Big Fallout: New Vegas Patch Coming Soon

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Big Fallout: New Vegas Patch Coming Soon

Relief is on its way for the bug-addled reaches of Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1289244313&sr=1-1], but players will need to hold out for a few more weeks.

Saying that Fallout: New Vegas has a few bugs and glitches in it is about the same level of understatement as saying the ocean is a little damp. The glitches range from fairly trivial concerns like enemies getting stuck in walls, to more severe and aggravating bugs, like the game corrupting save files. There's no immediate relief in sight, but Bethesda says that it is working on getting these issues resolved.

Writing on its official blog [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/11/05/more-news-on-new-vegas-updates/], Bethesda says that it is working on a "comprehensive" patch for the Xbox 360, PC, and PS3. The patch will fix a number of problems, including the issue on the Xbox 360 where would eat player's saves. The patch is apparently in the final stages of testing and certification, meaning that it should be available in the next few weeks. In the meantime, Bethesda will release a patch for the PC version of New Vegas which should solve problems with companions and save game corruption, as well as improving performance with NVIDIA users and resolving issues with the game's physics engine. This patch should be available by early next week.

Obsidian, the developer behind New Vegas, made the case [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104644-Obsidian-Fallout-New-Vegas-Has-Bugs-Because-Its-Big] that the reason the game has so many bugs is because it is so big, which makes sense, but still doesn't really excuse the sorry state the game was in when it was shoved out the door. There's a difference between missing a few bugs and missing the dozens of problems that New Vegas shipped with.

Source: via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-08-comprehensive-patch-for-new-vegas]

Jul 22, 2009
Good!

I hope they release info on what's getting patched... and at the very least fix the main quests so they can be completed!

Those NCR troopers and the King have been standing perfectly still for about 80 game days now...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
It wouldnt be Obsidian if they didn't release a buggy game.

yes i went there :p

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm very thankful that I held out on playing the game so long now.

I reached Novac, saved, haven't touched it since.

Procrastination works!

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
God Bless Obsidian. They're one of the few developers that manage to be incredibly hard-working and unbearably lazy at the same time.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I'm glad. I've never had any game breaking bugs (although I have had 1 quite important character missing and finding a loop hole was hard but possible) but I have had a lot of the small annoying ones. How many rad scorpians are stuck under the ground? It makes me laugh. Still, my biggest fear is that the patch will fix a few things and also break something else. We shall see I guess.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
THANK GOD! Seriously, though, this game still has some major issues. It's fun, but has major issues. Here's to hoping they fix the frequency of hard crashes...

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Well.. Just in time for me to either finally receive my game or file a missing shipment formulae and hopefully gameplay will be kind enough to ship me new copy..

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I've been able to work around most bugs I've encountered, but I am glad that New Vegas seems to be getting the bug fixes that Fallout and Fallout 2 players could only dream of.

Hm... and on that note I find myself wondering if anyone has made or is planning to remake one of the original games in the GECK...

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I have lost nearly 8 in game hours going back to old saves to either not have my companions missing and in one case had to change how I finished a mission because a character wouldn't spawn for me to talk to him.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
awesome, i might start playing again, i ran into more bugs than most people, but forgive and forget.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What fascinates me is how different the game turns out for various people in regard to bugs.

For instance, I played the game on the PC. I had zero significant bugs. No quests broke, no saves got corrupted, nothing like that. I had a few cases of enemies getting stuck in the terrain, but that was rare and not a big deal.

Also, I use an NVIDIA card, but didn't notice any performance issues, much less something that would warrant a special patch. Heck, I don't even have a good one. It's an old 9500 and it still ran smooth as silk.

Now, I'm not saying that because I had a smooth ride that everyone who says otherwise is lying, but I can't help but feel kinda bad for the game when it's constantly being bashed for bugs and called broken when I found almost no bugs in the game...

Warthur

Sep 20, 2010
Super Toast said:
God Bless Obsidian. They're one of the few developers that manage to be incredibly hard-working and unbearably lazy at the same time.
This. Have they *ever* released a game which wasn't soaked in bugs?

I just hope this won't impact Bethesda's development of future Fallout games. Between Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 I've kind of started to see Obsidian as the developer which ends up murdering my favourite series with substandard releases. :(

Bootbunny

Sep 9, 2009
I'm surprised to many people are experiencing game breaking glitches. After over 40 hours of gameplay I haven't encountered a single game breaking glitch (and very few minor ones) and the game has only frozen on me twice. Although, I think it may have to do with the fact that I downloaded the game to my Xbox 360 hard drive as soon as I got it.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
WOOOT, ima start saving up for it then ^^
Been wanting it for a while now, awesome.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I hope it fixes the major crashing issues at least. My game crashed 4 times in the Ultra-luxe before in the space of about 10 minutes before I made a beeline for the door.

Other than that, and a few of the sort of visual glitches that have pervaded Bethesda games since Oblivion, I guess I can't really complain myself. I hope it fixes the majority of other people's problems though.