BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
If you people think for a fucking second, that the timing of this story is anything but damage control on EA's part after winning the Worst Company of 2012 award then you are fools.

Do not buy into this shite, EA is still shit.
I don't really think the Consumerist's award means all that much to large companies. Granted, receiving a few shiny turds of various colors might make a couple people raise an eyebrow.

I'm still surprised they responded to that though. I was expecting silence like the previous winners.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Imbechile said:
Audacity said:
Congratulations to all the people who pissed and moaned like entitled little bitches. You've proven that video games are not an art. You've also shown that if something is not what you want you will complain. You will *****, piss, moan, complain and whine till you get your way.

Congratulations. You're children. Entitled little kids who scream and yell till they get what they want.
Pretentious person ahoy!

Games ARE NOT ART!!!! Atleast, not AAA games. Do you think EA gives two shits about art?
And you attack people because they want something that's been promised to the for the last five years? Yo've just shown that you're more childlish than them.
i know. how dare he think games are a respectable medium for telling a story or showing an experience. shame on him. i hate it when people think games deserve any respect. which is why i hated the movement to change the ending. games aren't an art, they aren't respectable, so why care when one isn't a gift from god? if it isn't worth any respect, why should they have to work hard on games? why should we get good games if they won't be respected for it?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
This is going to be like putting a band-aid on a gushing wound.

What was with that one guy who basically said "you have no idea what we have planned." Obviously nothing to do with extending the games final chapter, seeing as you just pulled this extended cut idea out of your ass.

I'm disappointed that they aren't planning on introducing after the end of the game DLC, that's where the fun is, which is what I assumed the plan was, something like stopping the races of victory fleet from rioting after the relay explosions, playing as Garrus of course, think of how cool that could be.

But no, all the other DLC will probably be tied into the main game, which I don't want to replay through, which basically means I probably won't be buying any of the other DLC they make.

Hopefully the extended cut will be cool, this solution just doesn't appeal to me very much.

gabx

Nov 19, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Well, it still doesn't seem to fix the annoying CIRCULAR LOGIC of the Catalyst, the jarring twist of the ending, none of the mechanics of the endings actually being explained, and the Mass Relays being destroyed.

But it fixes the most pressing issue at least, and it does it for free, so I guess I can be grteful for that.
I'm kind of tired of people using the phrase "circular logic." Circular logic would imply that you have a premise and you use that premise to prove itself. The Catalyst's premise is that machine always rebel, etc. so he concludes that he needs to stop it. You might not agree with his premise, but it is not circular logic.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
This summer? So... obviously already in development before the game released, and now we get to hear all the butthurts try to claim some kind of "victory". Fun.

I like free stuff.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Imbechile said:
Audacity said:
Congratulations to all the people who pissed and moaned like entitled little bitches. You've proven that video games are not an art. You've also shown that if something is not what you want you will complain. You will *****, piss, moan, complain and whine till you get your way.

Congratulations. You're children. Entitled little kids who scream and yell till they get what they want.
Pretentious person ahoy!

Games ARE NOT ART!!!! Atleast, not AAA games. Do you think EA gives two shits about art?
And you attack people because they want something that's been promised to the for the last five years? Yo've just shown that you're more childlish than them.
i know. how dare he think games are a respectable medium for telling a story or showing an experience. shame on him. i hate it when people think games deserve any respect. which is why i hated the movement to change the ending. games aren't an art, they aren't respectable, so why care when one isn't a gift from god? if it isn't worth any respect, why should they have to work hard on games? why should we get good games if they won't be respected for it?
Whoa, hold it there!!
Respecting something =/= art, and also, not art =/= not respectable

I think most games aren't art, but I respect them and I think games are the best medium out there.
So everything I said still stands. Audacity is acting more childish than the people he critices.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Now all the Indoctrination Theory guys will all be like, "fuuuuuuu all the work we put into a satisfying ending, all revealed as being phony".

Seriously though, Indoc Ending is pretty cool and satisfying. Too bad it's not true, and an obvious desperate attempt to find closure by clawing through a cave with your fingernails.

It's hilarious though, the desperate.

My friend: " no, ITS TRUE. ITS TRUE GODDAMIT."
Me: "well..it would've been cool if it was true. Sounds pretty coo..."
My friend:" IT IS TRUE!. Nothing else MAKES SENSE. I WANT MY ENDINGG"

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Imbechile said:
klaynexas3 said:
Imbechile said:
Audacity said:

Pretentious person ahoy!

Whoa, hold it there!!

I think most games aren't art, but I respect them and I think games are the best medium out there.
So everything I said still stands. Audacity is acting more childish than the people he critices.
then what exactly makes something art? i apologize that i jumped to my conclusions though, but so many people who say games aren't art also act like games don't deserve respect.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
It's most likely A & C. There are definitely hints, poorly rendered graphical textures and the like, that would seem to show that Mass Effect 3 was kind of a rush job.

Plus I've never brought this up before but part of the story seems to be missing.

After Tuchanka, I personally think that the story picked up too quickly. The Quarian/Geth part didn't seem to have the same build up that Tuchanka did, and after that you were essentially put on a cruise course to the end.
I thought that there would be another species conflict that you'd have to resolve, like how you ended up choosing Salarians/Krogan, Geth/Quarians, I expected that we'd then have to make a choice between Asari/Turians. You know, adhering to the rule of 3, 3 big conflicts, 3 hard choices.
Or hell, I was expecting more with the Batarians but instead gaining the allegiance of an entire species was relegated to a sidequest.

Maybe it's just me, but the story just seemed to go way too fast after Tuchanka.

So, yeah I think, much like Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 was rushed, even if it's not as immediately apparent, the ending might be the most obvious aspect, if that is truly the case.

VaderMan92

Sep 9, 2010
Did anyone else thing it was ironic that after talking about how much they listened to the fans in the FAQ about the new ending they closed the comments? Especially since they said that they listened to the fans. My question is, which fans did they listen too? They obviously didn't listen to most of the fans who complained that the ending was nonsensical and contradicted everything up to that point. Also they are leaving in the space magic sooo I'm not exactly filled with confidence in bioware's ability to fix this. I didn't think that the ending was bad when observed on its own merits but the fact that this was the ending for a game where our choices were supposed to matter it makes no sense and does not fit within any of the themes of the series in any way shape or form.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Imbechile said:
klaynexas3 said:
Imbechile said:
Audacity said:

Pretentious person ahoy!

Whoa, hold it there!!

then what exactly makes something art? i apologize that i jumped to my conclusions though, but so many people who say games aren't art also act like games don't deserve respect.
I wouldn't say that people who say games aren't art act like games don't deserve respect. They are probably fed up with the whole "we must push games towards art" thing that is sometimes, like in this case, used as a cheap argument to dismiss criticism.

As for what is art? I still haven't given it much thought, but most games, especially AAAs, that play it safe, are not art. They are products first and foremost, made to make as much money as possible, and no amout of passion you put in it is going to change the fact that it's still a product.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Can't sully what you have never had
Let's hope they actually listened to peoples problems with the ending

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
BakaSmurf said:
WanderingFool said:
BakaSmurf said:
Casey Hudson decided to cut most of this conversation out, because he thought it would have been TOO LONG, just FYI. Really says a lot about his creative process.

************!

That was beautiful, AND THEY WENT AND CUT IT FROM THE FINAL GAME!?
Yup, and you can thank that hack jerkhole Casey Hudson for that, since he had complete control over the ending of the game, this entire fiasco is his fault. How he managed to get in a postition to have total dominance of the reigns for the last 20 minutes of the game is beyond me. Blackmail on a certain high-up EA employee? Bah, whatever, he's a hack writer and I hope that he doesn't get any further work in this field for the rest of his life, one epic series' ending ruined by his "writing" is one more than was nessicary.
Yeah, I've had it with Casey's writing. Hes a hack writer and shitty producer, you want proof? Look at the ending, I mean who dropped the ball to stop this fiasco from happening? Either way, it looks like Bioware just threw there hands up and said, "Buy our shit and get out".

Thanks Casey Hudson, I will not go out of my way to not buy anything that has your hand in it from now on.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Hopefully once this comes out people can put this silly little controversy to rest and actually find something else to talk about. It actually staggers me how this game can be 40 hours long, have 39 hrs 50 minutes of solid excellence and all people focus on is the last 10 minutes that aren't so solid. It's exactly like what happened with Deus Ex last year. That game was so good, but two weeks later, all anyone could ever talk about were the stupid boss fights.

That said, people are going to ***** no matter what they do. I quite like how Bioware has decided not to change the endings, but instead expand upon them, which is exactly what they needed. If you change the endings, then suddenly the issue becomes up in the air about whether or not the new one or the originals are canon, which would be unfortunate for people who don't have access to the DLC. Really, what killed the enndings was how they were presentation, so if Bioware could fix that up then they'd be fine.