BioWare Asks Gamers if They Want a Mass Effect Prequel

Jan 11, 2009
I'd love to see a game of the first contact war with a split campaign, one as the Turians and one as the Humans. It could work really well as there is an opportunity to show humans as a primitive, foreign species in one campaign and Turians as complete cosmic horrors in the other.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I don't know about a prequel, but I wouldn't say no to a completely different character and scenario from Shep and the Reapers.

How about a scenario like Garrus' career with C-sec - what was the case that made him quit?
Or even Jack's or even Samara's life story - even though it's something of a foregone conclusion on both ends. It'd be interesting to see Jack grow from "a scared little girl" to the "all powerful *****" she became.

Or even a Batarian who fights against the hegemony of his own homeworld - even if it does make him a common terrorist.

But come what may - no more Shepard and saving the universe - just keep things smaller like saving the local planet from idiots / lawbreakers etc.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Kipiru said:
SilverBullets000 said:
Just because you claim to lose intrest in a franchise doesn't mean you won't keep an eye on it
That is exactly what it means, otherwise you still show intrest by reading such news. One either backs out and doesn't bother anymore or he does and he keeps commenting in the hope that his oppinion matters to someone. Simple as that, if you don't care- you don't get to have an oppinion, and as soon as the "I'm through with this franchise" idiots get it, the better.
Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there are more people than you who think the ME franchise would be much better in the hands of someone else?

The "complaining about complaining" is just as bad, if not worse, than the original backlash against the endings. The hardcore fanboys running around yelling "Shepard needs better fans" and fanwanking plot holes and unanswered questions are worse than the people who enjoyed the series and disappointed, precisely because they've done more to harm the franchise than any single complaint could.

ME3 will always be known as "that Bioware game". It's the game major media outlets (and other people in the gaming industry) raked Bioware over the coals for. It's the game that resulted in a large chunk of the project staff bailing over the course of development,

Point is, the people telling Bioware to either stop development (while they still have any sense of morals) or retcon the whole thing have more of an interest in preserving the quality of the series than people who blindly gobble up whatever is thrown their way. That's why you see so much of the hardcore fanbase try to whitewash the complaints about the entire game by saying "it was 99% great!" It wasn't, and there's more than enough evidence to back that up.

I'd rather see Bioware put a bullet in the franchise than see them continue with another nonsensical, plot-device ridden piece of garbage.

Kipiru

Mar 17, 2011
crazyrabbits said:
Kipiru said:
SilverBullets000 said:
Just because you claim to lose intrest in a franchise doesn't mean you won't keep an eye on it
That is exactly what it means, otherwise you still show intrest by reading such news. One either backs out and doesn't bother anymore or he does and he keeps commenting in the hope that his oppinion matters to someone. Simple as that, if you don't care- you don't get to have an oppinion, and as soon as the "I'm through with this franchise" idiots get it, the better.
Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there are more people than you who think the ME franchise would be much better in the hands of someone else?

The "complaining about complaining" is just as bad, if not worse, than the original backlash against the endings. The hardcore fanboys running around yelling "Shepard needs better fans" and fanwanking plot holes and unanswered questions are worse than the people who enjoyed the series and disappointed, precisely because they've done more to harm the franchise than any single complaint could.

ME3 will always be known as "that Bioware game". It's the game major media outlets (and other people in the gaming industry) raked Bioware over the coals for. It's the game that resulted in a large chunk of the project staff bailing over the course of development,

Point is, the people telling Bioware to either stop development (while they still have any sense of morals) or retcon the whole thing have more of an interest in preserving the quality of the series than people who blindly gobble up whatever is thrown their way. That's why you see so much of the hardcore fanbase try to whitewash the complaints about the entire game by saying "it was 99% great!" It wasn't, and there's more than enough evidence to back that up.

I'd rather see Bioware put a bullet in the franchise than see them continue with another nonsensical, plot-device ridden piece of garbage.
Nowhere did I mention BioWare or the quality of ME3. Everyone is free to evaluate a product by their own standarts. But should they find out they "no longer care for it" then they should just point their attention to something else, instead of coming back to discussions about the product they're "no longer interested in", "don't care for" or "are throug with". This discussion is about a game that will happen and BioWare are showing a desire to listen to the players about input that might better the experience for them. So comments from people who are outright saying they "will never play another game in this series" are simply rude and pointless. If someone wants to express an oppinion- by all means, it's your right, but let's stop with the hypocrisy of "no interest".

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Radoh said:
Oh god, I know right?
First contact war would be amazing, though unfortunately a lot of the cool things like the Rachni Wars, Krogan Rebellion, Morning War etc would all not have Humans in it. I'd be totally fine playing a Quarian or something, but it would probably sell less as a result, which is a hard pitch to make to investors.
Racism's a *****, ain't it?

OT: I'd prefer if they made it happen after the games. It'd be interesting to see how it turns out. However, I wouldn't mind if they went for a prequel. I'd still play it. For both of the cases, you don't know what to expect, so this should be good.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
No I'm very much done with Shepard. I want to see some other characters / settings / stories. Also it's about time we get to play as a Turian.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
So let me get this straight, alot of fans say how bad ME3's ending is and Bioware hides behind 'artistic integrity' in their refusal to change it, but now they go asking the fans what they would prefer for the next ME game???

Kipiru

Mar 17, 2011
Tien Shen said:
So let me get this straight, alot of fans say how bad ME3's ending is and Bioware hides behind 'artistic integrity' in their refusal to change it, but now they go asking the fans what they would prefer for the next ME game???
What is it that confuses you? The ME3 story was already done- there was no changing it. Here the story is yet to be specified and they are asking for input.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Bioware's thought process:
"Oh god please say past we have no fucking idea how to salvage the ending we need to do a prequel oh god"

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Mass Effect:
First Contact

Make it a squad-based FPS centered around the First Contact War with at least one mission before contact as a sort of "what if" training scenario when humans were considering the possibility of discovering hostile alien life. I'm thinking along the lines of Republic Commandos for this one though with a level or two of Space Combat because why not.

Muunokhoi

May 18, 2012
Honestly I think they should do a sequel but to avoid the shitty ending of M3 place the story so far in to the future that there are totaly new races and the old are either exticnt or in complete decline. This not only paves the way for a completely new story but shuffles the Mass Effect history in to darkness and for everyone's sake can we please play something other than a human soldier in space that old horse needs to be led into the back paddock and put down (eg WH40K, Halo etc). Are pure alien story at this point would be such a fresh breath of air and a new chance for Bioware not to fuck it up.

Muunokhoi

May 18, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
Mass Effect:
First Contact

Make it a squad-based FPS centered around the First Contact War with at least one mission before contact as a sort of "what if" training scenario when humans were considering the possibility of discovering hostile alien life. I'm thinking along the lines of Republic Commandos for this one though with a level or two of Space Combat because why not.
Thats been done its called Halo.

Cheesus Crust

Mar 8, 2012
I'd prefer it to be after.

I want the universe to move forward not backwards since it might devolve into what Capcom does with practically all of their franchises and we all know how well that sort of stunt goes.

Also, I want to see how shepard's decisions in the game impacts the future generations later on much in the same way that my previous Dragon Age protagonists' have an impact on Dragon Age 2.

I'd have a lot of issues if it were a prequel.

I mean, can they have a prequel which will have a save file that we can import to Mass Effect 1 to see how important it is?

Although the idea of having a prequel without humans does sound kinda intriguing.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
Kipiru said:
canadamus_prime said:
My answer? No. I kind of lost interest in the series after the second game.
"No" to what? If you're saying No to another game in the series, then please go hide in a hole and stop bothering us. If not- then clarify.
Thank you for so kindly accepting my opinion.
/angry sarcasm
:mad:
Sorry- i've just had it with haters. Your oppinion on the subject is valid, if you still have vested interest in the franchise, otherwise it would be just trolling. No to the idea of a prequel is actually my thought as well.
He isn't allowed to voice his opinion about the game if it runs contrary to yours? That is not how discussions work...
Negative criticism is also helpful. It helps Bioware to learn from mistakes and improve upon it in the future.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
A game about the first contact war would be fun. Or, if it's going to be after, try like 100 years after where the civilisations are only just starting to get back on their feet.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Depends on whose writing and if Casey Hudson pulled the same shit that he did with the ME3 ending. If Mac Walters is the writer again then just don't make it, if you get a decent writer then go for a prequel so I can still pretend ME3 didn't happen.