BioWare Can't Patch Unreadable Text for Non-HD TVs in Mass Effect 2

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Darkside360 said:
Why do people even turn on the text? Personally I hate it. The conversations play more like a movie and allows me to be further immersed with it off.
Some times dialogue is hard to hear for some people.

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
I was wondering why the text was so small. According to my parents our TV is "Older than you are." but then they say that about just about everything.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
If they seriously can't fix this issue via a patch I would suggest they look up DPI, and other font scaling mechanisms. The text is fairly small even on a 32 inch HDTV.

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
Obviously, I can't speak for people with SDTVs, but it doesn't really bother me. I never had problems with Dead Rising when I had an SDTV, so I dunno if I'd be bothered either way.

Personally, I'd rather they fix the ME1 decisions glitch than the text.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
DannyBoy451 said:
Jesus, just buy a moniter and a VGA adapter and stop whining.
Jesus why should i want to puy £20 for a cable to play my 360 on a one of my 16" monitors when my 26" SDTV widescreen works 100% and has a great picture regardless of the res being used?

I got ME2 on the PC so the text issue dos'nt affect me but that comment got me woundup as not everyone wants to upgrade or in my case and view downgrade or has the extra money to spare.

DannyBoy451

Jan 21, 2009
Filtertip said:
DannyBoy451 said:
Jesus, just buy a moniter and a VGA adapter and stop whining.
Jesus why should i want to puy £20 for a cable to play my 360 on a one of my 16" monitors when my 26" SDTV widescreen works 100% and has a great picture regardless of the res being used?

I got ME2 on the PC so the text issue dos'nt affect me but that comment got me woundup as not everyone wants to upgrade or in my case and view downgrade or has the extra money to spare.
If what I said doesn't apply to you, then why would you get butthurt about it?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Slycne said:
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people buy bioware games on consoles? I'll never understand their logic.
Well despite Bioware being a long standing PC developer. The first Mass Effect premiered on the 360, with a PC release coming later. I don't see how it's that far outside of logic that many people would purchase the game on the console. I bought it on the PC, but some people simply prefer gaming on their consoles.
I also am a PC player (Though Ive only recently given in and started playing ME1.) And though with my bias, I can't imagine any other Bioware game on a console over a PC, I can definitely see Mass Effect being reasonable to play on a console. Not as much managing in combat, controlling the fine movements of 1 character only, no where near as many skills to go through...and of course, ME1 was 360 first. So there is logic behinf Mass Effect on a console. Other Bioware, RPGs...not so much. Of course, to each there own and all that jazz.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people buy bioware games on consoles? I'll never understand their logic.
Because as good as computer gaming can be, some people don't have the money for a gaming machine. At least if you buy a console you are guaranteed that every game you buy will work the instant you put the disc into the tray.

I use my computer for strategy games. I use my 360 for most everything else.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
ciortas1 said:
dududf said:
Ha ha!

Poor console gamers, us PC gamers are unaffected.

Join me HDTV and PC gamers in our manacle laughter.

*Bwuahahahahahahaha*
Muhahahahaha!!
On a slightly more serious note, can people seriously just stop whining about this? You can't expect them to pour weeks, maybe months of redesigning and reprogramming all the menus just because some jerkoffs with SDTVs and no self control can't afford a decent picturemachine. It's possible to play these games and being able to read their text, all you need to do is put some thought into WHAT HARDWARE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON.
You should probably quit talking about this subject. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on game engines but can't figure out how to make their game text scale so that it can be read easily on the most common display for home consoles? They can't figure out how to do something other programmers have been doing without even having to think about it for a decade or so? If it is really not an easy fix that just tells me that Mass Effect 2 was even more poorly designed than the terrible interface already does.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
I can read the text quite well on my standard definition TV but I can understand the problem. I personally don't have an HDTV for several reasons:
1. I don't have the funds available at the moment.
2. I'm just so used to "Old Bess" that I really don't want to relearn and get used to a newer TV. I remember one time I played at my older brother's house on his TV and I had a hard time getting adjusted to it. I've had the damn thing for at least 5 years now, it treats me right and I love it all the same.
3. Everytime I see an HDTV being used I cannot see any appreciable difference, and no justification as to why my little SDTV that can is considered inferior and must be replaced by some big fragile behemoth.
4. I hate the whole "HD movement" as it seems to tell me that you shouldn't have to worry about anything else from your screen as long as it looks good.
Of course these are just my opinions and you are free to believe your own. As I said I've had no problem reading the text and its a hell of a lot better than some games (Dead Space and Dead Rising in particular were literally unreadable) but really I don't feel I'm being unreasonable for wanting the ability to increase/decrease the text size for the games I own.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
In response to the people who quoted me:

Keep in mind it's Unreal Engine 3; an engine which has seemed to have absolutely fine subtitles for quite a few games. I didn't actually say it's easy to fix, it's more likely they just wrote the system poorly without keeping expandability in mind. Comparatively, TF2 has a vector graphics system for their HUD so it can look okay on both ultra-tiny and ultra-large resolutions.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Fuck, maybe some people need glasses. I have contacts and sure some writing was a little difficult to see but it wasn't unmanageable and it didn't detract from anything for me on my SDTV.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Fortunately I got an HDTV, after seeing Dead Rising on a standard TV, I knew I had to ditch it.

I feel sorry for those who still have standard, my half-heart goes out to you.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
I like how some assholes are like "Buy an expensive thing or shut up!"
Real smooth.

What text is there, other than subtitles? What is actually damaged by this?

(I think I'll be playing on a 32" SD TV, so that should be alright, won't it?)

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
whycantibelinus said:
Fuck, maybe some people need glasses. I have contacts and sure some writing was a little difficult to see but it wasn't unmanageable and it didn't detract from anything for me on my SDTV.
Or maybe they need to let people change the font sizes like you can in just about every program, on every operating system on Earth. Maybe they need to catch up to what the rest of the software world has been able to do since before graphical user interfaces existed?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I remember the text in Banjo...I lent it to my SD playing friend. He said it made the game unplayable. He couldn't patch it since he doesn't have Live, either.