Bethesda Wants Skyrim Mods on Consoles

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
AC10 said:
I somehow feel like 90% is a drastic overstatement...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/10/oblivion-records-record-sales-1-7-million-and-climbing/

The game only has 1 million 360 sales and 2 million PS3 sales to date (on vgchartz anyways, which doesn't have PC data).

So by their calculations the PC version only sold 333,333 copies? Despite topping the charts at release? Despite me going to 5 game stores and having every PC copy (but one collectors I finally found) sold out?

I like that they're bringing mods to consoles, but why do they have to downplay their immense PC fanbase?
While I don't disagree with your point, at all, it's worth noting that vgchartz shows that the combined Xbox/PS sales amount to roughly 5.3 million (with the Xbox having sold a greater number), which would mean that the PC version only did somewhere around 500k versus 300k.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=Oblivion

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Bethesda, have i told you how much i love you lately? Well, i do.

i bought a computer version of oblivion just for the mods, and it was great trying to make my own, unfortunately my computer could only run oblivion if i turned all the settings all the way down and found mods that decreased how much it took to run the game. if i could make a mod on my computer and then play it on my xbox, that would be the best thing ever!

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
Wouldn't say script extenders (Like OBSE) be unavailable to console owners since its not a plugin, in turn making a majority of the mods useless. Its nice to have some connection with the console folks though.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
I would forever be in love with Bethesda, even if I always fail at pronouncing its name correctly.

If Microsoft messes this up like they do with Valve time and time again, I will be severely disappointed.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Yay, finally! My computer (I have two, mine and 'the families') is too bad to get Oblivion on it, whilst I am only allowed a certain amount of memory on the family one (currently taken up with World of Tanks, MineCraft (YAY 1.5!), AoE III and all expansions, Rome Total War and Halo CE) is about able to get Oblivion and MineCraft in it, nothing else...

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
AC10 said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/10/oblivion-records-record-sales-1-7-million-and-climbing/

The game only has 1 million 360 sales and 2 million PS3 sales to date (on vgchartz anyways, which doesn't have PC data).

So by their calculations the PC version only sold 333,333 copies? Despite topping the charts at release? Despite me going to 5 game stores and having every PC copy (but one collectors I finally found) sold out?
I'm also very curious about this 90% figure. Can someone confirm if this is accurate? Because if it is true, I will become very, very afraid.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Aphroditty said:
AC10 said:

I like that they're bringing mods to consoles, but why do they have to downplay their immense PC fanbase?
While I don't disagree with your point, at all, it's worth noting that vgchartz shows that the combined Xbox/PS sales amount to roughly 5.3 million (with the Xbox having sold a greater number), which would mean that the PC version only did somewhere around 500k versus 300k.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=Oblivion
That would be possible I suppose. It still seems low to me, but I guess without actual figures we can't know.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh no they wont, you think Microsoft and Sony will let you update for free... when hell freezes over and Kotick grows some angel wings, either these things will cost Bethesda or they will cost gamers, but someone will be paying those XBL/PSN fees.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Not.going.to.happen. - There are more obstacles(content- and tech wise) in the way than you can even imagine. It'd be nice, sure, but it's still just a dream.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
DO IT. DO IT NOW! Maybe a little sharing every once in a while will get people to STFU about whether PCs or Consoles or better. If they did the same thing we wouldn't be spending billions of dollars on cloning this particular dead horse only to murder it in increasingly mundane and brain cell draining ways. It's like we're lab scientists doing redundant testing to canonize our theory that if you give people an apple and an orange which are used for the same thing (allusion to gaming) but are not quite the same thing but close enough to compare (we eat both an apple and an orange but they taste different; we play both on pcs and consoles but one is for other things besides gaming) people will argue until DOOMSDAY over which is better even though it's a matter of taste.

Okay I took a deep breath. I'm better now. Seriously, though, I would appreciate it if mods could be brought to the console world. More of this, please. I don't care if it's ready or not by Skyrim but keep on this discussion with the internet providers.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Modding was why I bought TES4 and FO3 for PC. If they can actually do this, I will send them a letter stating I will never say a bad thing about them for the next five years, even if they cock everything up at some point immediately fallowing the send of said letter. Actually I plan on writing that letter once Brink comes out...

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Perhaps this will better streamline the process for installing mods making them a lot more compatible with each other.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Astalano said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
Astalano said:
newwiseman said:
But, If they're successful in this venture, how will they make money off of Horse Armor?
They just restrict the level of modding you can do, which isn't really modding.

I suspect such a venture would just end up as a glorified level editor.
What he seems to be talking about is not modding on the console but letting the PC mods be installed on consoles.
That's bullshit. So, the PC modders do all the work so some console guys get their free downloads?

Plus, would that even work? I doubt the PC and console versions are exactly the same.
And you believe all PC Gamers actually contribute to the modding community, and somewhat are entitled to receive said mods?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
This is an excellent idea! I'm betting they won't have much problem getting this going on PS3 luckily, I look forward to playing it!