Bioshock Infinite: The latest victim of the Stupid-American-Box-Art Virus.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
White_Lama said:
Why not one of these instead?
Then again, hopefully with being European, I won't have to look at that cover.

Both of those would be insanely more amazing than what they've currently suggested. If I could vote for a cover, I'd pick either of these.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Really? You're sitting complaining about the box art? Will people whine about anything? When you get the game do you sit and play the game, or sit and stare at the box art? Get over it.
No offense, but box art can be a pretty big factor in whether you buy games, especially if you haven't heard of them beforehand.

For example, "Lost Odyssey" is considered to be a pretty good and, in a sense, almost "classic" JRPG. I passed that game over a hundred times while walking through the local blockbuster (back when they still had blockbuster) because the boxart looked more like an eyesore then anything else. I knew nothing about the game, but I took a look at it and thought "Yeah, this isn't for me."

Here's the European/Japanese Box Art.

While the red around the eyes is a bit... Unnerving, it looks like a fine piece of art none the less.

...Here's the American one.

Can you see why I avoided it? There is so much puke green and yellow colors on the cover, that it practically looked disgusting. The back was no better, with all the ingame screenshots being pictures of grey and brown and overall "dark" and "dreary" places.

Well, eventually I got the game and decided to play it. And you know what? I haven't run into a single bleak or puke green filtered area yet. The box art lead me to believe that the game would be an eyesore, that it would be pointlessly dreary and dull colored. It wasn't, plain and simple. And I put off getting the game for so long because the box art misled me.
I'm sorry, but if you're an adult and you're not buying a game or buying a game because of Box Art.....that's just stupid.

I can understand that mentality when video games where first coming out, there was very little press or reviews of games. Interesting cover art was the only way to get people in. But now, with all the resources at our disposal to figure out what a game is like before you play it, using cover art is hilariously outdated

Excedrin

Feb 22, 2012
jetriot said:
If you really look at this box art and think about it you will find it matches the themes perfectly. This is a series that is about this kind of man, the hero of the Gilded Age. It is like they mixed Teddy Roosevelt, Carnegie and John Galt and this is what we are left with. Am I really the only one that sees how perfectly this box art fits with this series?

Look at the subtext. It is screaming at you.
You aren't the only one. I don't think the box art is nearly as bad as a lot of people are saying. That said, I don't even care about the box art because I've seen the gameplay trailer. I already know what to expect, a picture on a box is not going to change that opinion.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Greyah said:
hazabaza1 said:
If you look closely, you can see that his left hand has a slight orange tinge to it...

Ingenious!
Here's another!

But yeah, that album art is ugly. Boo, hiss, and all that.
The magicka one is a parody of the battlefield ones though, so it passes imo.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Lionsfan said:
I'm sorry, but if you're an adult and you're not buying a game or buying a game because of Box Art.....that's just stupid.

I can understand that mentality when video games where first coming out, there was very little press or reviews of games. Interesting cover art was the only way to get people in. But now, with all the resources at our disposal to figure out what a game is like before you play it, using cover art is hilariously outdated
If you see a game you've never heard of on a shelf with box art fresh out of the Generic-O-Tron 9000, instilling the least amount of interest one can possibly imagine, are you then going to look it up on the internet for a laugh? No, of course not, cuz you just put it out of your mind 2 seconds after seeing the thing and hurriedly forgot about it.

Moralio said:
Doesn't matter, will buy digital version anyway.
Your contribution to the discussion is duly noted.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
BernardoOne said:
Pre-order cover(back and front) has just been revealed.
Meh. At least its colorful.
That can't be the final boxart, can it?

I mean, not only is pretty generic and unoriginal, and chooses to focus on a character you never see instead of the much more presential and cooler looking Elizabeth, Songbird, the Heavy Hitters or Columbia; but it dedicates over a third of the backcover to promote the facebook game, and doesn't have any of the icons detailing installation size, save files size, etc...

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I know this seems random, but did anybody else think of the show Hell On Wheels by looking at the cover. I think with the way he was dressed combined with the semi burning background kind of gave me that vibe, not fully sure why.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Owen Robertson said:
Jaeke said:
Hey guys let's blame America on a picture we'll look at for about a 2 second interval and then complain on the internet about how stupid it is.

Because, hey, that is just stupid!...
Right?
Isn't it the responsibility of the purchaser to criticize a product in order to improve it? If you like the box-art then tell us. If you don't then tell us that. Don't just call us silly for having an opinion. I'll admit its a very minor aesthetic detail that most of us will likely forget about, but remember: Good box-art comes and goes, but GREAT box-art? That lives on forever. Oh and shitty box-art lives on forever too, but in infamy (see 30 posts on Megaman American box-art).
There's mild input, and then there's excessive overly-dramatic lashback to something that has absolutely no affect on the end-product whatsoever.

I kinda like it.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
The current box art isn't truly bad just really really generic which just makes it feel so terrible which is a shame because from what I've seen the game itself looks great. On the plus side the cover could have been worse at least it utilizes color even if it is boring to look at.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Yosharian said:
Sepko said:
I think it's fine, tough guy, shotgun, patriotic flag, it's perfect. I think you're overreacting. Have you considered that the picture is an attempt at subversion?
I don't really think it's an attempt at subversion. I thought it must be for a moment, but apart from the fact that rather than a mournfully waving battered American flag, it's got a burning one (Which might just annoy a couple of anti-flag-burning facists out there), it doesn't really do much else. Guy with severe case of middle-aged, brown haired, white guy-itis (Although his outfit is kind of cool), standard action pose, and in the background, a blimp.

It's kind of meh, but it doesn't change my view of the game. Marketing is marketing. If they think this will sell, then good. I'd prefer it to being lied to like Dead Island.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Jaeke said:
Owen Robertson said:
Jaeke said:
Hey guys let's blame America on a picture we'll look at for about a 2 second interval and then complain on the internet about how stupid it is.

Because, hey, that is just stupid!...
Right?
Isn't it the responsibility of the purchaser to criticize a product in order to improve it? If you like the box-art then tell us. If you don't then tell us that. Don't just call us silly for having an opinion. I'll admit its a very minor aesthetic detail that most of us will likely forget about, but remember: Good box-art comes and goes, but GREAT box-art? That lives on forever. Oh and shitty box-art lives on forever too, but in infamy (see 30 posts on Megaman American box-art).
There's mild input, and then there's excessive overly-dramatic lashback to something that has absolutely no affect on the end-product whatsoever.

I kinda like it.
I don't think it has no effect on the end-product. People are hired to design and choose the cover among several options, using expensive and time consuming polls to help them decide. That is a lot of effort for something that "doesn't matter".

The backlash might be overblown; I don't think anyone here will cancel the preorder based on the cover (and I don't believe anyone who says it will), but that doesn't mean it gets a free card. It might not matter for most of the people that the name means something and are planning on buying it; but it does matter for people browsing the shelf and getting something that catches their eyes... To those people, that cover might sent the wrong message.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
jetriot said:
If you really look at this box art and think about it you will find it matches the themes perfectly. This is a series that is about this kind of man, the hero of the Gilded Age. It is like they mixed Teddy Roosevelt, Carnegie and John Galt and this is what we are left with. Am I really the only one that sees how perfectly this box art fits with this series?

Look at the subtext. It is screaming at you.
The thing is, it's NOT just about the main character's gun rampage throughout a beautiful game environment. It should be a picture of the city itself or something, not some square-jawed cowboy. Something about it irks me.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
LOL Booker's face, which the player will never, ever see because the game is in first-person.

I'm getting a severely strong Evil Dead vibe from him.

The sad thing is, everyone knows this is to pander to the FPS fanboys, rather than previous fans. "How do we get the CoD and Battlefield money?"
"Put a rugged bastard on the front cover with a shotgun over his shoulder."
"And on the back?"
"...Bewbs."

IxHADOUKENxI

Dec 24, 2010
Future Wars

Euro Box Art
http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1295964041-00.jpg

American Box Art
http://i2.listal.com/image/271756/936full-future-wars%3A-adventures-in-time-cover.jpg

>Thread.