"Bioshock".... yet another zippy rant.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Bioshock is not a game its an experience the shooter elements are bad but its not meant to be seen as a FPS as the art deco and design elements make it a wondrous experience.
The sad thing is some people believe that, that somehow an interactive movies "experience" is more important than the sum of its parts...namely game mechanics and anything else as if their mind is turned off and the spooky scripted horror elements surprise and entertain them....oooooo shiny.......... er what...where was I....er...

Ah yes I am so tired of the "Like the experience of" with tone of a IQ depraved rodent(on very very bad days) when people gush about Bioshock or any other under developed modern game..... and yes I looking at you as well Fo3.......

Anyway.... on with my main rant.... (warning block o'text imminent)

I am sorry but dark messiah was far more engrossing due to its advanced game mechanics and AI(story/dailog is much worse than than BS's then again BS's is more sound bites and short hand than full B movie dailog that's offered in most shooter class games.....) BS is well...... a shallow art deco inspired action title that is just....... lacking..............the game it's unfinished and incomplete and under developed when it ever comes out of beta and they fix the lack of a death mechanic,items every f r a k k'i n where on all difficulty settings, wonky weapon balances, retarded AI that if it where not for the "water" and "health" scripts they'd be as bad as Jericho's "see it kill it before it dies" AI ...its not just a lousy shooter but a poorly made game out side of the art design and modlei...er... no the modeling sucks too due to the limits of the console focused 30 FPS cap which twitch's the frame rate randomly on some of the models.........(sigh if they only released a SDK it could have been the best thing ever.........sigh)

Really to gaming its a travesty like the new star war eps are to sci fi films in general and star wars in particular. Sure its popular...but so is twilight and a bunch of other great for the genre they were trying to aim at but to me BS is on the same level as Alpha Prime,Nercovision,Cryostaisis and even (god I can't believe I am saying this) Damnation.... and ya know.... Alpha Prime,Nercovision are more fun........ and Cryostaisis is more engrossing....

PS:yes...I been holding it back till I ran into to many people with the lights off while someone was home.....

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
My god, I have never seen someone abuse the ellipsis that much in one post.

I have to disagree with utterly everything you have said there. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near unfinished, the gunplay, whilst sluggish at times, does work fairly well.

PS: Please, tone down the ellipsis use?

Paridice

Aug 26, 2009
I agree. Bioshock has a lot of great things and story 2 it. Do tone it down please.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Paridice said:
I agree. Bioshock has a lot of great things and story 2 it. Do tone it down please.
All of which disjointed and poorly implemented.....but the art deco steam punk design theme.....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
MurderousToaster said:
My god, I have never seen someone abuse the ellipsis that much in one post.

I have to disagree with utterly everything you have said there. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near unfinished, the gunplay, whilst sluggish at times, does work fairly well.

PS: Please, tone down the ellipsis use?
I would have to learn proper grammar first, grammar and zippy is like oil and water.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Paridice said:
And would you also please tone down your use of numbers in place of words?

Think of it, if Bioshock was as bad of a game as you make it out to be, it wouldn't have the following it does from dedicated gamers and reviewers alike.

Sure, it may not be the best game ever, but it most certainly isn't a travesty. There have been far worse games in history, particularly from the Phillips CDi and Panasonic 3DO.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Paridice said:

Think of it, if Bioshock was as bad of a game as you make it out to be, it wouldn't have the following it does from dedicated gamers and reviewers alike.

Sure, it may not be the best game ever, but it most certainly isn't a travesty. There have been far worse games in history, particularly from the Phillips CDi.
Look at how well Twilight and cod piece 4.5(mw2) is doing... popularity>qaulity my friend, popularity>qaulity.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
How good bioshock is really depends on who's playing it, if you came in expecting yet another fast paced FPS you would probably be disappointed, however, if you are a fan of good use of atmosphere in games; are fascinated by moral philosophy and enjoy creative level design, then bioshock would be a game you wouldn't want to miss

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Bioshock is not a game its an experience the shooter elements are bad but its not meant to be seen as a FPS as the art deco and design elements make it a wondrous experience.
The sad thing is some people believe that, that somehow an interactive movies "experience" is more important than the sum of its parts...namely game mechanics and anything else as if their mind is turned off and the spooky scripted horror elements surprise and entertain them....oooooo shiny.......... er what...where was I....er...

Ah yes I am so tired of the "Like the experience of" with tone of a IQ depraved rodent(on very very bad days) when people gush about Bioshock or any other under developed modern game..... and yes I looking at you as well Fo3.......

I am sorry but dark messiah was far more engrossing due to its advanced game mechanics and AI(story/dailog is much worse than than BS's then again BS's is more sound bites and short hand than full B movie dailog that's offered in most shooter class games.....) BS is well...... a shallow art deco inspired action title that is just....... lacking..............the game it's unfinished and incomplete and under developed when it ever comes out of beta and they fix the lack of a death mechanic,items every f r a k k'i n where on all difficulty settings, wonky weapon balances, retarded AI that if it where not for the "water" and "health" scripts they'd be as bad as Jericho's "see it kill it before it dies" AI ...its not just a lousy shooter but a poorly made game out side of the art design and modlei...er... no the modeling sucks too due to the limits of the console focused 30 FPS cap which twitch's the frame rate randomly on some of the models.........(sigh if they only released a SDK it could have been the best thing ever.........sigh)

Really to gaming its a travesty like the new star war eps are to sci fi films in general and star wars in particular. Sure its popular...but so is twilight and a bunch of other great for the genre they were trying to aim at but to me BS is on the same level as Alpha Prime,Nercovision,Cryostaisis and even (god I can't believe I am saying this) Damnation.... and ya know.... Alpha Prime,Nercovision are more fun........ and Cryostaisis is more engrossing....

PS:yes...I been holding it back till I ran into to many people with the lights off while someone was home.....
how is bioshock unfinished and incomplete?
are you sure you were playing, or even played bioshock?
and do tone it down with the elipses. for god's sake i don't even abuse them that much.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Ellipses' are not used as the indication of a pause! Silly boy! /Nazi grammar rant.

On topic, who cares? I'm getting really sick of these threads. You don't like Bioshock? Congratulations! Uh, what do you want?

A medal or something?

You don't have to like it. Many people, including me, love the game. No one cares if you don't.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Look at how well Twilight and cod piece 4.5(mw2) is doing... popularity>qaulity my friend, popularity>qaulity.
First off, Twilight was shitty to begin with, so it was destined that the movies were also destined to be shit as well.

Modern Warfare 2 however isn't famous just because it's leeching off it's older brother. Sure, it didn't bring as many innovations to the table as the first Modern Warfare, but it has to be superb to win at least one award from almost every game reviewing site and magazine.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
Kortney said:
You don't have to like it. Many people, including me, love the game. No one cares if you don't.
And at the same time, no one cares if you do like it.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
popularity=/=quality
Fixed.

I wouldn't call Bioshock cinematic, story based would be a better way of putting it. And I would point out that only rarely is the first installment of a new IP perfect. I like Bioshock in spite of its minor flaws, however I'll be much harder on Bioshock 2.

Also, you wouldn't be the same ZippyDSM I used to see kicking around the afterdawn forums would you?

Edit: While we're talking about flawed games, how can you hold up Dark Messiah as an example of a good game. DM is classic good ideas hampered by poor implementation. The combat alone was broken enough to very nearly drive me up the wall; never mind the level design or the voice acting.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
CarrionRoc said:
Kortney said:
And at the same time, no one cares if you do like it.
I'm talking about people starting threads over it. I'm against all threads who just merely state an opinion. I'd react exactly the same to a "bioshock is awesome" thread.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
spartan773 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

how is bioshock unfinished and incomplete?
are you sure you were playing, or even played bioshock?
and do tone it down with the elipses. for god's sake i don't even abuse them that much.
Do you really want me to go through an itemized list? I can, lets see main topics to the list will be combat,weapon balances,mod implementation,level design, AI,plasmids ,graphical glitches,PC mouse issues,Dailog,Item pacing.

Basically the over all implementation over everything together makes it feel unfinished,same with Dragon age and Fallout 3.... but at least dragon age was worth buying..... .

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wait...are you comparing Bioshock to Dark Messiah: Might and Magic?
If so yea...maybe you're more of a niche gamer, because that received mostly average reviews and was in general passed on by most people. Hell Gamespot nominated the console version Flat-Out Worst Game in its 2008 video game awards. And you also take a shot at Fallout 3? Yea...

No death system? Damage and death is a choice of a developer. You're criticizing the system where your character dies and is regenerated by the local Vita-Chamber? Which they actually bother to address in the plot.
Why bother to complain when other games let you takes enough bullets to kill a herd of cattle, and 3 seconds behind cover makes you good as new? Hell other games have done more ridiculous death systems, for example Fable 2, you fall over and pop back up after losing a tiny sliver of exp. WoW has you walk back to your corpse as a ghost. One could argue that having a permanent death in a game where you have to see a load game screen can pull you out of the game, whereas having a legit excuse to keep going without it keeps atmosphere.

Also calling it incomplete and unfinished is an over exaggeration. If you truly think this then you really have to go out and play the numerous amounts of crap that is available on the market that makes Bioshock look like it was crafted meticulously over a hundred decades.

Not the best but by no means is it bad or the worst.

edargh

Jan 20, 2009
I thought Bioshock was a fantastic shooter in its own right, I really don't see what you seem to think is bad about the gameplay.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Suiseiseki IRL said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
First off, Twilight was shitty to begin with, so it was destined that the movies were also destined to be shit as well.

Modern Warfare 2 however isn't famous just because it's leeching off it's older brother. Sure, it didn't bring as many innovations to the table as the first Modern Warfare
Hardly I saw twilight it was meh,bioshock is meh, MW2 claim to fame is the brand not the game itself like every other madden game.....
but it has to be superb to win at least one award from almost every game reviewing site and magazine.
Meh it dose not take much to wow the legion of ad revenue sucking mags....

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Paridice said:

Sure, it may not be the best game ever, but it most certainly isn't a travesty. There have been far worse games in history, particularly from the Phillips CDi.
Alright, so I guess that since games like Psychonauts/Okami/Shadow of the Colossus/Bioshock have a devoted fanbase, that means they're rubbish? Might I remind you of how popular Ocarina of Time is, or perhaps the original star wars trilogy? Bioshock may not be the greatest game out there, but at least it dares to do things different, a trait that seems to be lacking in today's industry.

Edit: And you're taking digs at Fallout 3 and Dragon Age too? Forgive me, but it seems like you don't truly appreciate game immersion for what it is.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Heathrow said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
popularity=/=quality
Fixed.

I wouldn't call Bioshock cinematic, story based would be a better way of putting it. And I would point out that only rarely is the first installment of a new IP perfect. I like Bioshock in spite of its minor flaws, however I'll be much harder on Bioshock 2.

Also, you wouldn't be the same ZippyDSM I used to see kicking around the afterdawn forums would you?

Edit: While we're talking about flawed games, how can you hold up Dark Messiah as an example of a good game. DM is classic good ideas hampered by poor implementation. The combat alone was broken enough to very nearly drive me up the wall; never mind the level design or the voice acting.
Same idiot....er.... person :p

The AI made Dark Messiah I loved dcking around with it, same for FEAR, also I got use to the combat in DM 30% or so extra on the reach of what you see is the collision detection on the weapon. it took me an hour of staying in the same place and getting use to all the main weapon types loved the staff and daggers the most, kicking and blocking helped as well.

level design DM and BS are the same some secrets/nooks but DM is not a sandbox game, a shame to the rope bow would have made it evil. Scripts/dailog typical FPS/shooter/low budget action game level.At least it had a decent equipment/item system..... What really put me over the edge with BS is the AI they just did not put any effort into it other than the water/heal scripts......