Bethesda Sometimes Doesn't Fix Entertaining Bugs

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
008Zulu said:
I'd be happy if they fixed the goddamn random crashing to the desktop bug that appears to have been present since Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and presumably Fallout New Vegas. Never played it, the reported issues solved that dilemma for me.
Its fun for them.
After the crash, they can laugh how much time you wasted doing nothing

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I'm fine with entertaining bugs, though this does seem to contradict all Bethesda has been telling us about trying to make Skyrim their most immersive game yet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Like when the slaughterfish in morrowind would appear on land sometimes? Or when cliff racers just got stuck on geometry?

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
There better be cheat codes to offset the glitches that made oblivion fun.

Oh cheat codes, you were so much better than the achievements that took you away from us.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
You know, there is something to this. There's one glitch that immediately comes to mind that I would NEVER get rid of.

Godspeed space-frog. Godspeed.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I hope ChromaticWolfen won't mind if I repost this story of his.n This is the sort of bug to keep around:

ChromaticWolfen said:
Oblivion, I will set the scene. My Orc character was causally walking through the Imperial City when I was attacked by those Mythic Dawn assassins. That part is obliviously scripted. What happened next is the best thing. Two guards attack the assassin with broadswords and begin killing him. After a few swings the assassin is dead but one guard swiped his sword one more time and hit the other guard. For some odd reason the guard must have thought the other guard was attacking him so he fought back. Soon enough it turned into a street brawl were over 12 guards were fighting each other, 6 on each side. After about 10 minutes of fighting on side eventually won with one guard left alive. The best thing was that after the fight the one guard left looks around and says "Theres been a murder here". Never laughed so hard.
And due to this, I forgive the broken and immersion-breaking AI in the game. That's just too funny!

Sep 9, 2007
ProfessorLayton said:
It seems like this is more of a "We couldn't fix all of the bugs, so let's just say we did it on purpose."

But I dunno if it's the best idea for a company with a buggy history to admit, before their next huge games out, that their next huge game will be buggy as well.
At least they're being honest.

This bit about "entertaining" bugs being left in strikes me as a bit weird, though. What might be entertaining for the dev team/bug testers could be incredibly frustrating for the people that play it. Some examples of the "entertaining" bugs in their previous games would be nice.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm totally glad for the little AI glitches in Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Not so glad about all the crashing before the first few patches.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Whaaaaaaat?

I was under the impression that Bethesda made notoriously bug-free games! My whole world is...is crushed...

But really, it's one thing to do something like this -- I know you can't fix all bugs in a huge AAA title. I'm not stupid and I'm a programmer, so I get it. Still, it's another thing entirely to not only admit that to your eagerly awaiting fans AND justify it as though it's cool that you're leaving in known bugs by choice. That's just bad PR.

We do care about this. Seeing people fly through the sky instead of birds in an otherwise immersive game kinda breaks it for me. I'm obviously looking at you, RDR.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
That's not a bug. It's a feature.

I'd assume that the "entertaining" bugs would be things like deadly enemies spontaneously combusting if you happen to run them through a specific set of traps, or getting an end reward 50 times for doing a quest, or somebody's clothing suddenly vanishing for no apparent reason.

Most games have harmless bugs like these, and it always feels kind of malicious when the devs insist on "fixing" them so you can't, say, level your baby character to OVER 9000! in 30 seconds or skip a bunch of annoying fights by using the rocket launcher to propel yourself into the third-story window. No, dammit, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE THE GAME THE WAY WE SCRIPTED IT!!!

Whatever.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Olrod said:
Are there any of these "amusing" bugs that have already been discovered?
Probably nothing announced in Skyrim yet.

In Morrowind, Crassius Curio (link [http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Crassius_Curio]) was originally supposed to just deliver his creepy dialog to female characters, but a bug made it affect both female and male characters. It was much funnier with the bug so they left it.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
In working for a software dev... this just sounds like any other day for me.
"Ok we fixed all the severity 1 and 2 bugs." (Bugs that kill functionality)
"What about the hundreds of 3s and 4s?" (Cosmetic or minor errors.)
"Are they 1s and 2s?"

P.S. I work in educational software. Your children have a bright future.

cursedmoon13

Jul 12, 2010
It's a fantasy game, so it doesn't break immersion if you just explain it with magic! You fell through the world because there was a glamered portal to nowhere, those people flying in the sky are using levitation magic, the paintbrushes are enchanted, etc.

Of course, even if your game froze up because of a random temporal stasis field you'd still feel the same rage.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I loved some of the bugs in Oblivion. The one that kept Jauffres body from disappearing was perfect. On my account, he died at the great gate, so I could come back later and make a memorial.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
ultimateownage said:
I wish Rockstar took this approach with Red Dead Redemption. Those bugs were fucking hilarious.
I agree, especially the superman bug. It wasn't even harmful to normal gameplay.

It just sent you skydiving if you popped in and out of cover at a specific location where you'd never use cover anyway.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
What an expected and typical statement from Bethesda. It's not even like they fix their gamebreaking bugs. I'm honestly surprised they can use "bug" and "fix" in the same sentence, since they are more than willing to just not bother fixing bugs and let the modding community do it for them. Why should they bother fixing bugs when they can have the community do their job for them, amirite?

What a pathetic fucking developer: they're one of the single most overrated, under-talented, hack developers on the market. If there is a single developer that deserves NONE of the fame and renown they have, it would be Bethesda.