Bill Proposes To Ban Barbie

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Bill Proposes To Ban Barbie

A West Virginia lawmaker wants to legally ban Barbie in the state, citing the dolls' negative influence on girls.

The creatively named Barbie Ban Bill proposes to ban sales of the doll (and presumably its accessories) in West Virginia, arguing that the dolls negatively influence young girls by putting more emphasis on physical beauty than their intellectual and emotional qualities.

"I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you're beautiful, you're beautiful and you don't have to be smart," Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge, who is pushing the bill, said.

The bill's criticism of Mattel's dolls isn't exactly new - feminists and social critics have derided the messages of materialism and superficiality embodied in Barbie's impossibly small waist and pencil-thin limbs for some time now. Considering how old this argument is, as well as the amount of dolls (like those damn Bratz [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratz] toys) out there that arguably perpetuate even worse values, it's a bit odd that West Virginia would suddenly want to get up in arms about Barbie. Eldrige himself seems to be aware of how silly this all is.

"I knew a lot of people were going to joke about it and poke fun at me," he admitted. "I couldn't get anybody to sign on the bill with me but I said I'm still going to introduce it."

Yeesh, he must really hate Barbie. Well, at least he's trying to ban dolls and not videogames. Nobody show him a Dead or Alive game or he'll try to get that banned too.

[Source: MSNBC [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29508066/]]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
"I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you're beautiful, you're beautiful and you don't have to be smart," Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge, who is pushing the bill, said.
Clearly, he forgot that Barbie has been a doctor, and the president. Silly man. There are far worse toys than Barbie for that negative influence, Barbie has always been shown as rich and sucessful.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Your right. Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princesses. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Yay, some lawmakers finally got around to reading decade-old media cultural theory.

SomeBritishDude said:
Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princes. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.
Yup, Barbie's a saint compared to most toys out in the market today. The boat's already sailed, Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge.

bluerahjah

Mar 5, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Your right. Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princes. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.
Yeah, my 5 year old cousin told everyone she wanted thongs for her birthday because that's what the Bratz dolls wear.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Your right. Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princes. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.
More like big heads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mw1ARQc7vw

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
bluerahjah said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Yeah, my 5 year old cousin told everyone she wanted thongs for her birthday because that's what the Bratz dolls wear.
South Park foretold this madness.

bluerahjah

Mar 5, 2008
CoziestPigeon said:
Wait, banning barbies...in VIRGINIA? Man, that one is a shock.
West Virginia, yes while my current state of residence the almighty Commonwealth is known for it's ridiculous laws, even they haven't gone that far.... yet.

Thunderheavyarm

Feb 6, 2009
Ya know it's bad when a bill is trying to be passed and you say to yourself, "Didn't people already ***** about that?" And it is odd that he goes after Barbie first when the first step is to get rid of Bratz.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Thunderheavyarm said:
Ya know it's bad when a bill is trying to be passed and you say to yourself, "Didn't people already ***** about that?" And it is odd that he goes after Barbie first when the first step is to get rid of Bratz.
Agreed. Bratz just promote a negative image with the damn name of them.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Does this guy truly have nothing better to do with his time?
In response to previous posts Bratz would definitely be a much better target.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Your right. Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princesses. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.
I know they made me want to be one... *sigh*

Unfortunately not working out so well...

Who knew that you can't just give sex to chicks whenever you want to? (Short of rape of course... oh and being Matt Damon maybe? Is he attractive? I think he must be... he's in good shape anyways. He has this kinda weird lip thing going on though. I wonder if girls notice that and think him less attractive because of it. Also, he usually has odd haircuts. Kinda dorky. But maybe girls find that cute? Who knows...)

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
If only we could ban banning unless there is an actual, direct physical danger involved. Yes, little girls may turn into whores in later life and be in danger of repeated pimpslaps, but that's an indirect danger from not paying the man.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
It reminds me of a good quote. "Democrats want to be your mommy, Republicans want to be your daddy, and Libertarians just want to treat you like an adult".