Billy Bob Blames Games for the Sorry State of Hollywood

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Don't forget games involve more complex writing, because they go for 6+ hours, not 2.

If he wants to see games that have a "lesson behind the violence," play through the Medal of Honor campaign, and check out Homefront. Violence with purpose.
play fallout 3 first. not that their needs to be a purpose, games like mercenaries 2 and left for dead strive to capture hectic violence at its most basic level and that in itself is an art easily failed at. im looking at you expendables

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
*Facepalm*
This guy has played a Bioware game right? Even GTA 4 had a better story then his new movie he's babbling on about.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
brainslurper said:
Aurgelmir said:
Electrogecko said:
First of all, I've been to the movies three times this year (Toy Story, Inception, Scott Pilgrim), and have been blown away all 3 times. Not to mention The Social Network and HP, which is supposed to be good.

Second, he just contradicted himself! He says movies coming out today are crap because they do all these things, then he said how this movie DOESN'T do those things.....and the movie he's talking about is crap!
I agree wit this one, 2010 saw some awesome movies. Both movies that were deep and interesting: Inception, Shutter Island, Toy Story 3, and movies that was all about the fun; Iron Man 2, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim.

Billy Bob is just sad people don't like his form of movies.
You mean the ones that suck ass?
Well yeah, but I tried to not say 'suck' because what Billy Bob is trying to say is:
People today dot appreciate sucky movies.

:p

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I knew what kind of response a story like this would get, but I would say that Andy sort of let us down here on the debate by the way he phrased the closer for his article.

In my view, B.B. has a good point - video games as a story telling medium are ridiculously inadequate and most protagonists are really as he describes them, just a mindless (bad) plot driven murder machine.

I can name probably on one hand all the games in existence where the origins for the protagonists violence are framed in a negative light, or the ramifications of their violent acts are portrayed in a negative light.

Now, in that light it's hard to blame video games for the sorry state of Hollywood, but also we have to cop to the fact that given the inordinate amount of "entertainment time" these games take up in the average gen-y persons day, that they DO have an influence on what they seem to find acceptable. Ergo; I would postulate that the bar has been lowered in terms of story telling and that yes, in some ways, games as an increasingly dominate (yet not fully mature) medium are contributing to this in some way.

Again, I wouldn't say they are to blame, but I would certainly say it's a contributing factor.

Linakrbcs

Jul 29, 2010
What do games have to do with bad movies? There have always been bad movies, it's just that we don't remember the ones from years ago, because the only films that get remembered for a long time are the brilliant ones, the Casablancas and Citizen Kanes.

Sheinen

Apr 22, 2009
Jake Martinez said:
I would certainly say it's a contributing factor.
I disagree whole-heartedly, primarily because I don't believe that there has actually been a change.

Hollywood has always churned out a load of shit. For every One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and American History X there's a dozen Santa Claus Conquers the Martians' or Howard the Duck's.

As a society we have a habit of forgetting our mistakes and glorifying our successes. We all do it, whether we mean to or not and Hollywood is no exception. Mr Billy Bob himself was in a Steven Seagal film! If the indecent language, unnecessary violence and ridiculous story of On Deadly Ground didn't harm the world then Gears of War certainly won't.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
Say the lucky perv who dated Angelina Jolie while being able to be her creepy uncle.

Did he every make a good movie? I cannot remember any at the top of my head.

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
What shit. The few instances where movies were made with the intent to appeal to gamers DOOM (Dwayne Johnson again),Gamer(a half decent movie), they failed, so why would that then become the focus for the majority of the industry? Billy Bob had ONE good, hell even great movie -Switchblade- and yes he wrote the screenplay too, but that was a LONG time ago. What have you done for me LATELY? Go back to the farm and write a decent film, then wax lyrical.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Well Billy Bob, your officially full of it. We kill for fun in games just like we watch people being killed for fun in movies. Think Predator and Raiders of the Lost Ark, what the fuck lessons were we meant to learn from people being skinned alive and getting chopped up by propeller blades?

What about movies like Saw and House of 1000 Corpses? Yeah you got nothing.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
WOOOOW WOOOOW WOOOW, wait a minute! Isn't it the movies that normally makes shit video games?

jspheonix

Mar 10, 2010
I just would like to disagree strongly. Yes Hollywood makes a lot of shit but lets not forget the grass is always greener... look at 70's 80's and 90's? Technically films have improved massively, and overall I would say look at films this year... Inception, Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim (debated naturally but its hard to argue it isn't innovative in style and well thought out), the social network, and an actual amazing Harry Potter film for once. Lets look at Batman, your really going to tell me he was 'less shit' in the 70's? Film is in a new golden age RIGHT NOW and it can get better if we stop and actually look at how Hollywood is learning to take risks it might get a shitload better.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Actually if anything I blame Hollywood for the direction games are taking ... I can see why Angelina left this idiot.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Kakulukia said:
Why are most games about killing? Because games about doing our laundry and going grocery shopping would be boring. Simple as that.
So if 80% of paintings were about killing and I was arguing against that you would say "Why are most paintings about killing? Because paintings about doing our laundry and going grocery shopping would be boring. Simple at that."

Take a step back and look at your argument and see if it makes any sense, in light of the fact that games, like paintings, can be about *anything*. Paintings, movies, tv manages to have a wide range of contexts displayed. Sure, sex and violence is overrepresented in the latter two mediums, but not even close to the extent that murder is overrepresented in video games.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Its cool Billy Bob, just stop acting - the quality of films will increase tenfold, I assure you.

Its an odd day when an actor involved in some of the worst films around takes time to not only highlight that they are rubbish but also to then try to shift the blame elsewhere. His views on Faster made me chuckle though - it is a straight forward Hollywood action driving film but that doesnt equate that its a bad thing. Trying to imply connotations where there are none however, thats what screws films over more.

As it stands its just some pathetic actor try to become the centre of attention through controversy.

Feb 13, 2008
Dude....despite your reasonably insane dealings with Angelina Jolie, if they ever did make a decent videogame movie, it would be a fecking miracle.

Hollywood has always repackaged crap as THE NEXT BEST THING. Perhaps if they didn't, and took a chance occasionally instead of crapping out sequelitis, then we could watch something.

radicaledward92

Dec 29, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Billy Bob Blames Games for the Sorry State of Hollywood

Oscar-winning actor Billy Bob Thorton [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000671/] blames "the videogame generation" for the sad state of Hollywood and the low-quality movies it churns out these days.

It's hard to deny that Hollywood cranks out a lot of garbage. Specific definitions of "garbage" may vary but I think most of us can agree that no matter how you look at it, there's a lot of it. What isn't so clear is precisely why that is. Is it because of the famous Shakespearean limit on the number of stories there are to tell? Or has the movie industry simply realized that it can phone everything in and still rake in bazillions of dollars year after year?

Billy Bob Thorton, the star of films like Telegraph [http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Eye-Blu-ray-Shia-LaBeouf/dp/B001L57ZZ6/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1290634530&sr=1-2]. "They're geared toward the videogame-playing generation. And these videogames, which I'm on my son about constantly, these games are people killing for fun, and I think traditionally in movies, there's always been some kind of lesson in the violent movies."

Thorton's latest movie is called Dwayne Johnson [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433108/], who's "on a bloody quest for revenge against the people who set him up." It sounds like a fairly straightforward Hollywood action vehicle but Thorton claimed there's a lot more to it.

"This movie doesn't say, 'Oh, here's this fun guy and we're going to do this tongue-in-cheek character right out of a videogame who likes to destroy things' and all this kind of thing," he continued. "This movie actually shows what prisons create, what murder creates. It shows this perpetual, violent string of events."

I'm inclined to agree that the attention span of mainstream entertainment consumers isn't what it used to be, but I think Billy Bob is making the same mistake that a great many other people have: confusing the medium with the message. It's the equivalent of watching Freddy vs. Jason [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329101/] and declaring that the film industry is all about, well, "people killing for fun." Hollywood may be a crap factory, but that's Hollywood's problem.

via: Twitter [http://twitter.com/KyleOrl/status/7492706288795649]

Oh sturgeons law applies to everything this day you poor excuse of an actor :D, everything from anime to american movies has an enormous percentage that sucks balls and a good percentage thats considered god like in the eyes of many. The problem isn't videogames you fail excuse of an actor, its hollywood, when the corruption can finally stop, then someone will make a classic....