BioWare Dates Mass Effect 3: Leviathan

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Despite my hatred for the ending (for me the EC just turned the Shit into polished shit) I was never one of the super angry, bat crap crazy people as I loved the rest of the game. However I have tried to replay it twice now and I just cannot do it. The ending has actualy managed to suck out the enjoyment for me. For all 3 games. Something about knowing that all the epic stuff you do will end with a magic space kid telling you a bunch of bullshit that makes no sense has ruined the whole series for me.

Bit pissed of about that so I will give it a miss.
I feel your pain. I own both the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, and while I got all the trophies for the PS3, the ending just made it so I couldn't get those last achievements on the 360. Knowing that none of your choices matter in the final moments of the game just kills the entire trilogy for me too. I don't feel the weight and dread behind the choices anymore.

I wish I could be as excited about this as I was about Mass Effect 2's DLCs, but I just can't. My forces can already stomp the Reapers, and knowing that this 'traitor' Reaper will only increase a number on the table and not change anything else just kills it for me. Adding Zaeed and Kasumi changed the ending to Mass Effect 2. This will not have the same effect for me. I'll still buy this and play it, but for the first time it will be for the trophies and achievements first, and storyline a distant second. And that kills me.
(sorry if this is a double post. Got an error message the first time I tried to post this)
yeah, this is why i havent, unlike in the last 2 mass effect games, played through the story more than once. different reasons however, its more like... i know how the story ends, one way or the other, we pull it off. i spent 100+ hours over 3 games doing everything i could so that i would have the best chance i could to win, and i did. i tied up just about every loose end there could be before moving on from each game, so the story of Shepard, MY Shepard, has ended.

i could start up a new one, but ive gone through mass effect 1 thrice now, and the story isnt that interesting anymore, since i know how everything plays out. and for mass effect 2.... well i could go back to that one because i never got any of the post story dlc, but my GOD is it jarring to shift back to the ME2 combat system from either of the other games.

anyway, long story short (and boy were these games a long story), i might go for this dlc, but i might not. depends on how i feel about starting up a finished story again

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Saviordd1 said:
Yet no one calls the same foul when Dawnguard came out, or when ME2 overlord came out years ago, or when knights of the nine came out for Oblivion...the list goes on; DLC or even expansions tied into the original game aren't unusual and normally don't get the same amount of skepticism.
Speak for yourself. :p

I was calling foul on Dawnguard when they told me I'd have to give them $20 for it. I will never be convinced that it has nearly enough content to be worth a third of the original title price, especially when the lists that people have compiled suggest that it's not nearly as much as it sounds like. >_>
Honestly I thought it was worth it...depending.
If you want new weapons, new story, new companions and new armor; dawnguard is for you. It's story takes about the same amount of time to get through as the main quest from skyrim not including the side things.

If your really into exploration...you'll be more disappointed.

Andy Chalk said:
Saviordd1 said:
Yet no one calls the same foul when Dawnguard came out, or when ME2 overlord came out years ago, or when knights of the nine came out for Oblivion...the list goes on; DLC or even expansions tied into the original game aren't unusual and normally don't get the same amount of skepticism.
But in all of those cases, the fiction in which the DLC was set was ongoing. They could very easily have taken place after the main storyline had been completed. Not so with Leviathan. Mass Effect 3 ended Mass Effect. How do you compellingly follow up on that?
By making the story itself interesting. Even if it doesn't play into the ending people can still load the saves that are automatically made before the final battle and play through the DLC for what it is.
If it affects the ending somehow even better.

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
I'm looking forward to it, I would like to see them explore the Reaper's origins a bit more.
Plus my favorite part about the ME franchise is the setting, so more mass effect is always good for me. XD

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
I think the Catalyst is being hilariously optimistic in assuming that, say, Batarian slave traders or Vorcha mercenaries are going to settle down and buy a farm just because everyone is now technically part synthetic. War? War never changes, even if the biological makeup of the combatants does.
The Catalyst isn't concerned with such things. Slavers and mercenaries are easily policed whilst what the Catalyst is trying to protect us from is potential galactic genocide. It's the difference between the world as it is right now with warring nations, violent revolutions and organised crime but largely stable versus what happens after Skynet is activated.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Mysten said:
SonicWaffle said:
I think the Catalyst is being hilariously optimistic in assuming that, say, Batarian slave traders or Vorcha mercenaries are going to settle down and buy a farm just because everyone is now technically part synthetic. War? War never changes, even if the biological makeup of the combatants does.
The Catalyst isn't concerned with such things. Slavers and mercenaries are easily policed whilst what the Catalyst is trying to protect us from is potential galactic genocide. It's the difference between the world as it is right now with warring nations, violent revolutions and organised crime but largely stable versus what happens after Skynet is activated.
Hmm. I thought that was the message the Catalyst was trying to impart, that melding the two types of lifeform would lead to peace. Plus, y'know, in my playthrough I made peace between the Geth and the Quarian, the Krogan and the Turian, basically I united the entire galaxy. It seemed pretty peaceful overall!

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
darth gditch said:
I'm looking forward to it, I would like to see them explore the Reaper's origins a bit more.
Honestly I would have preferred if they'd never explored the Reapers origins at all and just left them as this race of sinister giant machines who want to kill us all for some reason.Because what they did reveal moved the Reapers from "sinister" to "pants on head retarded".You're wiping us all out to save us..cheers for that guys

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I gave up on this game a long time ago.
It was about the time I went back and played ME2 only to have my game get stuck in a glitch just before the ending on the citadel. At that point I vowed to never spend another cent on this franchise.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
Hmm. I thought that was the message the Catalyst was trying to impart, that melding the two types of lifeform would lead to peace. Plus, y'know, in my playthrough I made peace between the Geth and the Quarian, the Krogan and the Turian, basically I united the entire galaxy. It seemed pretty peaceful overall!
That's Shepard's doing though, the Catalyst's concern ends at ending the vicious cycle of synthetic uprising. You can still create perfect Synthesis but destabilise the krogan by killing Wrex and curing the genophage.

Even with the "perfect" synthesis ending, it's not going to stop raiders from raiding - they're still raiders. The army of Reaper constructs now assisting in the effort for peace would make policing those actions far easier though.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Mysten said:
That's Shepard's doing though, the Catalyst's concern ends at ending the vicious cycle of synthetic uprising. You can still create perfect Synthesis but destabilise the krogan by killing Wrex and curing the genophage.
Sure, but just got the impression from the ending video that the synthesis had the unintended (at least, unintended by the Catalyst) side effect of making everyone into some happy-clappy hippie brotherhood by changing all the DNA and making everyone one big family. All that talk of peace and a better future and whatnot.

Perhaps that's just a side-effect of a Paragon playthrough though, and nothing to do with the New Galactic Family.

Mysten said:
Even with the "perfect" synthesis ending, it's not going to stop raiders from raiding - they're still raiders. The army of Reaper constructs now assisting in the effort for peace would make policing those actions far easier though.
Nah, I think the Reapers might need to be shoved back into deep space for numerous reasons. Firstly, too many bad memories; even if everyone had formed a new society based on love, tolerance and free handjobs it's going to be hard for the former organics to forget all the chaos and murder they caused. Secondly, what else are they going to do? They're not like the Geth, the Reapers were built to kill. I can't see them integrating well into a functional society, picking out a few planets and colonising so they've got a nice place to raise baby Reapers composed from the tortured souls of other species. Thirdly, you can't really use them to combat raiding or piracy or as weapons in any form, as that'd be like trying to hammer in a nail with a nuke. They're not even that effective as a deterrent since Shepard proved that it's possible to take them down with sufficient effort.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Our artistic integrity is to important to change the ending.

"New 10$ DLC announced that changes the ending."

Unless we get money for it of course.

SonicWaffle said:
Nah, I think the Reapers might need to be shoved back into deep space for numerous reasons. Firstly, too many bad memories; even if everyone had formed a new society based on love, tolerance and free handjobs it's going to be hard for the former organics to forget all the chaos and murder they caused. Secondly, what else are they going to do? They're not like the Geth, the Reapers were built to kill. I can't see them integrating well into a functional society, picking out a few planets and colonising so they've got a nice place to raise baby Reapers composed from the tortured souls of other species. Thirdly, you can't really use them to combat raiding or piracy or as weapons in any form, as that'd be like trying to hammer in a nail with a nuke. They're not even that effective as a deterrent since Shepard proved that it's possible to take them down with sufficient effort.
The reapers are all going to die. That was the whole point of the reapers before they ruined it with the God Child. They were machines that had a design flaw forcing them to reproduce every 50000 years by using organics to make more of themselves. I always thought that was a precautionary measure by their creators.

That's why all the reapers looked like Protean heads. Because the last time they had a Protean Buffet and that's why the Human Reaper looked like a Human.

The reapers might function for a year or 100 more and then self destruct.

But it might also not be the case. After all we have the Leviathan an Ancient Reaper. Heck nothing of the lore is left intact by the end they are done. The Geth and the Reapers aren't even similar anymore because the Reapers aren't really AI. They are controlled at all times by the God Child. They are sort of like Enemy AI in videogames.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Mysten said:
Actually, I believe you can't. In Synthesis, Wreav is no longer a short-sighted, narrow minded idiot and stays on Tuchanka to rebuild rather than trying to conquer the galaxy.

With unlimited access to knowledge, stupid people can't be stupid anymore.

SonicWaffle said:
They're not like the Geth, the Reapers were built to kill.
Well.. The reapers are synthetic "copies" of the organic races which have been destroyed to make them. Their purpose is to preserve the memories and unique identity of all the organic species they have destroyed. The killing was simply the result of impersonal machine logic, which isn't relevant once they stop being machines.

The Reapers also possess enormous amounts of knowledge and information. Each one represents the remains of an entire species with all its learning, science and experiences still intact.

Sure, maybe you wouldn't want them around. But why would that hold true for the hybrids in the synthesis ending? The Reapers are truly living things now, their perspective has changed, and they're incredibly useful to boot. It would be pretty intolerant to hold a grudge against them for something they did when they were still machines and had no genuine free will.

On topic. Yeah, it is kind of hard to imagine getting seriously invested in a story which has already conclusively finished, but I'll give this a chance.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
No offense Bioware, but isn't this the exact same plot hook you use for 90% of Mass Effect sidequests?

"Shepard! We had some scientists studying something incredibly dangerous."
You're always doing that, why don't you ever give them some bodyguards or someth-
"They're all dead now. We don't know why. Probably related to the super dangerous thing."
THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Do you realize how many scientists death's are on your hands? At the very least you could start a charity fund for their families.
"We need you to go investigate."
Why me? I'm the single most important person in the galaxy right now. Or hey, if you're gonna have me clean up their dead bodies every time why not just send me with them as protection in the first place!?
"Hackett out."

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I think a lot of people underestimate the ME3 ending. When I played through the Mass Effect games (well, 2 and 3 because PS3), the issues of Destroy/Control/Synthesis comes up a lot. Well, not so much "Synthesis" but "coexistence". If you cured the genophage and brought peace to the Quarian/Geth conflict then destroy becomes harder to pick, but synthesis becomes more appealing. If you ended up re-writing the Geth and sabotaged the genophage then control seems to be right up your alley. All of the decisions you made over the course of the games is what should have led you to your final decision so they do in fact matter. Somehow people were expecting 50 different endings of something. That is asking the impossible.

Now it was poorly executed, but I can see how your decisions in the previous games play a part in this final decision. The glowing kid was out of left field. Yes, Deus Ex did it much better and destroy/control/synthesis was not what the whole game was building up to. The whole game was "fight the reapers, take back Earth" then at the end it was, "well, you can watch the fight for a bit then you interact with this machine which will either destroy the reapers, rewrite the reapers, or turn everything into some half-organic/half-synthetic abomination."

We wanted a confrontation against the reapers. That sadly wasn't what we got. While I am disappointed in the ending, I don't hate it as much as others do. Also, this wasn't the first game ending that I was disappointed in. Lots of games have bad endings, that's just how it goes.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
You guys don't see it do you... This is going to be The Legend of Marauder Shields. Cue A Link To The Past Dark World theme.