"Bioshock".... yet another zippy rant.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
vivaldiscool said:
SmartIdiot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Paridice said:
I agree. Bioshock has a lot of great things and story 2 it. Do tone it down please.
All of which disjointed and poorly implemented...
A lot like your 'rant'. I can't even take offense to it as it looks like it was written by 5 year old who's discovered coffee for the first time.
How about a 30 something who haz fuzz for brains and uses rocks and occasional cave paintings to bang out grammar with? >>
If that makes you happy.

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
its becoming increasingly popular to hate games that are both good and popular recently hasnt it? it seems like everytime i sign on to the escapist there is at least 3 or 4 threads about why someone hates awesome games like bioshock, mw2, DA:O, borderlands, or fallout 3 just for a few examples. come on these games are fun, alot of people enjoy them, if you dont then heres an idea..... dont play them.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
SmartIdiot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
vivaldiscool said:
SmartIdiot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Paridice said:
I agree. Bioshock has a lot of great things and story 2 it. Do tone it down please.
All of which disjointed and poorly implemented...
A lot like your 'rant'. I can't even take offense to it as it looks like it was written by 5 year old who's discovered coffee for the first time.
How about a 30 something who haz fuzz for brains and uses rocks and occasional cave paintings to bang out grammar with? >>
If that makes you happy.
Well its my only good excuse other than being a idiot :p

soulasylum85 said:
its becoming increasingly popular to hate games that are both good and popular recently hasnt it? it seems like everytime i sign on to the escapist there is at least 3 or 4 threads about why someone hates awesome games like bioshock, mw2, DA:O, borderlands, or fallout 3 just for a few examples. come on these games are fun, alot of people enjoy them, if you dont then heres an idea..... dont play them.
Trend hating is not new its more issues with complacency then bashing the things that are so loved that don;t really do anything new other than being popular.

the problem with "don't play/watch them" train of thought is that what else there to do with your chosen hobby? Its a bit disingenuous when something is called great, innovative,ect when its non of those things, I can admit that BS has excellent art direction,solid voice acting and is above average for the day but the gameplay, basically what everything is interconnected with is a bit rancid.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I can sum up all of this in one sentence. People like it, you don't. Can we move on? People have since the day it came out complained on what makes it a bad game. What you prefer in a game doesn't matter. People have different preferences. I like JRPG's because of their stories, not the game play. Many people I know thinks I'm coco because of this. You didn't like it, fine, don't play it again. But we have been over this so many times already.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Kortney said:
Ellipses' are not used as the indication of a pause! Silly boy! /Nazi grammar rant.

On topic, who cares? I'm getting really sick of these threads. You don't like Bioshock? Congratulations! Uh, what do you want?

A medal or something?

You don't have to like it. Many people, including me, love the game. No one cares if you don't.
This >:O

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
the problem with "don't play/watch them" train of thought is that what else there to do with your chosen hobby?
Play a different game? Just going to throw it out there.

OT: Personally, I loved Bioshock. The shooting mechanics weren't all that bad, only taking a couple minutes to get used to them because they weren't as smooth as other shooters. And after they patched it you could disable the Vita Chambers, so that removed the lack of punishment for dying. I don't know if they did that for the consoles, but it's rather simple to get around it anyways - don't die. And if you do, just load up your last save.

The AI fits the setting. The main enemies are violent, mentally impaired junkies in a world torn apart by a civil war. They see you, they try to kill you. The Big Daddys entire role is to protect the Little Sisters. You attack and they get violent and try to beat you down, which is just about the only thing a giant diving suit with a drill/rivet can do. Should a giant suit of armour psychologically conditioned to protect, even at the cost of its own life, cower behind cover?

[sub]Edited for spelling and grammar[/sub]

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Alpha1089 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
the problem with "don't play/watch them" train of thought is that what else there to do with your chosen hobby?
Play a different game? Just going to throw it out there.

OT: Personally, I loved Bioshock. The shooting mechanics weren't all that bad, only taking a couple minutes to get used to them because they weren't as smooth as other shooters. And after they patched it you could disable the Vita Chambers, so that removed the lack of punishment for dying. I don't know if they did that for the consoles, but it's rather simple to get around it anyways - don't die. And if you do, just load up your last save.

The AI fits the setting. The main enemies are violent, mentally impaired junkies in a world torn apart by a civil war. They see you, they try to kill you. The Big Daddys entire role is to protect the Little Sisters. You attack and they get violent and try to beat you down, which is just about the only thing a giant diving suit with a drill/rivet can do. Should a giant suit of armour psychologically conditioned to protect, even at the cost of its own life, cower behind cover?

[sub]Edited for spelling and grammar[/sub]
Thats not the point of a good and solid death mechanic to be flung back to last auto save or die but not die but to use death in a meaningful way to the gameplay........

....if they were that dumb they would not bother putting fire out or running for health.......

The Big Daddy/brother/roise their AI was more or less ok could have more scripted strategies(toss a grenade and run for you,ect) also the AI suffers from being more radius to the AI based than based on sight and sound and this AI is used for just about everything in the game with most of it being tweaked to some variant of radius/sight.

Its just quite annoying to see such predictable AI in a game that is trying to do more.
I suppose Fears AI was predictable as well but at least 40% of the time it manged to to not be so predictable.

I suppose I might be focusing to much on gamepaly(shooter mechanics and how you interact with the world) and AI(who you fight and how simple/smart they can be) and I am still thoroughly unimpressed with the flat level design(sure its better than most today but its not better than dues ex 2 invisible war as its the same cramped console specific design only with a couple more nooks and ton more stuff hidden)...perhaps if items where paced better I would not.
But a game is about mechanics and what you do in it sight seeing and even story is....well....moot.....

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:
MurderousToaster said:
My god, I have never seen someone abuse the ellipsis that much in one post.

I have to disagree with utterly everything you have said there. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near unfinished, the gunplay, whilst sluggish at times, does work fairly well.

PS: Please, tone down the ellipsis use?
I would have to learn proper grammar first, grammar and zippy is like oil and water.
You mean turgid, unpleasant to look at, and likely to end up flaming?

No I thought the shooting was pretty solid. Enemies do not need to be intelligent in corridor shooters, and neither does the player - you just try to out gun the other. simple. Plus, the plasmids do offer lots of variety when it comes to creatively killing someone. The vita chambers did soften the game up a lot, but if I recall correctly, there was an option to turn off the feature. The only thing that ever got on my nerves was the hacking mini-games, which become very tedious. The story and atmosphere were excellently implemented. The cut-scenes were neither jarring, nor invasive.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
terrible rant and if you're going to invoke the name of some other game, assume people haven't played it and give a little bit more description.

BioShock I thought had excellent atmosphere and story elements, but I also did not much enjoy some of the combat as I didn't much like plasmids (underpowered... the fire one sucked and it should have rocked) and I was always therefore low on ammo.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
maninahat said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
MurderousToaster said:

I have to disagree with utterly everything you have said there. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near unfinished, the gunplay, whilst sluggish at times, does work fairly well.

I would have to learn proper grammar first, grammar and zippy is like oil and water.
You mean turgid, unpleasant to look at, and likely to end up flaming?

No I thought the shooting was pretty solid. Enemies do not need to be intelligent in corridor shooters, and neither does the player - you just try to out gun the other. simple. Plus, the plasmids do offer lots of variety when it comes to creatively killing someone. The vita chambers did soften the game up a lot, but if I recall correctly, there was an option to turn off the feature. The only thing that ever got on my nerves was the hacking mini-games, which become very tedious. The story and atmosphere were excellently implemented. The cut-scenes were neither jarring, nor invasive.
So dumb game is meant to be dumb for idiot players.... lovely........ a game requires more than a shallow story with great bits and artsy atmosphere to be a great game. This game fails at being a game and dose better at being a film experience.... if you can not tell I ahte games that fail at the game stuff.....

Wolfram01 said:
terrible rant and if you're going to invoke the name of some other game, assume people haven't played it and give a little bit more description.

BioShock I thought had excellent atmosphere and story elements, but I also did not much enjoy some of the combat as I didn't much like plasmids (underpowered... the fire one sucked and it should have rocked) and I was always therefore low on ammo.
It looked good it plays well enough but its empty,easy and the combination of issues makes it feel very shallow. I didn't have trouble with killing things or finding my way but by the time I got to Arcadia the whole arcady sand box experience just was a bore to play, remove the atmosphere/art design and the game dose not have any leg to stand on...

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
It's a game I can pick up and play and get into weeks and months after I have finished it, either to look for the backing story, such as the audio diaries and the placement of scenery or see exactly how many bees it takes to kill a whole level of Splicers*.

I've seen issues in the game, but from my experiences playing it, the issues are far outweighed by the fun I have beating a gibbering madman to death with his own hat.

Since it's not a game you enjoyed, then take it back to the store and get a game you'd like.

[sub]*Turns out it's a lot.[/sub]

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
ZippyDSMlee said:
Wolfram01 said:

It looked good it plays well enough but its empty,easy and the combination of issues makes it feel very shallow. I didn't have trouble with killing things or finding my way but by the time I got to Arcadia the whole arcady sand box experience just was a bore to play, remove the atmosphere/art design and the game dose not have any leg to stand on...
I bought and played BS2 for a few hours last night. Firstly, it's not a sandbox game, at all. Never was. Secondly, remove atmosphere and art from just about any game and you have nothing. That's true of games ranging from Half Life to Resident Evil to God of War and Zelda. BS2 has many better features over the original I'm already greatly enjoying, like plasmids + gun at the same time, and so far I've found the game fairly difficult. Unlike many gamers, I'm not scared of Hard so that's what I'm playing on. This game, like the first, gives you Vita-Chambers so there's no such thing as a game over. Without a game over, by default you could consider the game 'easy'. So while I'm only starting at the amusement park level, I've been having a blast. Just fyi, on hard the splicers take at least 8 rivets to kill, and if you try to melee it's like a boxing match taking 4-5 blows to kill one. I've been sent to the vita chambers already about 4 or 5 times as I get used to the controls and such (been a while since playing a FPS). I like this game much more than the first so far, even tho Rapture is no longer a new and different world - but the actual areas you explore are. This game is about immersion and it does a fantastic job of it, and on top of that they fixed the nagging issues present in BS1. If you don't like the game that's fine, but your arguments aren't very valid.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Hmm it sounds like you just hate games with much story? since your attacking Fallout 3, Bioshock and Dragon age? I love all of those games since they have so deep story.
And you can turn the vita-chambers off, there you have your death system.

TheDrHuw

Jul 23, 2009
seems your one of those people who think there original by saying "oh, modern games are crap campared to old, classic games". Oh and your arguement is a bit vague, kinda need to explain more mate. Well just my opinion from what you've given us

irishstormtrooper

Mar 19, 2009
MurderousToaster said:

I would agree, but I couldn't understand a single thing he was trying to say.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
TheDrHuw said:
seems your one of those people who think there original by saying "oh, modern games are crap campared to old, classic games". Oh and your arguement is a bit vague, kinda need to explain more mate. Well just my opinion from what you've given us
No you can boil my rants down to old crap is better than new crap, but you can also boil it down to new crap is not trying hard enough to polish designs and mechanics leaving old crap the lesser of evils.