"Bioshock".... yet another zippy rant.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i dont get why it has good gun play i mean its quite slow but not really slow to respond just slow to aim but i mean its good enough to spin 180 and head shot a spider. I think its alot like killzone 2 which i alsolike despite it having slow gunplay

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
rabidmidget said:
How good bioshock is really depends on who's playing it, if you came in expecting yet another fast paced FPS you would probably be disappointed, however, if you are a fan of good use of atmosphere in games; are fascinated by moral philosophy and enjoy creative level design, then bioshock would be a game you wouldn't want to miss
As much as I hate to use the term, this.
And to continue the originality, I declare this to be a Grammer Nazi picnic.

Anyway, I must disagree with your point on poor AI. Bioshock's AI was good in my opinion.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I agree in spirit with the OP since I am not a big fan of the "ooooh it's an experience" thing. I wasn't a big fan of interactive movies the first time they came around, but then again I suppose with the everyman gaming now I can see why they are making a comeback.

That said I don't see how Bioshock is even remotely confused with that kind of thing. Bioshock is a competant, customizable shooter, with a decent storyline and a fairly unique setting.

I do resent people trying to call Bioshock an RPG (which it is not), but trying to say it's an atmospheric tour (if I understand this correctly) is not correct either. Sure it's not a sandbox, and there are other shooters which admittedly did a lot of the same things better, but there is no denying that it's a pretty solid game along with that atmosphere.

My biggest problem with Bioshock was that they seemed to get a bit sloppy with it. I find it kind of odd that they paid attention to story details while making sure that the corpse of a backround character is mutilated in the right way (someone recently posted a screenshot of this), but never seemed to get around to fixing a glitch where after being disarmed for an event, the proper amount of ammo is never returned to you.

Well that, and I wonder how those potato chips are still fresh enough to be edible after all this time (ditto for the cakes and stuff). Is there some kind of fully automated food production/packaging plant or something? I mean honestly the place was supposed to be self sufficient, but with the total breakdown I was seeing it's a wonder that everyone hasn't starved to death (craving for ADAM aside).

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:
Susan Arendt said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
vivadelkitty said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Paridice said:
I agree. Bioshock has a lot of great things and story 2 it. Do tone it down please.
And would you also please tone down your use of numbers in place of words?

Think of it, if Bioshock was as bad of a game as you make it out to be, it wouldn't have the following it does from dedicated gamers and reviewers alike.

Sure, it may not be the best game ever, but it most certainly isn't a travesty. There have been far worse games in history, particularly from the Phillips CDi.
Look at how well Twilight and cod piece 4.5(mw2) is doing... popularity>qaulity my friend, popularity>qaulity.
Alright, so I guess that since games like Psychonauts/Okami/Shadow of the Colossus/Bioshock have a devoted fanbase, that means they're rubbish? Might I remind you of how popular Ocarina of Time is, or perhaps the original star wars trilogy? Bioshock may not be the greatest game out there, but at least it dares to do things different, a trait that seems to be lacking in today's industry.

Edit: And you're taking digs at Fallout 3 and Dragon Age too? Forgive me, but it seems like you don't truly appreciate game immersion for what it is.
Thats all well and fine that BS has fans but its watering down the industry and that I can not stand.... they have done nothing differently they took a design aesthetic from SS2 or dues ex and raped it/dumbed it down.... they are doing what everyone else is doing..... its not even on the same levels as the other games mentioned....
In a word, bullshit.

Now, you're not going to get me admiring BioShock for its fine shooter qualities, because its actual gameplay, while solid, is far from innovative. It's a decent shooter, no more, no less. What elevates BioShock is the way it tells its story. The level to which you choose to delve into Rapture's history is entirely up to you. If you want to seek out and listen to every last audio diary, you can, but you lose nothing (gamewise) if you don't. Looking at the graffiti on the walls, listening to the jukeboxes, soaking up all the atmosphere that helps you really understand what Rapture is about is purely a matter of choice. You can just go in, plasmids blazing, and still have a great experience, or you can take extra time and explore. That's not "watering down" the industry, that's empowering it. Developers typically have the choice to make a story-based game or an action game, depending on the kind of audience they want to attract, but BioShock illustrated that you can do both.

Bottom line, you're either a troll who's bored and picking a fight before the release of BioShock 2, or you simply don't like the game (which is perfectly valid) and because it doesn't meet your personal standards, it's somehow hurting the industry.
So you are saying the game is fine and there's nothing wrong with it?
I can't let it go they are destroying qaulity left and right for what? Faster development cycles?

The game was launched with glaringly huge issues and everyone seems to not give a damn.... same BS of apathy that had made politics a joke.....

I always come from the direction that they can do mroe with a game so when soemthign is so unfinished I just can not let it go.

now as for trolling that's hard for me to tell because of my bad grammar my opinion tends to be crap then I go and try to have spice it up with humor and it all come across as a doubler negative.... it's not helping that most can not see the flaws in BS do not think it has flaws and that just depresses my opinion of the industry and its consumers more in the end its my opinion that BS could have been better but that did not happen and they didn't even try to fix it which saddens me more..... while alot of people enjoyed it it dose not help me feel the industry and consumer base is over complacent with apathy much how the music industry is.....

Maraveno said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Maraveno said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
-snipped for dramatic effect-
snip
Unfortunately rag reviews default to the standards used by the times, these days they don't sweat the details ,all that matters is if its good enough and good enough equals to above average or more and by those standards mine are to damn high because I expect abit more from a game that talked about giving you more not less.....

I may as well be a game snobb always wanting more but IMO thats better than being complacent with the dumbed down average of the day.....

Maraveno said:
Axolotl said:
Maraveno said:
For the love of all that you hold dear don't ever just quote a post that big. Seriously.
Hmmm I'll edit it with a snip :)

I am just pissed off at the OP's shallow vision

that's all :)
Well shallow is,thy name BIOSHOCK! And halo ep 3.......and MW2........ME2...oh wait I need to finish it first.....darn semantics..... *hides*
Halo 3 despite my cruel hate for it isn't a bad game it's actually rather good
ME2 Is the perfect game so by god you should get off this forum young troll
MW2 also despite my cruel hate for it is not a bad game
and ofcourse Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are and will be ace!

With this you have lost all credibility
I didnt think I had any to begin with, rant is rant after all..... Halo ep 3 is not bad for a 15$ 8-12 hour ep....oh wait..... now ME2 I am a annoyed with they took all the stuff I enjoyed out of it but its not too bad so far MW2 meh worsest of the new COD games..
Oh, please. Never said there was nothing wrong with it, so don't pretend that I did. This proves to me that you're simply trolling for attention, rather than trying to actually debate.

Moving on.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Bioshock is not a game its an experience the shooter elements are bad but its not meant to be seen as a FPS as the art deco and design elements make it a wondrous experience.
The sad thing is some people believe that, that somehow an interactive movies "experience" is more important than the sum of its parts...namely game mechanics and anything else as if their mind is turned off and the spooky scripted horror elements surprise and entertain them....oooooo shiny.......... er what...where was I....er...

Ah yes I am so tired of the "Like the experience of" with tone of a IQ depraved rodent(on very very bad days) when people gush about Bioshock or any other under developed modern game..... and yes I looking at you as well Fo3.......

Anyway.... on with my main rant.... (warning block o'text imminent)

I am sorry but dark messiah was far more engrossing due to its advanced game mechanics and AI(story/dailog is much worse than than BS's then again BS's is more sound bites and short hand than full B movie dailog that's offered in most shooter class games.....) BS is well...... a shallow art deco inspired action title that is just....... lacking..............the game it's unfinished and incomplete and under developed when it ever comes out of beta and they fix the lack of a death mechanic,items every f r a k k'i n where on all difficulty settings, wonky weapon balances, retarded AI that if it where not for the "water" and "health" scripts they'd be as bad as Jericho's "see it kill it before it dies" AI ...its not just a lousy shooter but a poorly made game out side of the art design and modlei...er... no the modeling sucks too due to the limits of the console focused 30 FPS cap which twitch's the frame rate randomly on some of the models.........(sigh if they only released a SDK it could have been the best thing ever.........sigh)

Really to gaming its a travesty like the new star war eps are to sci fi films in general and star wars in particular. Sure its popular...but so is twilight and a bunch of other great for the genre they were trying to aim at but to me BS is on the same level as Alpha Prime,Nercovision,Cryostaisis and even (god I can't believe I am saying this) Damnation.... and ya know.... Alpha Prime,Nercovision are more fun........ and Cryostaisis is more engrossing....

PS:yes...I been holding it back till I ran into to many people with the lights off while someone was home.....
Well, you were certainly right about the rant part. That is: a speech or text that does not present a well-researched and calm argument. Given the lack of logical, or even thoughtful arguments. I'll just pass this on by.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Bioshock isn't good. This isn't news to me personally. I didn't actually find the atmosphere or story to be that interesting.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
vivaldiscool said:
Well, you were certainly right about the rant part. That is: a speech or text that does not present a well-researched and calm argument. Given the lack of logical, or even thoughtful arguments. I'll just pass this on by.
What happens when one with poor communication skills tries to tackle a topic that's a bit beyond him? It becomes a train wreck I am not trolling, least not intentionally. I still believe that apathetic consumers and devs have made gaming worse via simplification/mainstreamization but so what it seems my opinion is not only un popular but un supportable because I can not communicate that well.

Also mis placing my frustration on fans of BS is not helping me any... but then I consider consumerism to be based on trend and fad and not qaulity as the modern age works more on advertisement than the true qaulity of the product

anyway way to much agnst,lint and ideas foaming in my head >< and it always seems to come out as incoherent...

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
some people find the game good, some people find it bad, if you like it, you like it, if you dont, you dont, lets not rant about it please?

Oct 19, 2008
Bioshock was a fantastic game, I loved every little aspect of it.
I would go as far to say that it's my favourite game of all time.

If you don't like a game, don't rant about how much you disliked it.
It just makes you seem like a needy wanker.

Gorrister

Apr 17, 2009
I'm gonna call troll. But I'm pretty sure that's established by now.

Give me a compelling storyline combined with stellar visuals and emmersive atmosphere over Halo anyday. S'why I like Dead Space and Bioshock so much.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I loved bioshock. the only gameplay issue I had was that there was no sight shooting.

Oct 19, 2008
I know I've already posted, but this time I actually read what you had to say.
Along with everyone else, I'll call troll.
But I completely disagree with you buddy.
I found that Bioshock's story and environment design was immersive, and the gameplay was the icing on the cake.
The game was fantastic in just about all areas, and allowed for many different styles of gameplay.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Paridice said:
I agree. Bioshock has a lot of great things and story 2 it. Do tone it down please.
All of which disjointed and poorly implemented...
A lot like your 'rant'. I can't even take offense to it as it looks like it was written by 5 year old who's discovered coffee for the first time.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Please, for the love of God, spruce up the OP a tad. I'm not joking when I say it hurts to read.

From what I can tell, we're on the same page on BioShock, but I'm not absolutely certain we are because you just repeatedly chopped the English language in the throat.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
vivaldiscool said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Bioshock is not a game its an experience the shooter elements are bad but its not meant to be seen as a FPS as the art deco and design elements make it a wondrous experience.
The sad thing is some people believe that, that somehow an interactive movies "experience" is more important than the sum of its parts...namely game mechanics and anything else as if their mind is turned off and the spooky scripted horror elements surprise and entertain them....oooooo shiny.......... er what...where was I....er...

Ah yes I am so tired of the "Like the experience of" with tone of a IQ depraved rodent(on very very bad days) when people gush about Bioshock or any other under developed modern game..... and yes I looking at you as well Fo3.......

Anyway.... on with my main rant.... (warning block o'text imminent)

I am sorry but dark messiah was far more engrossing due to its advanced game mechanics and AI(story/dailog is much worse than than BS's then again BS's is more sound bites and short hand than full B movie dailog that's offered in most shooter class games.....) BS is well...... a shallow art deco inspired action title that is just....... lacking..............the game it's unfinished and incomplete and under developed when it ever comes out of beta and they fix the lack of a death mechanic,items every f r a k k'i n where on all difficulty settings, wonky weapon balances, retarded AI that if it where not for the "water" and "health" scripts they'd be as bad as Jericho's "see it kill it before it dies" AI ...its not just a lousy shooter but a poorly made game out side of the art design and modlei...er... no the modeling sucks too due to the limits of the console focused 30 FPS cap which twitch's the frame rate randomly on some of the models.........(sigh if they only released a SDK it could have been the best thing ever.........sigh)

Really to gaming its a travesty like the new star war eps are to sci fi films in general and star wars in particular. Sure its popular...but so is twilight and a bunch of other great for the genre they were trying to aim at but to me BS is on the same level as Alpha Prime,Nercovision,Cryostaisis and even (god I can't believe I am saying this) Damnation.... and ya know.... Alpha Prime,Nercovision are more fun........ and Cryostaisis is more engrossing....

PS:yes...I been holding it back till I ran into to many people with the lights off while someone was home.....
Well its never a good idea to

A:post with a tree and or head up your rear.
B:post with a chip on shoulder the size of what you think your imaginary ego is.
C.Post angry.

This tends to make one sound like a elitist prick or worse..... tho I am use to being the fool so meh.....its my shat now I just have to find my mop and bucket >>

The consuemrs/sheep spewage is nothing new its always been there effecting and changing things over time you either see it or you don't its semantics really, much like art and a good game its in the eye of the beholder.

Still what gets me is they took what could have been a great game down a few pegs by not bothering to finish it and I see this as a huge problem for the industry so much so its made me sell off my current gen consoles more than once....and regret putting all my eggs in my PC more than once.

All I can do is reiterate what I been trying to discuss so poorly about the game is bland and boring once you dare to peel back its theme, if shiny can keep you happy all the time then you are far more lucky than I am.

Dead space wave much more balanced and paced so much better, sure its not a sand box game with various play styles but you didn't need all the flash and fuss to make it such a good game.

SmartIdiot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Paridice said:
All of which disjointed and poorly implemented...
A lot like your 'rant'. I can't even take offense to it as it looks like it was written by 5 year old who's discovered coffee for the first time.
How about a 30 something who haz fuzz for brains and uses rocks and occasional cave paintings to bang out grammar with? >>

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Oi... are we going to have a lot of bioshock trends like where having with the flood of Mass Effect trends?

(I just had a chill up my spine when i thought about Mass Effect 3... i guess we will find out if thats the main game bioware is working on when PAX east comes around)

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Rednog said:
Wait...are you comparing Bioshock to Dark Messiah: Might and Magic?
If so yea...maybe you're more of a niche gamer, because that received mostly average reviews and was in general passed on by most people. Hell Gamespot nominated the console version Flat-Out Worst Game in its 2008 video game awards. And you also take a shot at Fallout 3? Yea...

No death system? Damage and death is a choice of a developer. You're criticizing the system where your character dies and is regenerated by the local Vita-Chamber? Which they actually bother to address in the plot.
Why bother to complain when other games let you takes enough bullets to kill a herd of cattle, and 3 seconds behind cover makes you good as new? Hell other games have done more ridiculous death systems, for example Fable 2, you fall over and pop back up after losing a tiny sliver of exp. WoW has you walk back to your corpse as a ghost. One could argue that having a permanent death in a game where you have to see a load game screen can pull you out of the game, whereas having a legit excuse to keep going without it keeps atmosphere.

Also calling it incomplete and unfinished is an over exaggeration. If you truly think this then you really have to go out and play the numerous amounts of crap that is available on the market that makes Bioshock look like it was crafted meticulously over a hundred decades.

Not the best but by no means is it bad or the worst.
Actually the most realistic death system is where if you die the game shuts off and implodes, thus you can never play it again, your forever dead. That would make it the most realistic game, since if you die once you can never play it again. Oh and while we're at it, make FPSes have gun-jams, and lets get rid of magic since it isn't realistic.
See what happens when you make things realistic OP? You get real life, and we play games to escape real life.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Normalgamer said:
Rednog said:
Wait...are you comparing Bioshock to Dark Messiah: Might and Magic?
If so yea...maybe you're more of a niche gamer, because that received mostly average reviews and was in general passed on by most people. Hell Gamespot nominated the console version Flat-Out Worst Game in its 2008 video game awards. And you also take a shot at Fallout 3? Yea...

No death system? Damage and death is a choice of a developer. You're criticizing the system where your character dies and is regenerated by the local Vita-Chamber? Which they actually bother to address in the plot.
Why bother to complain when other games let you takes enough bullets to kill a herd of cattle, and 3 seconds behind cover makes you good as new? Hell other games have done more ridiculous death systems, for example Fable 2, you fall over and pop back up after losing a tiny sliver of exp. WoW has you walk back to your corpse as a ghost. One could argue that having a permanent death in a game where you have to see a load game screen can pull you out of the game, whereas having a legit excuse to keep going without it keeps atmosphere.

Also calling it incomplete and unfinished is an over exaggeration. If you truly think this then you really have to go out and play the numerous amounts of crap that is available on the market that makes Bioshock look like it was crafted meticulously over a hundred decades.

Not the best but by no means is it bad or the worst.
Actually the most realistic death system is where if you die the game shuts off and implodes, thus you can never play it again, your forever dead. That would make it the most realistic game, since if you die once you can never play it again. Oh and while we're at it, make FPSes have gun-jams, and lets get rid of magic since it isn't realistic.
See what happens when you make things realistic OP? You get real life, and we play games to escape real life.
Realistic translates to(at least from zippy speak) = excuse to not balance or make it fun(alt fire for weapons,ect).

They had a poorly used money system in BS, it seemed to me that in a city system that was fueled on capitalism that money was so poorly used, sure in the wake of the apocalypse money lacks a real purpose beyond heating but the system in place before the fall should still use it and love it thus weapon mods and other things want more of it, now it makes sense that Adam would be needed for plasmids and not money but one could have further balanced it out by needing some money as a way to interface with everything(like make up some odd setup for hacking that used money to balance the device used to hack you fail it takes it all and may not call bots you don;t use enough money you get bots).

It just seemed lacking when it was not used to revive you, if you don't have the money the next time it takes more or it places you further away. This could bring in bots coming down each and every time a hacker is sensed on a vending machine and other little odds and ends that were not even thought of....