Bill Nye the Science Guy Passes Out "Like Lady Gaga"

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Irridium said:
the last paragraph.
Oh. You're right. I thought you meant "this" article not the one linked as source (I somehow missed that completely).
But then again, just before that in the LA Times article it says he was only out for around 10 seconds.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
SCIENNNCE! Also no one helped him...why is that?
My guess? Bystander apathy. The more people that witness something, the less likely it is that it'll get reported. See also the Kitty Genovese case.

OT: So this is what Nye is doing. I thought he'd gone the way of the dodo when the show ended!

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Wait... Bill Nye the science guy is an actual scientist?
well I guess you learn something new every day...

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
The only person who can compare Bill Nye to Lady Gaga is Bill Nye. ONLY Bill Nye. Glad he's okay, I loved that show and highly respect it today, which is an honor due to the fact that I refer to most of my childhood heroes with sarcasm and disdain.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Irridium said:
Tibike77 said:
But then again, just before that it says he was only out for around 10 seconds.
True, but still, no one did anything? Thats just weak.
When somebody falls on stage, especially if there are other "official" people closer and you're a member of the audience, the first thing you do isn't exactly to stand up and rush for help.
Some might have stopped just watching and looked around or even stood up, and when he came back so fast they didn't react in any other way. Heck, the one(s) that wrote the LA Times article wasn't(weren't) doing much in the way of helping either, since they managed to notice that people were updating Twitter... pretty specific if you ask me.
Unless we have a video recording showing clearly the full front rows in the audience exactly when that happened, we only can speculate about the events.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And then Nye, being the BADASS SCIENTIST that he is, went on to teach some schoolchildren about the cardiovascular system and how fainting works.

And the crowd, being the TOTAL BUTTMUNCHES that they are, went on to not be nearly as awesome as Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Why he wasn't helped, aside from the whole "10 seconds" bit which is being glossed over by many:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
In other words, the more people there are to split the responsibility, the less likely it is for someone to actually help a person.

Fill your brains with science.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
OH GOD I LOVED HIS SHOW...

Now what the fuck is with everyone and Twitter? I guy passes out and they go to update their Tiwwter acounts? Fucking twit-tards...

*Edit*

Kilo24 said:
Why he wasn't helped, aside from the whole "10 seconds" bit which is being glossed over by many:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
In other words, the more people there are to split the responsibility, the less likely it is for someone to actually help a person.

Fill your brains with science.
I just got done with a psych class, and we just discussed this. Thank God im not that much of a sheep...

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I would take a bullet for Bill Nye the Science Guy, he pretty much was my entire childhood, back when I only got four tv channels. Hope he's fine, the man's amazing.

Even mention of the name has caused my brain to start repeating the theme song over and over.

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
Glad he's ok.

Not only would we have lost the greatest science guy ever, but the best coaster guy* as well.

*(Cookie for the reference)

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Bill is like the signal: There's no stopping him!

He's been a crucial part of everyone's childhood, and he's a badass. Bill Nye, I salute you.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008

"Inertia is a property of matter!"

Friggin' love Bill Nye The Science Guy. Seriously, the most awesome-est scientist passes out and everyone just Twitters about it? Seriously? (yes, I read the Bystander effect thing)

God, kids these days! I'm really glad he's fine.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
I'm not going to pretend I'd stay off Twitter completely, had I access to it an a reasonable amount of time until he awoke, but would at least make sure he isn't dead/there's nothing I could possibly do to help first.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
It was all a lie. Nye was doing a social experiment to see if anyone would help. Now he will contact Chuck Norris to take care of them. That is the most epic pairing ever. Mind and body!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Hang in there Bill Nye! Wouldn't it be cool if he did short bits that could be posted on sites like The Escapist? That would rule.

Kawatoo

Feb 13, 2009
There was so much science going on the the science guy needed a break from all the sciencing that he scienced. SCIENCE!!!!!

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
People are selfish dicks. Really? Update the damn twitter? I will smack you with the combined might of all the retarded users and their posts, and you will know pain.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Lady Gaga and science don't mix. Sounds like bill needs to grab a nap. And those fools playing with Twitter should be ashamed. Good thing I decided to leave Twitter. Way too boring and I rarely updated my status.