"Bioshock".... yet another zippy rant.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
spartan773 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
spartan773 said:
how is bioshock unfinished and incomplete?
are you sure you were playing, or even played bioshock?
and do tone it down with the elipses. for god's sake i don't even abuse them that much.
Do you really want me to go through an itemized list? I can, lets see main topics to the list will be combat,weapon balances,mod implementation,level design, AI,plasmids ,graphical glitches,PC mouse issues,Dailog,Item pacing.

Basically the over all implementation over everything together makes it feel unfinished,same with Dragon age and Fallout 3.... but at least dragon age was worth buying..... .
Combat, so you're basically ripping on it for being a shooter, and as such, has pistols, shotguns, machine guns, heavier weapons and a melee weapon?

weapon balances? why weapon balances? i felt they implemented it pretty realistically, because recoil's a *****.

mod implementation? you mean the tonics and weapon upgrades? the tonics play into the ADAM gathering and upgrading in several ways to test out ways you want to play. the weapon mods upgrade the weapons and fit into the "art deco steampunk" style.

level design? it's amazing. going into the bathesphere and seeing the entire underwater metropolis like a 1940's version of Atlantis and the different parts of Rapture fit in to support a city on the ocean bed.

AI... it was a bit weak but at least tough.

Plasmids, once again, if you picked up Audio logs throughout the game, it explains ADAM and the plasmids, also giving a new ability for shooters instead of firing away with a gun.

Graphical Glitches: that depends on the hardware you play it on, because i played the ps3 version and didn't experience this at all.

PC mouse.... hell that's why there's the "OPTIONS" menu to set it to your liking.

Dialog. it was well-preformed. the Splicers idle, searching, interacting, and fighting talk was well implemented and shows the degrade that ADAM and splicing can do to you. also showing on mental illness, which is a growing fear to these days.

Item placing: i will agree with you on that. too much ammo, EVE hypos, first aid kits and money lying around, but that's a minor flaw.

and Unfinished? What makes you think it's unfinished? it was a well-designed game. Fallout 3 was a good game. dragon age looks like a good game... and earlier you mentioned Modern Warfare 2 to other Escapists and you say that it's a trend? OK, MW2's story was butchered short but was a good engrossing story from several different viewpoints of soldiers.

Twilight.... Eh. i hate it. it's not worth a mention... besides this.
Sigh I will need sleep to go into this fully and coherently...least more coherently than what I would do without sleep...LOL

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
Uh... so? Does that really matter? I was able to shoot things and make them dead-ified pretty well. Isn't that the point. Besides, the hard things to kill were huge targets.
I wasn't defending his assertion. You were confused, I was clarifying.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Heathrow said:
Zeromaeus said:
Uh... so? Does that really matter? I was able to shoot things and make them dead-ified pretty well. Isn't that the point. Besides, the hard things to kill were huge targets.
I wasn't defending his assertion. You were confused, I was clarifying.
I'm trying to understand his point. I don't see that there is one?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
vivadelkitty said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
vivadelkitty said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
vivadelkitty said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
So you would prefer terrible dialogue, and controls along the line of "press b to shoot, don't press b to not shoot" (Croshaw, review of House of the Dead)? I honestly think that gaming should be about telling a narrative. If you don't LIKE the narrative, play games without one. Hell, I've even seen a flash game or five that manages to tell a good story. Gaming is evolving, we shouldn't be regressing. And as to your comment about Bioshock 'ripping off' System Shock 2, they were both made by Irrational Games, Bioshock was meant to be a spiritual successor to SS2.

If you want it to be told a narrative...go watch a Gdamn film, I want rich fun gameplay I can interact with and be enthralled by, most modern games try to be more indie film project than a frakking game..........
You're dodging the point. Games should be able to incorporate both, not just one or the other, and I feel that Bioshock accomplishes this. Again, we need to progress with the medium, not stay locked in the rigid gameplay box.
I am not dodging the point I am taking it dead on, stories have always been 2ndary to gamepaly and mechanics but in the last 10ish years they have been slowly focusing more and more on contrived story or character elements or other plot/story gibberish or graphics gameplay what makes a game a game and puts it above others the fulcrum upon which and how you interact with it has been cast aside for fluff...... I'll take Doom 1-2 a simple "kill it dead before it dies" shooter with very above average level layout than Doom 3,Quake 4,Jericho all contrived corridor shooters with flashy graphics and an arbitrary story......... SS2,Dues ex games like these manage to do it all with reasonable things they fail at...BS fails at too much it just pushes all my whine,hate and lulz buttons ><

Truthfully FO3 dose as well..... DA/ME is more a minor rant still not played the FPS known as ME2 yet enough to hate on it yet......
And yet you've failed to address my points about regression in gaming, but at this point, I feel like I'm teaching existentialism to my cat. You won't listen to anything I have to say, it seems you only created this thread with the purpose of forcing your opinion onto us, with no leeway for other ideas.
Might be due to lack of sleep but it comes off as story and how design appearance flows together is somehow better than solid gameplay, I might reading it wrong sorry I haz a mental overlaod. I am trying my hardest to share what I think since I suck at grammar due to my learning disablites I can come off...wrong.....just wrong >>

If you would not mind asking in a more detailed way I can answer it more easily... I do apologize if I on still stuck in nerd rage mode...that and lack of sleep and my genreal incoherence is not helping....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Lord Krunk said:
This thread... makes my head hurt.

Have you even played the game? Seriously?
30 hours...... 50 on FO3 and 30 on DA....... 50 on ME....... yes dear I do play them.....thats why I rant about them :X

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
SonicKoala said:
Well, apart from raping the english language, your rant feels incredibly disjointed and vague.... and I disagree with everything you said. How is the game "incomplete"? And a "travesty"? Really?

And secondly, stop with your stupid "Oh, well Twilight is popular, that means everything else that is popular is shit" thing. It makes no sense at all, and it's a horrible argument which is unable to stand up to any sort of scrutiny. Sometimes things are popular because they're GOOD.
Why? because its a good analogy? I might see it as twilight, how about the new star wars ep 1 it did well despite the ragging on it....

Kud

I'm stuck because demonic spider
Sep 29, 2009
Bioshock is great.

just because your opinion is differant, that doesn't mean you have to make a thread about it.

Especially one thats been done as many times as this one.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Heathrow said:
Zeromaeus said:
I;m trying to understand his point. I don't see that there is one?
Not a good one perhaps.
TL:DR
""ZOMG!!!!i1111 ts too simplfied I am a sad geek RRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEE""

This is the basics for all zippy rants >> *walks off in shame*

Kud

Sep 29, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
SonicKoala said:
Well, apart from raping the english language, your rant feels incredibly disjointed and vague.... and I disagree with everything you said. How is the game "incomplete"? And a "travesty"? Really?

And secondly, stop with your stupid "Oh, well Twilight is popular, that means everything else that is popular is shit" thing. It makes no sense at all, and it's a horrible argument which is unable to stand up to any sort of scrutiny. Sometimes things are popular because they're GOOD.
Why? because its a good analogy? I might see it as twilight, how about the new star wars ep 1 it did well despite the ragging on it....
Dude stop.

Crap movies are popular a lot but video games just don't work like that.

Goombanator

Dec 2, 2009
Zippy you honestly sound like you need to stop playing games. Seems like you have somthing to nitpick about every little thing- Yes Bioshock is not as good a shooter as other games, but in the same breath you sems to hate on MW2 wich despite its popularity, has ome of the best shooting mechanics of any game ive played in years, and thats not based on sales, its based on the fact that the average player has sunk nearly 2 or 3 days of online playtime into it, despite the fact that the servers are by no means the best, unless of course your on about the pc version, but who cares about that.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Caimekaze said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
If you want it to be told a narrative...go watch a Gdamn film, I want rich fun gameplay I can interact with and be enthralled by, most modern games try to be more indie film project than a frakking game..........
... So a ... Game is... only what you... say it..... is?

Some people play games for the plot, the aesthetic, the experience.

I personally found the gameplay of Bioshock to be quite fun. I mainly played with my wrench, so it was rather grueling pre-Wrench Monkey upgrade and then rewarding afterwards. Finding a nice balance of plasmids, being forced to swap guns when you've pumped all your shotgun shells into a Big Daddy and he's still trying to give you a new hole and the feeling of being underpowered against these superhuman freaks is just satisfying to me. I also adored the research system.

Bioshock was the spiritual successor of System Shock 2, albeit designed in a more bio/steampunk manner to System Shock's cyberbunk. So of course there will be similarities.
No no I am trying to "rave" about how I feel about the game and why I think its far too simplified and watered down. Is it a spiritual successor to a game that was difficult and part of the enamored to it was that it was difficult that it took time to get good with stuff. I see BS 2 as just another modern knock off of a arbitrary genre it goes through the motions is simple enough for anyone to play without any trouble what so ever albeit from getting lost..... I know I know I am stuck on the game mechanics and them firmly planted up my read...with my head...and my but is in the sand.... I jsut felt the need to share my pain...... I do apologize >>

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Caimekaze said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

I personally found the gameplay of Bioshock to be quite fun. I mainly played with my wrench, so it was rather grueling pre-Wrench Monkey upgrade and then rewarding afterwards. Finding a nice balance of plasmids, being forced to swap guns when you've pumped all your shotgun shells into a Big Daddy and he's still trying to give you a new hole and the feeling of being underpowered against these superhuman freaks is just satisfying to me. I also adored the research system.

Bioshock was the spiritual successor of System Shock 2, albeit designed in a more bio/steampunk manner to System Shock's cyberbunk. So of course there will be similarities.
No no I am trying to "rave" about how I feel about the game and why I think its far too simplified and watered down. Is it a spiritual successor to a game that was difficult and part of the enamored to it was that it was difficult that it took time to get good with stuff. I see BS 2 as just another modern knock off of a arbitrary genre it goes through the motions is simple enough for anyone to play without any trouble what so ever albeit from getting lost..... I know I know I am stuck on the game mechanics and them firmly planted up my read...with my head...and my but is in the sand.... I jsut felt the need to share my pain...... I do apologize >>
Not a comment on the thread really, but uh... get some sleep. You're getting very incoherent.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Lord Krunk said:
This thread... makes my head hurt.

Have you even played the game? Seriously?
30 hours...... 50 on FO3 and 30 on DA....... 50 on ME....... yes dear I do play them.....thats why I rant about them :X
I seriously doubt that. You give no detail, don't even back up your statements and occasionally spew forth outright lies. It's misinformed and badly written, and if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were just plastering flame bait onto the boards.

My diagnosis: Leave the rants to someone who knows what they're doing, and actually played the damn game.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
AshPox said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
SonicKoala said:

Dude stop.

Yes they do.....they very very very very much do....... its an epidemic with modern media no matter how bad it is people still buy it because its the brand,gene,ect they want.

Its just how things work.... poplar whims drive the need for everything and now that games are popular they must be dumbed down to maintain the profit numbers the ever growing cost of game design requires to make crappy flashy games and crap for the public.....

And no not everything sucks.....but most things are more like Transformers/Street fighter and less like star wars/LOTRs......

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Goombanator said:
Zippy you honestly sound like you need to stop playing games. Seems like you have somthing to nitpick about every little thing- Yes Bioshock is not as good a shooter as other games, but in the same breath you sems to hate on MW2 wich despite its popularity, has ome of the best shooting mechanics of any game ive played in years, and thats not based on sales, its based on the fact that the average player has sunk nearly 2 or 3 days of online playtime into it, despite the fact that the servers are by no means the best, unless of course your on about the pc version, but who cares about that.
Well ya modern design aesthetic rubs me the wrong way 80% of the time...but its my only hobby...I can;t sit back and enjoy the lulz like with anime now when games get to be auto played I wont have much to whine about anything....

Kud

Sep 29, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
AshPox said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
SonicKoala said:

Dude stop.

Yes they do.....they very very very very much do....... its an epidemic with modern media no matter how bad it is people still buy it because its the brand,gene,ect they want.

Its just how things work.... poplar whims drive the need for everything and now that games are popular they must be dumbed down to maintain the profit numbers the ever growing cost of game design requires to make crappy flashy games and crap for the public.....

And no not everything sucks.....but most things are more like Transformers/Street fighter and less like star wars/LOTRs......
Ok then, Name one game that is popular that nobody likes.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zeromaeus said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Caimekaze said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

Not a comment on the thread really, but uh... get some sleep. You're getting very incoherent.
Well I am pretty incoherent most of the time sadly ><

I am out.....

===========
PS thread:I am not trying to flame or troll just trying to share my opinion, I have more opinion than my brains can handle! LOL night thread!

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I liked Bioshock for its story, but something about the gameplay just seemed...lacking. I still liked the game overall, but it wasn't the wondrous piece of gaming that a lot of people made it out to be.