Bethesda Sometimes Doesn't Fix Entertaining Bugs

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Bethesda's Todd Howard says that the studio doesn't fix every bug that it finds.
No shit Todd. Now tell me the one about how the sky is blue and healthy grass is green.

Better yet, try fixing at least some of the bugs that you find.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Halo: CE had numerous bugs, especially in Multiplayer, but that what made the game awesome.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pretty sure nobody expected Skyrim to be bug-free...

008Zulu said:
I'd be happy if they fixed the goddamn random crashing to the desktop bug that appears to have been present since Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and presumably Fallout New Vegas. Never played it, the reported issues solved that dilemma for me.
Because of this.

I mean, I doubt anyone minds a funny, harmless glitch, but there are some longstanding, persistent glitches that are serious.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Hot Damn! I just keep liking this game more and more!!!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't have a huge problem with this, though I'd certainly appreciate some examples of what Bethesda terms a "fun bug". If having a dead boar clip a little bit through the terrain leaves more time to track down a bug that makes the player character fall through the floor during the tutorial mission, I'll certainly take the clipping boar. Testing big open-world games isn't easy, no question.

Though I do wish that Obsidian would take a little more time on the QA aspects of their games, as it seems like it keeps biting them in the butt.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I mean, I doubt anyone minds a funny, harmless glitch, but there are some longstanding, persistent glitches that are serious.
I doubt any of Bethesda's "programmers" know how to fix this issue.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Was anyone really expecting the game to be bug free in the first place. Bethesda may not be as bad as Obsidian, but they're far, far from perfect about this.

But really, Bethesda? If there's a bug in your game, that shit needs to be fixed. Logan's right, just because the problem doesn't break the game doesn't mean it has no effect.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
There really aren't any amusing bugs. There are funny Glitches but bugs aren't funny. A glitch is something that happens when a player actively seeks it out. Like the wanking-glitch in Bioshock. A bug is VITAL QUEST GIVERS disappearing in New Vegas.

To me an RPG is about immersion. I wanna feel like I am the stall ward knight! The rugged wastelander! A cute Kitty!

What I don't want is characters getting stuck in fucking doors or heads spinning around. It might be fun but unless it fits the situation perfectly. It´s gonna propel me straight out of the game back in my armchair from which I play games, where I'm just a lowly human, one of many grinding gears in our civilization rather than a wielder of powerful magics and hero of the land.

Like the head spin happening right after you wake up from a bullet to the frontal lobe in New Vegas. The funny thing is that this bug got fixed whilst it actually made the game allot better. So yeah I'm not trusting your beta testing team with making the correct decision on what improves the game.

There is a difference between "Funny bug", "We honestly missed something" and "We didn't finish on time".

This sounds like "We didn't finish on time" with a nice bit of marketing blurb, but here is a better question from me.

What if your customers unanimously decide that the bug that makes all the dragons invisible isn't all that funny. Will you fix it? Or will you do it the old fashioned way of "You no likey, screw you I gotz your moneyz".

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So the fact that the Shalebridge location in Fallout 3 is very buggy and will often crash the game with little provocation was deliberate?

Because, you know, it's full of bugs. Like, actual bugs, such as ants. The wiki page on the Vault originally described it as 'very buggy (no pun intended)'. If that's not entertaining I don't know what is.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
werty10089 said:
I'm okay with bugs as long as they're pretty. Maybe a ladybug. I like those.
But not MOTHERFUCKING CAZADORS!
Also known as "oh a pretty butterfl--OH GOD MY ORGANS, WHY THE PAIN!!"

RobfromtheGulag said:
I really hope the gymnastic scorpions were not considered 'entertaining'.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8268-Critical-Miss-Fear-and-Loathing-in-New-Vegas
Few things ruin immersion faster than that.
I think they're due to the "Wild west" perk ? But I may be confused. F:NV definitely had its share of bugs with those radscorpions ro cazadors stucked inside rocks though.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
What the crap does that mean!? Entertaining!? I know some people on Myst Online have found some entertaining bugs...issues with collision on the maps. They use them to climb on top of things and float in the middle of the air. I hate those people. It shatters immersion.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I doubt any of Bethesda's "programmers" know how to fix this issue.
TBH, I'm not sure it matters. We, as the gaming community, have demonstrated we'll buy the games anyway.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Nooners said:
I hope ChromaticWolfen won't mind if I repost this story of his.n This is the sort of bug to keep around:

ChromaticWolfen said:
Oblivion, I will set the scene. My Orc character was causally walking through the Imperial City when I was attacked by those Mythic Dawn assassins. That part is obliviously scripted. What happened next is the best thing. Two guards attack the assassin with broadswords and begin killing him. After a few swings the assassin is dead but one guard swiped his sword one more time and hit the other guard. For some odd reason the guard must have thought the other guard was attacking him so he fought back. Soon enough it turned into a street brawl were over 12 guards were fighting each other, 6 on each side. After about 10 minutes of fighting on side eventually won with one guard left alive. The best thing was that after the fight the one guard left looks around and says "Theres been a murder here". Never laughed so hard.
And due to this, I forgive the broken and immersion-breaking AI in the game. That's just too funny!
I had totally forgotten about that. I hope the same type of thing happens in Skyrim. But with dragons.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
If they had provided some concrete examples in their PR statement, I'd be more reassured.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
It's honestly part of playing a Bethseda game.

Just remember to save often, and when something clips into a wall just sit back say, "Oh Bethy"

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
My first thought when I read this was as follows:

'To be fair, it's Bethesda, their QA department consists of about three guys most of whom are drunk.... I suppose that's why they thought this was a good idea?'

My second thought:

'But hang on they're also drunk enough to admit it? Oh dear... This explains so much, like the leaning on the '0' key in Op:An, or the quad-core 'fix' for Fallout 3 having to be done manually rather than automatically by the install script, or....'

The train of thought continued thusly.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
ChromaticWolfen said:
Nooners said:
I hope ChromaticWolfen won't mind if I repost this story of his.n This is the sort of bug to keep around:

ChromaticWolfen said:
Oblivion, I will set the scene. My Orc character was causally walking through the Imperial City when I was attacked by those Mythic Dawn assassins. That part is obliviously scripted. What happened next is the best thing. Two guards attack the assassin with broadswords and begin killing him. After a few swings the assassin is dead but one guard swiped his sword one more time and hit the other guard. For some odd reason the guard must have thought the other guard was attacking him so he fought back. Soon enough it turned into a street brawl were over 12 guards were fighting each other, 6 on each side. After about 10 minutes of fighting on side eventually won with one guard left alive. The best thing was that after the fight the one guard left looks around and says "Theres been a murder here". Never laughed so hard.
And due to this, I forgive the broken and immersion-breaking AI in the game. That's just too funny!
I had totally forgotten about that. I hope the same type of thing happens in Skyrim. But with dragons.
One thing I LOVED to do, as the mage/fighter's guild leader, was take a potshot at a guard and flee onto guild grounds. Next thing you know, my guilds (and random npcs allied with them) are fighting the guards and the entire city I'm in has been turned into a warzone :D

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
TBH, I'm not sure it matters. We, as the gaming community, have demonstrated we'll buy the games anyway.
Maybe the sheep will buy it, but I didn't buy New Vegas because of all the woes it has. If it (Skyrim) does have the same CTD bug as its predecessors, then I won't buy it either. Any other bug I am not that concerned about, since it will be more reliably patched by the modding community.

pelao_larc

Nov 17, 2009
Yeah, because Bloodgrass Glitch was hilarious ¬¬ I just got rid of my Oblivion 5th Anniversary for PS3 this Tuesday because of that damn bug. Which is a shame because I loved Oblivion on PC, but after I lost my copy I obtained the PS3 version and was just a bunch of Glitches. The moral of the story is "Don't buy Bethesda games on consoles" There are no unofficial patches or console commands to fix what this guys screwed up.