BioWare Breaks Down Mass Effect 3 Game Modes

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
4RM3D said:
I know Bioware is not forcing you. I stated everything on principle (most of it, at least). The interactive movie is just one aspect of a bigger whole.
This is a feature they're not forcing to use. If you were to play ME3 you'd choose the RPG option. It in no way impacts your gameplay experience whatsoever. It probably didn't take very many development resources to create. They're adding it with the hope this will get more people to buy and enjoy their game.

To to sum up your stance: It doesn't affect your gameplay experience. It encourages a wider range of players to enjoy Mass Effect. It probably didn't take much effort to implement. = Fuck you Bioware I'm going home.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Me confused.
I guess it's a nice feature... this could hamper game play alot.
I was hoping for the RPG from the first and the shooting from the second mixed into one.
As long as that's there, I'm happy.

arcticphoenix95

Apr 30, 2010
I still don't understand why they implemented these modes into the game. In the last 2 games, if you didn't like the dialogue you could skip it just by pressing A, and you could set the difficulty to "casual" if things get too tough or if you prefer to get to the next cutscene as quickly as possible. And if you could still do these things in mass effect 3, what would be the point?

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
DuperMax said:
this is what he means by hand holding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

the big thread about someone whining that Fallout 1 was "too hard" is what he means by hand holding. I played FO2 (then FO1) when I was 10 or 11. Figuring out the bloody thing was half the fun.

This lowering to most common denominator is never good for anyone... 'cept executives' wallets.
Stupid people =/= all kids

Making a game that the stupid find inaccessible is probably a good way of improving the quality of the attitude on multilayer games, I think...

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Eh, for me all the RPG stats and equipment setup and stuff is just as much of what Mass Effect is as the story, even if I prefer the story overall.

I'll be sticking with RPG mode, but it's nice to give people options. And, I'll probably go through a story mode playthrough at least once.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
aftohsix said:
This is a feature they're not forcing to use. If you were to play ME3 you'd choose the RPG option. It in no way impacts your gameplay experience whatsoever. It probably didn't take very many development resources to create. They're adding it with the hope this will get more people to buy and enjoy their game.

To to sum up your stance: It doesn't affect your gameplay experience. It encourages a wider range of players to enjoy Mass Effect. It probably didn't take much effort to implement. = Fuck you Bioware I'm going home.
Well, if you put it like *that*, it ain't all that bad. But to quote Fappy (again, because he formulated it so well):

fappy said:
...but I can't help but wonder if Bioware is going to start broadening their audience too far to the point of alienating their fanbase...
It ain't just Mass Effect 3. It's also Dragon Age 2 and Bioware's direction in general. It's a collection of many things, with Mass Effect 3 being the final straw.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
My concern is hat by trying to be all things to all people they might fail at all of them, or, at least the one that's most important to me. (i.e., RPG) That being said, this does seem like the most reasonable way to go about it.

But, don't all the shooter fanatics already have options? That is to say CoD:MW & Battlefield and Halo and all that? Those are a nice diversion on occasion, but I want a character-and-story-driven game. That's the whole reason I buy BioWare games.

I'm still looking forward to this ME3, as I loved the first two.

Can't really judge until we've played it, after all ...

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I have an internal battle inside me right now. My jerkish, hard-core, asshole PC elitist part (Which exists, though I manage to keep it hidden almost all the time), wants to go in ALL CAPS RAGE MODE against consoles, and everything that isn't an exclusively RPG producer right now. On the other hand, the goody two shoes, kind, understanding, part of me says that not everyone wants to be a hardcore gamer, and that I should be happy to see that these people can enjoy themselves, and that more choice is ALWAYS better, never worse.

Honestly, I think the "nice" part of me is correct. Everyone should have a choice of how to play the game, though I will outright REFUSE to play it on anything but Roleplay mode. I do have to admit, however, that the words "Automatic Dialogue" made me cringe, especially when referring to a BioWare game.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll be able to trick my non-RPG-fan friends into playing this, and hopefully that will make them turn to the light side.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Are you listening to yourself? Mass Effect a complex game? My friends and I were playing fucking C&C Tiberium Sun when we were 11.
That's great, I'll take your word for it.

Yeah, moving around 3D space might be daunting for new-comers - which is why they've the first level always much easier than the others (fewer enemies, constant info drip on controls, linear levels, etc). And there's literally nothing complicated about Mass Effect that isn't explained away in the first few minutes i.e. moving, shooting and taking cover. The first game's modding system and item management has been removed as well.
Do you what "perspective" means? It means looking at things from another view or someone else's shoes. So while we as gamers might think to ourselves "Well, this is something I have seen before and I know the logic behind all of the features and how they work in the game" when we see Mass Effect 2, others (read: people who have not been playing video-games for years or decades) would be rightfully confused. This is something that you have to (for once) think as if you are not a gamer who has years of experience, and more of a new-comer who doesn't know the game-logic behind RPGS, FPS, RTS, ect.

A new-comer won't know about all the modifiers that are in an RPG, such as different weapons stats, player stats and so on, meaning that a RELATIVELY (fucking read up on it) complex game such as Mass Effect 2 won't make much sense to them. We can pick up any RPG and always have a rough idea of what the logic behind the game is (that is, what is subject to modifiers such as stats, and what is not) because we've played games that all had the same logic. A new-comer might not get that a red barrel will explode if you shoot it, or that certain items in the environment might be destructible while others are not.

Its these repeating design-choices and features that make up our collective video-game experience, we know the extent and limitations of our interactions with the game enviroment.

So yes, Mass Effect 2 is a complex game for people who are new to video-games, but not for gamers and/or people with experience.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
totally heterosexual said:
4RM3D said:
It ain't just Mass Effect 3. It's also Dragon Age 2 and Bioware's direction in general. It's a collection of many things, with Mass Effect 3 being the final straw.
What things
Bioware "streamlined" Mass Effect's interaction, so that you exactly know what each choice in a conversation does. In Dragon Age 1 you had to actually think before you said something in game. But Dragon Age is another franchise, right? Dragon Age 2 picked up the Mass Effect dialog (among other stuff). Which didn't really improve the game but streamlined dumbed it down more.

Dragon Age 1 didn't really work well for consoles. At least, not as good as the PC version. That was actually (indirectly) a good thing. I mean optimizing games specially for the PC. Instead of the other 99% of the games, which are optimized for the console. But that didn't last long as Dragon Age 2 stripped that one part away and focused on the console instead.

Dragon Age 2 wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't Dragon Age. I also expected more from Bioware, but instead we got something people described as the "Dragon Effect" and one step further away from Baldur's Gate.

Mass Effect 1 was an action/RPG, Mass Effect 2 stripped a lot of the RPG elements away. Even with the simplified RPG elements, Bioware still managed to screw up the class balance, again. And speaking of balance... In Dragon Age 1 the balance was also crap and on top of that the game was far too easy. Although I could have lived with the "easy part".

Mass Effect 3... See my previous post(s).

There is more still, but I don't feel like delving any further into this.

Is Bioware trying to insult us? Scrap that question. I already know the answer. The answer is NO, obviously, because it would be plain stupid otherwise. Then again... No no, I am not actively trying to hate a studio. I want to like game studios, I really do. But they are all making it so hard for me.

I really like The Witcher 2 (minus gameplay balancing); awesome game. The Witcher 2 is everything Dragon Age 2 should (could?) have been. CD Projekt's stance on no DRM in games is also awesome. But then they had to sue gamers who may have played a pirated version. That was just an example. Fortunately, CD Projekt is still on the "good side". I can't say the same for Bioware.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Hyper-space said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Kids these days need even more hand holding?
What? Do you mean like little children or just teenagers new to video-games? Because when it comes to new players, a little hand-holding is necessary.

I mean really, we take it for granted our years (and in a lot of cases, decades) of experience with video-games and its evolution for granted. When we started playing games it was pretty straight-forward and simple, not much to learn besides the functions of like, 3 buttons or something. But that is not the case with new players, seeing as even "simple" games (nowadays) have more buttons than are in a car, which proves a bit too daunting for new players to get accustomed to. Things such as moving around in a 3-D space in a video-game isn't instinctual and require a bit of practice, we might find it easy seeing as we grew into it and have had years to get accustomed to it.

Its ridiculous to assume that ANYONE new to (or inexperienced with) video-games can just pick up a complex (sure, it may be simple to people who have been playing video-games for years) game such as Mass Effect and immediately learn everything they need. Its akin to trying to teach someone all the mechanics of a small plane in less than half an hour.

I applaud efforts like these that make it more accessible to new gamers without sacrificing content or complexity. This will allow new players to ease their way into the game, so maybe they start out in story or action mode, then go on to the RPG mode when they've learned the ins and outs. Its literally a win-win situation, and anyone who moans about this needs to take their head out of their ass.
That's why games should have a tutorial section which would show them how to play.
Dumbing the game down as much as possible won't do them an real good.

Adding a quick and short tutorial section would be fast and easy. But coding 3 separated mods WILL lead to many bugs and will take a lot of time, which could have been used for something else. Maybe something important?

Mass Effect started as a RPG game. If people want to play Mass Effect, they have to play a RPG game. I don't see anyone complaining that Skyrim isn't an adventure game, a platformer or an FPS, do you?
Why didn't Blizzard make an option for Starcraft II to be a FPS because it is to complicated for new player? Oh wait, they were just smart and added a fucking tutorial.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't try to make it a bit easier for newer player, but they shouldn't change the core of the game.
As I said, a tutorial would be enough. Invest the time and resources in something else or release the game earlier.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Paragon Fury said:
You don't decide what is canon Hudson?

Everyone who offed Leliana in the first Dragon Age would like to have a word with you.
You think that's bad? One word: Revan.
I believe that was George Lucas' decision. And it's his IP, so he gets the "word of God" rule for anything concerning Star Wars

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
...Maybe I'm stupid, but aren't these just different names for "Casual, Normal, Veteran, Hardcore, Insanity"? I mean Mass Effect was what got me into shooters. I got through the games on Casual, Normal, and even Veteran. How terrible at shooters do you have to be to not get through Casual? You are talking to someone who can't get through Deus Ex tutorial for some reason... (It's the stealthy bits. I suck at the stealthy bits.)

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I didn't think I could cry any more.

So they're taking out the role playing part if you want to play on a higher difficulty?

And what's all this crap about Bioware saying their stories don't have cannon?

Why is Leliana alive? They couldn't even maintain the most basic level of consistency between the two Dragon Age games.

I'm going to go sulk...

Actino

Jul 11, 2011
Phlakes said:
The FUCK?

They put options in the game? Like other people have a different preference than me? The fucking nerve...

...Anyway, the only relatively reasonable argument I've heard against this is that it'll distract them from doing other things.

That is ridiculous.
Lolololololol, well said. Btw, Casey Hudson said it didn't take much work to do, so there are now no valid reasons to complain.