Bethesda Working on Two Games at Once, Says Producer

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Nimzar said:
If it turns out to be TES:V I have only one thing to say:

About damn time.
Well sence Oblivion was released 2006 and Morrowind was released 2002, they would be just on schedule.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
I never really liked anything that has come from Besthesda yet, but hope springs eternal. Cross your fingers everyone.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
DaxStrife said:
I like the idea of the modified F3 engine (which was built on the Obsidian engine). It'll save time from making a new complicated graphics engine and allow them to focus on making the game part of the game. Isn't that we used to do in the days of the Quake 2 and Unreal engine? Just keep tweaking an original system until we maxed it out so we wouldn't waste development time and money making new shiny engines for one game?
Yeah, check out this map of engines and games based on good old Quake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quake_-_family_tree.svg

Hopefully they've improved the engine used in FO3 and made it perfect for (hopefully) TES:IV. I mean, the distant trees in Oblivion look a bit dull by today's standards. FO3 looked great at distance, but it was all a bit grey and dull, so we'll have to see how much better the Elder Scrolls universe can get.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
THE FALLOUT SCROLLS !!! GUNS AND MAGIC !!!!

In fact that would be Arcanum, i hope someone retakes the universe of Arcanum someday !

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Zhukov said:
Waitwaitwait...

Bethesda made Wet?
Nope. They just published it.

As long as one of those is TES V, I'm... hmm. Sorry, there's not a word for that amount of happiness I believe... Suffice to say I'd jump out of my skin and need many, many changes of underwear.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
jez29 said:
The way I see it isn't necessarily a question of game mechanics: good game designers should be able to mould TES levelling system into a workable MMO model.

I'm afraid I may have to get a little pretentious now - the issue I have is that the core experience, the feel, or the vibe of an Elder Scrolls game doesn't traslate easily into a massively multiplayer setting. I loved the loneliness of Morrowind (a better experience than Oblivion in my opinion, but it applies in both games), the experience of just wandering this world for miles on end, especially somewhere as hostile as, say, Solstheim in the Bloodmoon expansion or the blighted wasteland around the Dagoth Ur volcano. In a storytelling experience (which admittedly is quite loose in a open-world game like this), the adventure seemed more about the hero struggling on his own rather than teaming up to beat people and thus seemed more heroic for it. Morrowind gave me one of the most profound experiences that any game has done (and I've played far too many), but I feel that this would have been undermined by having other groups of heroes cross my path. Its something of an issue with most MMOs, where everyone has to be a hero, but I feel that TES is a quieter, more individual experience than something loud and brash (in a good way) like WoW or the upcoming TOR. Obviously the whole thing is hypothetical and I've been surprised by game designers before, so if the new game is a TES MMO, I definitely won't dismiss it out of hand and I'd certainly be interested.

I'm not sure if I've explained myself brilliantly, but I'd need years to do that and you'd have to have endless patience to read the eventual post. Anyway, essay over. Congratulations if you made it all the way through!
I made it!

But seriously, I concur 100% with your stance and have always felt that the charm of Morrowind and Oblivion was that it was an independent experience. I find the idea of many heroes in place of NPCs alone does not flow with the TES games because your influence loses its significance. Your role would feel less unique, even if you choose to ignore the storyline and roleplay along your own path because you are not the only "human" in the game now.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
AARRRGGH!
I want it to be a new Elder Scrolls title so much!
But seeing how I am broke and my PS3 is too I will have to wait to buy it, meaning I might have to wait after it is released!

I don't have the willpower to stay pure while it is out!

But gosh gollicky gee willickers green tangerenes holy batnipples batman I am excited about a new Eldar scrolls, I would probably enjoy it if there was nothing else except a stick in the box which said "sword" in crayon on it.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
I feel like I can't really trust Bethesda...

Will they be doing a Morrowind or an Oblivion?
Morrowind with Mount and Blade combat system please. Not that anyone's listening.
This man is a genius. I vote yes. Add back some Daggerfall sized labyrinths, a dash of random generation for wilderness areas, sensible scaling, plus some actual lore, and Bethesda has another winner in my book. I pray that Oblivion was just a hiccup.

With my luck, all the complaints about shoddy animation became their main focus. Why give a damn? Having tight animations and ladders isn't really going to perfect things. I'd prefer they return to their roots first.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Chal said:
This man is a genius. I vote yes. Add back some Daggerfall sized labyrinths, a dash of random generation for wilderness areas, sensible scaling, plus some actual lore, and Bethesda has another winner in my book. I pray that Oblivion was just a hiccup.

With my luck, all the complaints about shoddy animation became their main focus. Why give a damn? Having tight animations and ladders isn't really going to perfect things. I'd prefer they return to their roots first.
I've never understood why people complain about Oblivion's animations. Of all the things that are blatantly wrong with Oblivion (leveling everything poorly, redundant wilderness and dungeons, oversimplifying everything, ect.), it just seems petty. I hope they go more in the Morrowind direction, particularly so it feels like being high in a skill matters.

RAMBO22

Jul 7, 2009
If the aforementioned game is TES V, I would be the happiest man alive today. Bethesda, you have ignored the Scrolls for too long with all this Fallout nonsense (jk they're actually superb games), it's time for TES V to come out.

If there is any justice in the world it will be TES V: Skyrim!

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Chal said:

I've never understood why people complain about Oblivion's animations. Of all the things that are blatantly wrong with Oblivion (leveling everything poorly, redundant wilderness and dungeons, oversimplifying everything, ect.), it just seems petty. I hope they go more in the Morrowind direction, particularly so it feels like being high in a skill matters.
That's exactly what I'm getting at. Oblivion felt like a step down in so many directions, but the complaints are about how it looks? Whenever I see a thread on graphics vs gameplay, people overwhelming vote for the latter, but I consistently fail to see this value represented in any other topic that comes up.

I really wish game developers weren't so pressured into having games look right instead of feeling right. Morrowind was overflowing with atmosphere. I count it among my all-time favorites, animations/combat be damned. It was fun to explore and had depth to it. I'm not sure if Bethesda can pull it off again, but I'll be eagerly awaiting their new titles nonetheless.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Fallout 3 solved both the problems of Oblivion, copy-pasted dungeons and environments, and level scaling. It also had tons of quests and interesting locations, so I have high hopes for TES V, which I think will be coming out either in december, or early next year.