Bill Proposes To Ban Barbie

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
That is absolutely ridiculous. Why don't they ban rap music because it makes people thugs while they are at it.

ArcadianTrance

Jan 11, 2009
This topic made me think of that barbie "Growing up Skipper" with boob growing action!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvnmnygo2XE

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Clearly West Virginia has solved all of its other social ills and now has its sights set on barbie.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually the thing is that Barbie has always been sort of a "girl power" concept, the male characters (like Ken, I think there have been others) have always taken a back seat. Barbie has travelled all over the world in her various adventures and done things like acting as a detective. "dumb" is not the first word I'd use to describe the character. As far as being pretty, well nobody wants an ugly doll. Girls dream about being pretty all on their own anyway, the dolls have nothing to do with that.

I find this ironic because while you run into it occasionally, you have also seen things like demanding BLACK dolls with the name "Barbie" on them (as opposed to simply being one of Barbie's friends) for reasons related to empowerment.

It's just ironic how if you wait long enough you can see people argueing about the same thing from exactly the opposite ends of the spectrum in the media.

I mean you've never heard "Gee, I'm glad there aren't any black Barbie dolls, as that would give the wrong message to little black girls."

On one hand the image of the character, and it's very name, is seen as empowering for women. On the other it's seen as being a threat to women's lib.

-

Well gentlemen, all of that rambling aside I think that here on The Escapist we should also attack Barbie. Simply put the whole thing is demeaning towards men. I mean look at the toothless role Ken has in their relationship, one of pure subservience. What is she, like his matriarch or dominatrix or something? It's just not right in the scope of equality. Ken should be given just as much as Barbie. Young girls should be made to play "Ken Horse Adventures" and "Island Prince Ken" to give them the right idea about men and how we're not just second fiddle to women and worthy of their respect and equality as partners!

Obviously Barbie sends the wrong message about gender roles by having a woman in the forefront as opposed to standing side by side with her man.

Empower Ken! Down with Barbie! Booyah!

>>>----Therumancer--->

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Your right. Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princesses. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.
You know what, I'm just going to dig this up from the first page.

Yes, how dare women show a strong and confident interest in their own sexuality! Confident female sexuality should be repressed at all costs, and anyone showing even a hint of it should be degraded by calling them slut, and girls must under no circumstances ever be given a hint that they might one day grow up into sexually independent adult women.
What your describing is a modern day woman. Not a slut. Please don't insult my intellgence or yours.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
SomeBritishDude said:
What your describing is a modern day woman. Not a slut. Please don't insult my intellgence or yours.
Ahhh, because there's some magical line over which a woman's sexuality must not cross?

Seriously, the fact that you use the word slut at all shows that you regard some forms of female sexuality as bad and to be controlled.

It marks you as having a deeply immature view of sexuality, because you desire to control it in others where it does no harm, rather than accepting it.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Ahhh, because there's some magical line over which a woman's sexuality must not cross?

Seriously, the fact that you use the word slut at all shows that you regard some forms of female sexuality as bad and to be controlled.

It marks you as having a deeply immature view of sexuality, because you desire to control it in others where it does no harm, rather than accepting it.
Your name suits you.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
hem dazon 90 said:
Cajt said:
bluerahjah said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Your right. Bratz are so, so much worst. Barbies make girls want to be pretty little princes. Bratz make girls want to be Sluts.
Yeah, my 5 year old cousin told everyone she wanted thongs for her birthday because that's what the Bratz dolls wear.
South Park foretold this madness.
I love that episode....

anyway this is trueoust bratzare worse
Yeah, it's good episode, it's a shame that it really is like that tho.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Barbie does get around alot though. She's the No.1 cause of prostetution.