haydn one? Either way, Harpsichord strongly hints at it.

Although why the hell Baroque? 16th-17th century is an odd time to have your music from.
Baroque indeed. Air on the G string, an arrangement of the 2nd movement from Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major by August Wilhelmj.

And why Baroque you may ask? Well, first off Japan loves using classical music -excuse my liberal use of classical in his context- in media, particularly in a contrapuntal manner. This song is often used, probably because it's so damn beautiful This same song plays during an anime character's horrific last stand.

Props to you for recognizing which time period it's from just by listening to it. That's really impressive!

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Wow... the was... That irritated me like an announcement from EA. I mean I'm left sitting here thinking: "What? Seriously?" I shouldn't feel that way when Bethesda makes an announcement or launches an add for something, let alone new IP. WTF is going on here? Man... Whoever saw that trailer at the big board meeting and sprung up announcing: "That! That's the one guys! That's gonna sell it right over the edge!" That fellow is a serious risk to the employee insurance fund. He or she is surely going to the loony bin one day, because releasing that was crazy. Crazy in a BAD WAY.

If the game's only half as bad as the add campaign for it's been it'll be terrible. PLEASE make better adds. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd say it...

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
That trailer was absolute rubbish but Shinji Mikami has a good record, with his work on the better Resident Evil games, as well as pretty good games like Shadows of the Damned and God Hand. I'm interested to see what will come of this.