BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
So the utterly borken endings remain broken, but now we get more of them?
Thats terrible, but more closure, or any clousre at all would be nice. Better than nothing.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.
Moviebob is wrong and by his own admission doesn't know what he's talking about when speaking about the endings or Biowares creative process.
Who cares if he's happy or not?

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
ravenshrike said:
No, the premise is that Synthetics will wipe out Organics. So they wipe out advanced organics to keep synthetics from arising that will wipe out organics. Fucking textbook circular logic. Rebellion is in and of itself irrelevant.
The premise is that synthetics will wipe out all organics. So the Reapers are set up to harvest advanced civilizations at a specific point during their development to prevent that from happening, rather than wipe out all organic life.

It's a pretty clear distinction, and (like most of Mass Effect) a premise that's been used in SF before.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Yeah, it's me. I've been a big fan of ME since the first one came out, Wrex is my favorite character, so I decided to make him my avatar. And I am doing well, I trust you are too.

As for my opinion of the DLC. It's what I expected it would be, as disappointing as I found the ending (Hint: Very Very) I didn't think that they would seriously alter it in a DLC, at least not one that was going to come out soon, and not one that would be free.

As good as I thought the indoctrination theory was, I didn't think Bioware would actually adopt it, though I did hope. For me, the DLC is what I expected and it's what I wanted, realistically speaking anyway. I would've liked more additional content, and for them to actually change the ending, but for what the DLC is, I'm content with it. Though I probably wouldn't get it if it wasn't free.

And yeah, after seeing that stupid, nonsensical ending and then getting an advertisement for DLC shoved in my face. That was a poor move from Bioware. And it seems to run counter to what they wanted in terms of DLC because a lot of fans have said that they wouldn't buy a DLC pack for ME3 unless the ending got revamped, didn't want to waste their time if the galaxy ended up being trashed in the end regardless.
It really doesn't motivate me to want to buy more DLC either beyond the epilogue cutscenes. Unless the next gameplay pack happens to be really good and well recieved, I'll probably give it a pass.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
No one (except for Valve) -plans- free DLC ahead of time, so I'm willing to bet that this really is what Bioware says it is.

Probably just a bunch of screenshots with text boxes that explain an assortment of character's post-ending lives and some of Shepard's consequences.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
After waiting about a month and replaying the ending, I've managed to piece together the broken bits of it myself. While I'm excited to see some more clarification from the people who actually wrote the ending, there isn't seemingly close to as many plot holes as people are making there out to be...

In fact, dare I say it. I actually like the ending.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Aw yeah, attempting to make the ending better by loading on what will NO DOUBT be equally stupid shit.

Place your bets on what it's gonna be folks. I got a dollar on "Extending that scene where they get out of the ship on a forest planet to show them all living in some stupid idyllic fishing village or some shit."

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
You know I would have preferred to pay for a full retcon ending with extended gameplay and the lot, kind of a ME3.5 with about 1-2 hours game play than get this "explanation" for free.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
How can you claim there's any artistic integrity to a climax that takes as its biggest reveal a secret that can be so eloquently summed up as a pimp my ride meme?

No amount of post ending text is going to fix that. People should seriously just stop caring already, and start taking Yahtzee's advice on why it's better to not get hyped up.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Audacity said:
Congratulations to all the people who pissed and moaned like entitled little bitches. You've proven that video games are not an art. You've also shown that if something is not what you want you will complain. You will *****, piss, moan, complain and whine till you get your way.

Congratulations. You're children. Entitled little kids who scream and yell till they get what they want.
Since when was art above criticism or change? Since when does it stop being art if the artists listen to criticism? Since when does an artist changing is original idea to better fit with what people want render his work not art anymore? Are books not art because they are edited and because authors will listen to their editors? Are paintings not art if a the artist goes in to touch something up?

PLUS even if people were to believe your very stupid, implied argument that "forcing" an artist to change their vision destroys the artistic merit of that work, that would not apply here since the ending IS NOT CHANGING. They're just sticking in more stuff to make the magic star child and all that other non-nonsensical crap make sense.

Way to whine about whining, by the way. Top notch.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Well, for one thing, I have no idea how to feel about this until I have this DLC ending in hand.

Does it "fix" the ending? Does it make a "new" ending? And just what do they mean by "additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes"?

This could just be more garbage that doesn't fix the core of the ending issue -- or the PR machine is still stuck on stupid spewing bullshit..

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
gabx said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Well, it still doesn't seem to fix the annoying CIRCULAR LOGIC of the Catalyst, the jarring twist of the ending, none of the mechanics of the endings actually being explained, and the Mass Relays being destroyed.

But it fixes the most pressing issue at least, and it does it for free, so I guess I can be grteful for that.
I'm kind of tired of people using the phrase "circular logic." Circular logic would imply that you have a premise and you use that premise to prove itself. The Catalyst's premise is that machine always rebel, etc. so he concludes that he needs to stop it. You might not agree with his premise, but it is not circular logic.
Killing us with machines in order to protect us from machines. Sounds like circular logic to me...

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Killing us with machines in order to protect us from machines. Sounds like circular logic to me...
Killing us to protected the REST OF THE UNIVERSE from potentially more harmful machines.
They are not protecting us (as that's why they are killing us off... duh).

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Anyone else see this?
Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3 this Summer
^ That.
Clarified below...
* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014.
INTERNET CONNECTION AND ORIGIN (EA), XBOX LIVE, OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK ACCOUNT REQUIRED. VALID ONLY AT THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT), XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE OR PLAYSTATION STORE. VALID WHEREVER MASS EFFECT 3 IS SOLD. MASS EFFECT 3 FULL GAME AND ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA) REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA).
This as well...
EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Hey, fun. Can't wait till summer when this comes out and we're flooded with even MORE ME3 threads about how the DLC wasn't enough, the ending still sucks, fuck you casey hudson, blah blah blah. Don't think it'll happen? Read through some of this thread. Half the posts are "this DLC STILL won't fix it!"

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
The.Bard said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Aren't YOU an optimistic one? There are going to be even MORE threads about the ending when this comes out. I can only wonder how the nutjobs on the social forums will react to it.
Seriously. Forget about RGB. We're gonna need CMYK to keep track of it!

This is by no means a conclusive list (and it assumes the DLC is the same for RGB), but it's a start. The groups that will emerge are those who:

- Love Ending / Hate DLC
- Love Ending / Love DLC
- Hate Ending / Hate DLC
- Hate Ending / Love DLC
- Hate People who Hate Free DLC for being "entitled"
- Hate Bioware for Making DLC and being "artistically corrupt"
- Hate EVERYONE for still talking about it

What did I miss?
You forgot the slavering nutjobs for a start.

You've also got Renegades that will be pissed to all hell if Paragons get anything even RESEMBLING a happy ending, Cerberus cheerleaders who will still be frothing at not being able to get their TIM sex tymes, (Though those two are more limited to Bioware's social forums) and thats off the top of my head. Any further ad we start listing the real weirdos.