BioWare Co-Founder: RPGs Are Becoming "Less Relevant"

Aug 17, 2009
If this means they want to eliminate all of the arcane bullshit and micromanaging in RPGs, Godspeed to them.

RPGs have been too bogged-down for too long. The only thing we should take note of is if things like character customization, character growth, and expanding abilities start to go in serious quantities.

znix

Apr 9, 2009
Sounds like Bioware are becoming less relevant.

Thankfully companies like 38 Studios/BHG are stepping up with real RPGs. Skyrim is coming out. Witcher 2 was recently released, etc. Guild Wars 2 will be heaps more fun than Bioware's upcoming crap MMO too :)

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
How about making an adventure game in the fashion of Grim Fandango or Blade Runner?

There are hardly any of those games around. Games that required little to no "run and gun" at all but actual thought. Because of that - they had a great story to boot.

Would that make money? Yes. Just market it well and it will work purely because it will have hardly any competition.

There are too many FPS games around these days. Too many "Action" RPGs that are, essentially, FPS games with some NPC interaction.

Whilst I do like some FPS games - its saturated. Enough is enough already.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
RPGS are releveant, but how they used to be is LESS relevant. You can blend the genres and make the rpg stuff less obvious and that makes the game run better but you are still leveling up etc. Just making them not so much of a grind or as obvious as early rpgs. When you look at jrpgs, they have not evolved or changed at all in the last 20 years or whatever. FF13 was a mess and a chore, same story, characters an world they have in all their games. They need to try something different, cut back the grind, focus on story. No more cliche and whiny characters. If your game has great story and characters we can support and get behind, we will play your game to the end. Add grinding sessions just to level weapons and life isnt needed so much.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
Not really BG was a huge game KOTOR was dumbed down but charming they kept the dumbed down and lost the charming bit.
...and they still sell, which is what matters to them.

Why? Because "dumbed down" games have become more popular.

Now to the question: Is that a bad thing?

For those of us who likes great games with depth, it's a sad thing to see indeed.
For those investor people... well, they're still laughing all the way to the bank.

I think it's sad, but at least i understand it.

EverythingIncredible said:
BioWare, as well as gaming in general as changed.

As DICE will tell you, when they were making Battlefield 2, it was mostly "We're making the game the way we want it and if they don't like it, **** 'em." And look how that game turned out. Now DICE decided to make Battlefield 3 for the audience rather than themselves so the game is really turning out to be a Call of Duty clone with a conquest mode.

Games should be less about the audience and more about conveying the experience that the developer wants to convey. That's how the truly great games are made.
Again: That's the perspective of the naive customers. Try to explain that idea to an investor and see how it goes.

Let's get something straigth now: For big companies, making games has ALWAYS been about turning a profit.

Even the DICE explanation for Battlefield 2 is a sham. It might be how the developers approach it when they have been given a green light to actually make the game, but even before that stage, someone had to convince the man on top to fund it. Some game studios might have less ties to investors, and a more idealistic approach about how to make games that sell well, but at the end of the day, it's STILL about profit. Different road and method of travel, but same destination.

Turning the question around for a minute: Ask yourself why noone is making another "great RPG" that isn't dumbed down? Obvious answer: Because noone in the industry really trusts that this kind of game can turn as great a profit anymore.

Now to the question i want you to answer: Why do you think that trust has been lost in the last decade?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that explains alot, and I see where hes coming from as he hasto sell their games to the masses, the casual market just doesn't care for complexity and a full on RPG in that crowd will simply be ignored.

What I hope for however is that they make a bunch of casual games and one proper RPG project on the side.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Bioware is just making up excuses now as to why their RPG's have been less substantial as time has gone by.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
mwnrnc said:
Strange, I would think that the fact that so many games are taking on RPG elements, like leveling, 'character sheet' development, loot, would make RPGs more relevant than ever before.
And that's exactly it right there. With all of the RPG components getting into other games, there are less people saying "I really want an RPG right now!"

I don't know how accurate of an analogy this is, but imagine if every restaurant in the world - regardless of whether it's italian, mexican, french, or sushi - suddenly added fast food hamburgers w/ fries to the menu for $5. If you KNEW that no matter where you ate that you could get a greasy burger for $5, would you EVER find yourself craving a burger joint? I think most people wouldn't.

For myself, I used to loooooove RPGs. But nowadays, I can find a game that features all of those elements I liked without all of the tedium. I love Mass Effect's improvements. No grinding, no 4 hrs spent selling/buying/gelling all of my stuff... Red Dead's multiplayer has a leveling up system, Halo Reach has plenty of gear to buy/equip. Outside of the story, hardcore RPGs don't offer much you can't find elsewhere, plus some.

So yea, I absolutely agree with Greg that those features in more dynamic kinds of games make a pureblood RPG much less appealing in general. But given the feeding frenzy those hardcore little RPG bastids are in for Bioware, I don't think his phrasing is doing him much service. Blood in the water, Greg! You put blood in the water! Flee for your life!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
That's just wrong. RPG's are more relevant now than ever. The fact that so many developers choose to implement RPG elements in their games doesn't mean RPG in it's pure form is irrelevant. It just means most there are almost no more pure genres left in the gaming industry. That's a good thing. Games that incorporate more than one genre can offer a lot more if done right. But pure RPG will never be gone. If Bioware becomes just another EA drone, another company will emerge, hell-bound to return RPG to it's roots. It's just how this industry works.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
My god... the sheer butthurt on this thread is facepalm worthy.

Bioware is NOT saying that RPGs are irrelevant but that the GENRE with all the cumbersome mechanics like 1% pistol damage or the vast weighty list of inventory is getting old and out-of-date.

Instead rather than focusing making a good RPG, Bioware focuses on making a great game with a fully interactive story. They refuse to be weigh down by genre conventions which they believe is IRRELEVANT.

This title is misleading.

Bioware believes that people play games like Mass Effect because they want to meet Tali or battle for the fate of the galaxy and not because they want to figure out what pretty armor to wear etc.

People play the Witcher 2 for choices and consequences, for characters like Saskia and Roche, and for the story and not because of the fun inventory sorting and stat-building.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Savber said:

Bioware is NOT saying that RPGs are irrelevant but that the GENRE with all the cumbersome mechanics like 1% pistol damage or the vast weighty list of inventory is getting old and out-of-date.

Instead rather than focusing making a good RPG, Bioware focuses on making a great game. They refuse to be weigh down by genre conventions which they believe is IRRELEVANT.
You mean making action games....

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Well, I've always argued that there is no such thing as a "Pure RPG" They don't exist, not really. They're just games with various elements of role-playing mixed in. Maybe that's why I don't get pissed at Bioware as much as most people.

Pure RPGs don't exist. The elements of RPGs are meant to represent growth. Growth is only one aspect of a good game. So, yeah. This idea of an "RPG" was never really relevant. :\

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
Savber said:

Instead rather than focusing making a good RPG, Bioware focuses on making a great game. They refuse to be weigh down by genre conventions which they believe is IRRELEVANT.
You mean making action games....
Ok. Lets say that Bioware is making action games. And?

Seriously, the elitism that is implied is sickening and just downright stupid.

"OH NOOOEZ, BIOWARE MAKES ACTION GAMES! BIOWARE APPEALS TO STUPID PEOPLE! HERP DERP!"

It's a freaking GAME. Why are we acting like playing RPGs is a sign of intelligence?

If Mass Effect 2 is the direction for future action games, I say count me in.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Inkidu said:
Well, I've always argued that there is no such thing as a "Pure RPG" They don't exist, not really. They're just games with various elements of role-playing mixed in. Maybe that's why I don't get pissed at Bioware as much as most people.

Pure RPGs don't exist. The elements of RPGs are meant to represent growth. Growth is only one aspect of a good game. So, yeah. This idea of an "RPG" was never really relevant. :\
The last 4 or 5 bioware games are not RPGs tho they are watered down adventure style games focused on action over everything else. They are trying to change the meaning of the genre forgetting its easier to change genres............

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
There was a time when developers made games that appealed to themselves and anyone else who'd like it. And anyone who didn't like it just wasn't part of the audience. They made games more for themselves.

Now it is just "How to we appeal to "

It's less about games and more about marketing.
Concerning major developers, that was a time when games were much cheaper to make and people had less choices in entertainment. Smaller ones still obviously make the types of games they themselves would play because they have the luxury of doing so.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I feel like nobody is going to actually read what he said, and just jump to conclusions based on the title...and hey! I'm right.

OT: He has a good point, but people here just see the words "less", "RPG" and "BioWare" in a title and begin to flip shit. Everyone saying "He's wrong, almost every game is implementing RPG elements!" are really missing the ENTIRE point, and are actually agreeing with him, FFS.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
MissAshley said:
There was a time when developers made games that appealed to themselves and anyone else who'd like it. And anyone who didn't like it just wasn't part of the audience. They made games more for themselves.

Concerning major developers, that was a time when games were much cheaper to make and people had less choices in entertainment. Smaller ones still obviously make the types of games they themselves would play because they have the luxury of doing so.
How in the hell dose a AAA not sell well when utter crap can sell and do well?

I guess at the end of the day they have trolled us all...

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
BioWare has gotten so wrapped up in how to appeal to mass audiences that they forgot what makes RPGs good.

bam, this.

i mean, jeez if you cant make a range of games that stand apart and sell well in their niece category's then i honestly doubt your ability to make one uber game that can fill all the roles
it's basically the same thing except you're forcing that uber game on everyone that doesn't want 75% of it, so you know what? they'll just pirate it or ignore it for being a bloated cash-grab

everyone goes on about 'gamer entitlement' but really, it's the company's that start this there's no standard 'game length' or content requirement, you don't have runtime on the box like a film, and i don't see a way of judging that fairly anyway
the issue that gamers argue is this,
if they don't get the slice of the entertainment they want from this large
omni-game then despite how much other content there may be they wont be enjoying themselves and the value to them is far smaller than a game that's specifically what they want

the value is elsewhere they could probably buy 2-3 steam games with highly addictive game-play for the value of the bloated omni-game
all i can say is prepare for a massive wave of piracy if you go down that road.

the only way i can see this Working is if you sell an fps, say then have dlc that unlocks a new way to play the game entirely through rpg elements
possibly from different sides of a war
but they would have to be a good long length or the value / game-play is taking a nosedive
and that's really what it's about
personally i'd love to play the same game from different viewpoints, a logistics / rts war, at the same time in a different dlc version you play the game as a single one of the soldiers you deployed and snipe off half the enemy army, then as a commander of a boat, and coordinate artillery, sink enemy ships all unlock-able from the main game, and have each campaign remember how you played the last and keep the persistent universe tight knit and keep continuity between your personal campaigns
that would work for me, i'd be quite happy with that in-fact.

epic are planning to do wonderful things by going back to basics with multi-game ideology and not packing crap into every corner of a game that it does not belong in
i think bio-ware should carefully consider their ideas before they start loosing money to it
cause i don't know about anyone else but i wont be buying bloated games with 75% weird content that i don't want

#edit#
missing sentence, fixed