Bethesda Wants Skyrim Mods on Consoles

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
newwiseman said:
But, If they're successful in this venture, how will they make money off of Horse Armor?

I've speculated on this possibility before the problem is how do you do it in a way MS and Sony will be OK with. Most likely it would mean someone hosting a server, or some sort of proxy server, that would handle connections based on account and then allow the add-on to be downloaded and installed.

MS or Sony will never give a direct dump path because of the ease that would allow for the system to be very easily software cracked to run something else like, God Forbid, pirated games.

I'll just keep playing it on my PC where it belongs, in Higher resolution than possible on consoles, with textures that rival real life, and all the polygonal nudity anyone could ever stomach; yet still using an xbox controller FTW.
I play on PC with mods and still buy all the DLC they make for their games so I would guess it would be the same for most console players. My main concern would be mods like increased spawns or stuff like Enclave commander for F03 would stress the consoles to much so there would have to be a testing process by Bethesda which is going to cost them even more money.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
newwiseman said:
But, If they're successful in this venture, how will they make money off of Horse Armor?
They just restrict the level of modding you can do, which isn't really modding.

I suspect such a venture would just end up as a glorified level editor.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Astalano said:
newwiseman said:
They just restrict the level of modding you can do, which isn't really modding.

I suspect such a venture would just end up as a glorified level editor.
What he seems to be talking about is not modding on the console but letting the PC mods be installed on consoles.

mplantinga

Feb 23, 2010
I know I've loved mods on the PC, so I can see the desire to get them onto the consoles. I worry, however, about how they would change the experience for console users. One of the well known problems with mods is that they often conflict, both with each other and with their parent games. When playing on the PC, users have access to the console, which can sometimes provide a work-around for otherwise game-breaking bugs. I worry about the frustration level involved when dealing with mods but having fewer ways to deal with the inevitable problems.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
snfonseka said:
Sounds good. Bur the problem is, whether there is a modding community for consoles?
Its already there, PC mods already exist and from what he is saying should be directly compatible with the console version of the game. Other than hardware restrictions on some mods which even PC users see they should be able to play most of them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Dora said:
Yes, please. I modded the heck out of Oblivion, and it really made it so I was never bored with it. Naturally there's a lot of, uh, special interest... fleshy... mods, but there were actually rather a lot of high quality quest and companion mods out there that I felt really broadened the experience. I was thinking of getting Skyrim for the PS3 (after years of being a PC gamer primarily, I'm sick of constantly updating my hardware for newer games), and if they could make this work somehow it would seal the deal for me.
I should warn you, after playing 3 bethesda games on my PS3, I?m dedicated to getting this next one for the PC. The PS3 version of any Bethesda game is sure to get the worst support if not complete neglect. Fallout New Vegas was the last straw: half a year, a few patches, and the game is still a mess. I know Skyrim will have a whole new engine but to me that just means they have a whole new engine to work the bugs out of.
Besides the gameplay mods, I want the pc version for the user made patches which always seem to be better than the official ones.

At this point I?d rather keep upgrading my pc rather than continuing to buy games that don?t work.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
im wondering if they let mods go on if they are going to need to have an app store process of checking the mods for content, right now its all on the hosting sites that they need to check the mods to see that they are nod adding skins/models/music from other games or movies.

As much as i would love to see this, i wory that sony and ms might not see this in their interest, you know, if there is free new content for a game you already own, why are you going to go back to being mindless sheep and buying the next big pos just because you are board

i also think that with children, they might end up ruining their gaming experience by downloading mods that make you godly, they will see no challenge and just beat the game and then go back to halo.

one last thing, i have downloaded my fair share of mods that just crash the game, as well as mods to make all the textures high def, i can just see people downloading them, and then getting confused why it slows their console down.

B-rad747

Mar 1, 2011
This sounds too good to be true. I remember modding morrowind and oblivion and having a blast. The problem is my computer could barley handle oblivion at the lowest settings (I think I played most of the game in slow motion). I hope microsoft and sony allow this great feature to come to the consoles without too much fuss.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Transfer the mod into a DLC pack (free or a really small price). Then you can have to the option to turn them on/off as you wish.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
If they can do this, maybe they can release the game without it being bugged as all hell and crashing constantly as well?

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I'd love to see this happen, but even if Microsoft allows it (which I don't think they will) we will probably only get a select few mods that have been tested rather than unrestricted access to anything and everything that people have thrown together.

The thing with mods is that they can fundamentally change a game, they can introduce bugs, incompatibilities and break the game. On a pc a lot of bugs can be dealt with fairly easily, console gamers can't do the same thing. Existing DLC is pretty much idiot proof and tested, mods are more of a use at your own risk thing. It's probably more hassle than it's worth too bring to consoles, but I appriciate Bethesda trying.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Every time there's a story about Skyrim, the title alone makes my chest heave with paroxysms of excitement. I cannot wait for this to come out. I'm getting a job this summer almost exclusively so I can pay for it.